PDA

View Full Version : Dandelion greens

Chesters_mom
10-13-2008, 07:07 PM
I will never look at dandelions quite the same ever again. That annoying little yard weed that manicured lawn owners love to hate! I did a perusal of the internet to see just what nutrients Chester might benefit from them and discovered the following:

This food is low in Saturated Fat, and very low in Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Folate, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Copper, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Iron, Potassium and Manganese.

It sounds like with the economy and grocery prices soaring, I might try me a little dandelion green salad soon.:)

ShesASquirrelyGirl
10-13-2008, 07:11 PM
I would buy Dandelion greens from the store. They are very healthy for both us and the animals but the outside ones you need to be weary of. Make sure they are at least 500 feet from any road or any other pollutant source , never been sprayed or had chemicals dumped into the soil, make sure there is no bird feces or poisonous plants around etc.

island rehabber
10-13-2008, 08:08 PM
My nonna (grandma) used to make dandelion greens in a soup broth, with chick peas and little bits of salami.....yummmmmm :D

digiandchipper
10-13-2008, 08:52 PM
My nannie made dandelion wine - don't know what she did with the greens:D

Stores around here don't sell dandelion greens - can ya order em online or something?? We don't even have any in the yard (bet we would if I DIDN'T want any:osnap )

Chesters_mom
10-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Soup? Yum! That sounds tasty. The wine? hmmmm I struggle with grape wine lol. It sure sounds like folks knew how to do before with what they had.
I washed those good today I got them right out beside my back door where I know we haven't put any chemicals etc. but thanks for the heads up, I really wasn't thinking about that at the time. I'll see if our grocery has them they have a pretty good selection of veggies, he seemed to like them a lot better than the turnip greens I bought him, Little boogers got me turning flips here trying to get him to eat healthy!:)

ShesASquirrelyGirl
10-13-2008, 09:41 PM
My nannie made dandelion wine - don't know what she did with the greens:D

Stores around here don't sell dandelion greens - can ya order em online or something?? We don't even have any in the yard (bet we would if I DIDN'T want any:osnap )
Do you have any whole foods? They sell dandelion greens. Most quality grocery stores should as well in the lettuce/and greens section.

digiandchipper
10-14-2008, 11:20 PM
We DO have one, teeny little natural foods store... I'll try there, thanks:thumbsup

acorniv
11-03-2008, 08:54 PM
They are a common ingredient in mixed greens - read the bags in the grovery store - you may find you've eaten them.

We have a large yard and don't spray. I dig up dandelions and give them to my squirrel dirt and all. She likes the buds and flowers best - loves to take the blossoms and rub her face like she's putting on make up :D Then she digs through the dirt and mostly plays with the thing, but eats some. Our red clay is high in iron and I figure cleaning herself afterwards gives her some good nutrients.