PDA

View Full Version : IS selling rescued squirrels in Fl illegal?

Caglemedic
10-08-2008, 01:38 PM
On the website Ocala4sale.com there is a person selling a 8 wk old squirrel for 75 dollars, I have tried to talk to them to soft release him but Money talks. Does anyone know the legal aspects of this?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-08-2008, 01:45 PM
I would imagine that it is against the law. Pay the 75$ and release that baby!:thumbsup

Buddy'sMom
10-08-2008, 02:22 PM
AGAIN? :sanp3

I remembered this from before, Caglemedic -- (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10966&highlight=ocala4sale)

Does this seem to be the same seller?? I guess they figure the dust has settled and no one will be paying attention anymore? :shakehead They obviously did not count on TSB!! :nono

TexanSquirrel
10-08-2008, 02:48 PM
That's terrible!

Caglemedic
10-08-2008, 05:52 PM
If I was working and had the money I would but my medical problems are incredible. I was a Medic for 9 years and have paralysis and damage to the right side from a tumor. Its so complicated I may have to go to Miami or Jacksonville just to find a surgeon. My co-pay last month at 20 percent were over 250 dollars, next will be higher.

I don't know if its the same one but Ocala4sale asked me to find the legal info for them so they may have the guidelines there. I also coached and pleaded with them to do the right thing. They are in the flying squirrel business, selling 2 week old bottle fed babies. Its hard enough on someone experienced but with no experience! The flying squirrels are 10, I could afford that but not the formula right now. So I just have to let it go, for my family. I hope with the kind words I have written them they may follow it. I directed them to this board, and other websites and gave the a crap load of info.

But they did ask for information so I don't think they are horrible people. I believe they may do the right thing so please be kind to them. I really think they will listen, they do care about the baby.

philomycus
10-08-2008, 06:03 PM
:shakehead

I could make a run south....???? And "buy" all they have. Maybe they would give me a price break. Of course I'd rehab and release. I would just hate for them to think then they could get away with it. What do ya'll think?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Go Get em!!!:bowdown :bowdown :alright.gif

ShesASquirrelyGirl
10-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Cag,
If they cared about the babies they wouldn't try to sell to the first idiot who showed money now would they? Sorry but no one selling wildlife deserves to be treated nicely. I am pretty sure they know its illegal as do everyone else, however this is why they think they will get the money for it cause you can't buy them anywhere else.
Its usually illegal in most states to keep any wildlife in your possession with out the permits to do so, let alone selling them. Not even rehabbers have the right or permits to sell them.

Sissy
10-08-2008, 08:11 PM
:shakehead

I could make a run south....???? And "buy" all they have. Maybe they would give me a price break. Of course I'd rehab and release. I would just hate for them to think then they could get away with it. What do ya'll think?

I'll donate to the cause, just say when and where. :thumbsup

philomycus
10-08-2008, 08:16 PM
I'll donate to the cause, just say when and where. :thumbsup

Just don't cash that check I sent you.....:rotfl we'll be $$ swapping forever. BTW- did you get it??

I hate to ask for funds. But I too am completely strapped after this busy, busy season.

Give me the phone number by pm someone, I'll call, I'll go get them on Sunday. I'll let you guys know how much $$ they want for all of them and go get them. And grovel for help. I ESPECIALLY want these baby flyers....they need to be in good hands !!!!!

I may??? be picking up the two Palakta squirrels too on the way??? I'm waiting to hear back from the person there who needs help.

Sissy
10-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Just don't cash that check I sent you.....:rotfl we'll be $$ swapping forever. BTW- did you get it??

I hate to ask for funds. But I too am completely strapped after this busy, busy season.

Give me the phone number by pm someone, I'll call, I'll go get them on Sunday. I'll let you guys know how much $$ they want for all of them and go get them. And grovel for help. I ESPECIALLY want these baby flyers....they need to be in good hands !!!!!

I may??? be picking up the two Palakta squirrels too on the way??? I'm waiting to hear back from the person there who needs help.

