PDA

View Full Version : Camellia buds?

jonmareymo
10-15-2008, 09:27 AM
Hello,
I heard someone say that squirrels like the buds from camellia shrubs. Any knowledge of this? They are all over the place this time of year and I would like to try some out on my guys (esp. since there will be a lot of them around their release area) but wanted to confirm if they are safe or not.

I won't give them any until I get the OK.

Thanks!

FallensMommie
10-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Yes squirrels do eat them. I am waiting on my to develop more so I can feed to Fallen.

jonmareymo
10-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Yes squirrels do eat them. I am waiting on my to develop more so I can feed to Fallen.

Thanks F.M.! How developed should I let them get? Here they are about an inch long, can it hurt the squirrel's stomachs if they are too green?

FallensMommie
10-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks F.M.! How developed should I let them get? Here they are about an inch long, can it hurt the squirrel's stomachs if they are too green?

No. See if they will eat it now if not wait till they bloom. Fallen eats hibiscus and roses while they are buds and even once they bloom. My roses are suffering as I am keeping the rose hips on so he can eat them but it makes my rose bush all sticky looking...he's worth it though :jump

Heres a website I go by:
http://www.moondance-sugargliders.com/sugar_glider_plant-tree_information.htm

jonmareymo
10-16-2008, 07:48 AM
The camellia test was a success, they were very well received by my three... Thanks for the advice F.M. and the great website!