PDA

View Full Version : ??????

oblivion
08-17-2006, 01:00 AM
hi, i'm caring for a male gray squirrel he's eating well both the milk and the pedialyte and is going to the bathroom stimulated or not his eyes are not open yet and is furred, he does move about but his stomach is still fat looking, is this gas and should i be giving him simethicone and if so how much, or is he just healthy, sorry its been a while since i've had one so young. :thankyou

island rehabber
08-17-2006, 07:24 AM
hi, i'm caring for a male gray squirrel he's eating well both the milk and the pedialyte and is going to the bathroom stimulated or not his eyes are not open yet and is furred, he does move about but his stomach is still fat looking, is this gas and should i be giving him simethicone and if so how much, or is he just healthy, sorry its been a while since i've had one so young. :thankyou

OK slow down for a second...why is he getting Pedialyte along with formula? And what formula are you using? Is he dehydrated, and if not, why Pedialyte?

Secondly, have you weighed him on a gram scale to determine how much you should feed him? This is essential to prevent BLOAT (I say this so many times I feel like the BLOAT POLICE) which occurs from overfeeding. So, if his tummy is round but not hard he probably is just a healthy chubby squirrel. If it looks distended while the rest of him is pretty skinny, there is a problem. Need more info on this baby in order to advise you.

thundersquirrel
08-17-2006, 01:07 PM
i recently had two squirrels who had big ol' bellies. we thought it was bloat, but they were sooooo hungry, and otherwise completely healthy, so we just realized it was their natural tummies. still, put that squirrel on a routine diet, like IR said. don't wanna take any chances. :thumbsup

Secret Squirrel
08-18-2006, 06:23 AM
oblivion....
If you don't have a gram scale there are 28.349 grams to an ounce. I had this link and used it almost daily when I had the 5 grays in early spring.
I am adding this link to this thread....if it works!!! Ha Ha!! :thumbsup
Maybe this can be posted in a topic or thread of it's own, squerly !?:dono

http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/ounces-to-grams.htm