Ripping it up right now! You go girl, whatever I can do to help you just let me know.

philomycus
10-08-2008, 08:47 PM
No need. I called both people who were posing. One person said the little flyer died!!! :gun2

The other said they re-released back into the wild.

too late. Can someone keep an eye on the newspaper down there for future issues so we can move quickly next time?

Legomom
10-08-2008, 09:15 PM
It looks like an on-line paper, so I will bookmark it & keep an eye on it. Will let you know if anything else pops.

Legomom
10-08-2008, 09:19 PM
These are what come up under a search for 'squirrel' right now.

I am selling a FLYING Squirrel for 20 dollars obo please call willing to trade for ferret Site: Ocala4Sale
Posted: 2008-10-06 22:14:28
Phone: 352-361-1202

Wanted FREE or very cheap baby squirrel. Ive owned squirrels before and im lookin for another baby, Site: Ocala4Sale
Posted: 2008-10-07 20:06:36
Phone: 352-812-1426

FLYING SQUIRREL- abandoned by mother- very young, still pink. Needs bottle - feeding. $10. MALE SUGAR GLIDER & HEAVY DUTY CAGE + ACCESS. $350. Awesome Pet! Pictures available. Leave msg. Located in Citrus Springs, near Dunnellon, 20 mi. W of Ocala. Site: Ocala4Sale
Posted: 2008-09-24 15:40:02
Phone: 352-566-8306

philomycus
10-09-2008, 10:26 AM
The two ads for selling are no longer valid. This is frustrating for all of us. Blah!

zoogirl723
10-09-2008, 10:35 AM
There is an ad at Gainesville4sale.com advertising a female flying squirrel for sell or trade. $75 I am not sure if this is the same person who advertised in ocala4sale or not. For those of you who contacted this person please take a look at the number just to be sure?

Thanks

Amy

Caglemedic
10-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Cag,
If they cared about the babies they wouldn't try to sell to the first idiot who showed money now would they? Sorry but no one selling wildlife deserves to be treated nicely. I am pretty sure they know its illegal as do everyone else, however this is why they think they will get the money for it cause you can't buy them anywhere else.
Its usually illegal in most states to keep any wildlife in your possession with out the permits to do so, let alone selling them. Not even rehabbers have the right or permits to sell them.
I think they released because I was nice, I am normally a nail em to the wall person but they did communicate and apparently released. It's better than the other way of being sold. I am in no way of standing up for them. If it was like that then in the past I wouldn't have come here for help. I will keep watch as I always have and let you guys know. We have to realize in these times people will do bad things just to get by. We will have to Change and adapt to our enviroment. I am going to get Ocala4Sale the exact law from WCF in order so that thier rules can be updated. I am in no way happy about these people selling, its not our right to impose ourselves in the animals land then give the idea that they are invading ours. But I know I am trying to be a better person, so please don't critique me on just doing the right thing. It worked out. I have always kept watch on my lcal ads, letting the various animals groups aware. I found an ad of a guy selling pigs for practice, he was stopped immediately.

Legomom
10-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Well, I poked my nose into the ocala4sale site & here's what's there right now:

orlando4sale.com:
Netherland dwarfs - purebred and pedigreed, pet - show quality. most colors, even hard to find colors. blue, pearl, orange, chestnut, blk otter. opal. squirrel, chinchilla, black, rew etc. 8wks - up. prices start at $10. I also have some cages available and supplies. 4-h and ffa discount. price includes some feed, and pedigree. leave a message if no answer as I can not have my cell on at work.
Phone: 407-416-3334
Posted: 2008-10-25 13:06:13

gainesville4sale.com
Female flying squirrel. Asking $75 or trade for female sugar glider or other exotic.
Phone: 352-466-5009
Posted: 2008-10-04 21:00:46

That second one might have been addressed already. Anyone willing to check out the first?

Caglemedic
11-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Netherland dwarfs are show bunnies and I am close contact because I am looking for a good show buck for my pretty pretty prize winning doe. I keep close eyes on ocala4sale and craigslist.

Oh yeah heres a picture of my rescue rabbit Barley. May he enjoy life as a spoiled bunny!