PDA

View Full Version : Questions

moss
10-10-2008, 11:22 PM
1. 2 squirrels is best because they're social, right?
2. I know bigger is best but what is the minium sized cage for 2 squirrels? (most likely 2 greys since they are most common in Flordia)
3. Is it best to have 2 males or 2 females together?
4. I know that squirrels need at least 1 hr of natural sun light a day. Can they only be in an outdoor cage during that time? You can't put a harness on them can you? I think I'd be afraid about it hurting them or them getting away.
5. Is cat saliva really toxic to squirrels? I've heard that's a myth. It seems like anyone's saliva, including humans wouldn't be good, not just cats. I know that human saliva is toxic to birds.
6. Is oak and River birch branches ok for them?

Um.. I think that's all my questions. I hope I'm putting this in the right section..

susanw
10-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Why are you asking these questions? Are you rehabbing?

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
10-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Squirrels are wild animals and should be enjoyed in their natural surroundings. If you are really interested in them and would like to have some, I would recommend getting into wildlife rehab. Then you can have babies half the year (raising and releasing them) and overwinter some the other half (although the ones you overwinter will NOT be friendly because you will be preparing them for release). If you really want a forever squirrel, I would still say to get into rehabbing. Many rehabbers have squirrels that are nonreleaseable due to injury or birth defects, etc. and could use someone to take them and give them a good home.

moss
10-11-2008, 09:11 PM
I want to raise an abandoned baby squirrel and keep it. not in a million years would i ever release it and i see nothing wrong with that. lots of people here have pet squirrels.

thanks for answering my question Gammas