PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a rehabber in Florida

lizharrell1
10-08-2008, 09:06 AM
I am looking for a rehabber in or around Putnam County Florida who would be willing to take my two babies, a male and a female, who are approx. 9-10 weeks old, completely weaned etc. As much as I have enjoyed these two that I have had since they were 2-3 weeks old, I am finding it more and more difficult to handle them. The male, especially is becoming somewhat aggressive. I had found a woman here in our county, but she won't take them until they are 16 weeks old for release. Please don't think I am mean or anything for wanting them to go to someone who has the facilities and the experience in handling these little guys until old enough to be released. Help!!!!

Buddy'sMom
10-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Thank you for looking for someone to continue to care for them until release. We have a number of people in your general vicinity and I'm sure one of them will be able to care for your two. :)

FYI everyone -- Palatka is located about due SOUTH of JAX and due EAST of Gainesville (at Rt. 17, not at the coast) ---- any volunteers with room for two??
(Liz, let's see who responds -- if no one does soon, we will start contacting those in the area and see what we can arrange for you.)

:thinking Since you didn't mention, I am hoping the little girl has shown no ill effects from having "tasted" the electic wire yesterday?? :dono

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

lizharrell1
10-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the reply!!!! And no, the little girl is fine.......eating, drinking, poopping and peeing and acting her normal self. Right now, she is refusing to be caught so that I can put her back into her cage and generally just being a pill. I am sure it is a game to her but she is trying her hardest to destroy my living room. I tried calling a squirrel rescue in Gainesville (45 minutes from here) but the lady that does rescue there is out of state until the end of October. Please see what you can do about finding someone in my area!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!

Legomom
10-08-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm located in Eustis. My mom & I would be happy to take those babies. PM me & we can set it up.

Just FYI....we are not licsensed, but we love animals & have rehabbed/released 4 babies within the last year. (I'm still new to the board and members.) I'm willing to follow any & all directions from yourself & others on this board.

philomycus
10-08-2008, 05:50 PM
I got room. I've got 3 that are about this age. What's two more I guess.... :D

I'm in Jax.

philomycus
10-09-2008, 12:20 PM
waiting to hear.......

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-09-2008, 01:55 PM
philomycus you are a saint.

philomycus
10-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Still waiting here.....good luck little squirrels. I hope you're ok.

Sarabi
10-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Maybe LeGOMOM has them:dono Nice to know for sure though......

Legomom
10-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Hey, gang! Sorry to keep you in limbo. Yes, I will be getting them on Sunday. My mom & I are looking forward to having more critters around!

philomycus
10-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the update!!!

Buddy'sMom
10-10-2008, 11:49 AM
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

lizharrell1
10-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Okay, quick update.......sorry I haven't been on the for the past several days.....my family and I went on vacation to Orlando (a much needed vacation, I might add!!!!) Anyway.........Legomom in Eustis has agreed to take my two babies, and I will be driving them down tomorrow (Sunday). I am sitting here now,having been away from them for the past several days, and they are both running all over me, obvious that they have missed me. I am sitting here with a heavy heart and feeling so sad about tomorrow, yet I know that it will be the very best thing for them. I have spoken to Legomom on the phone and she sounds like she will be a wonderful fit and transition for these two precious babies. For anyone else that might have responded to my post, and if I didn't get back to you personally, I do apologize for that, but it has taken me awhile to get used to the posts on this forum, and I wasn't quite sure how to find them once they were no longer showing on the "new posts" site. Thank you to everyone who showed an interest in taking over the care of these two lovely babies. And please thank Legomom for agreeing to take them over until they can be released. I truly hope these two will have a successful release and go on to live happy squirrely lives and go on to find mates and have lots of little squirrely babies!!!!!!!

lizharrell1
10-12-2008, 01:48 PM
I just got back to Palatka, having dropped my two babies off with Legomom0701. I must say that I am feeling very sad right now and I will be honest, I cried most of the way back home to Palatka and when I walked in the house and saw their empty cage, I just started crying all over again. I know that giving them up was the very best thing for them at this stage of their life, but nonetheless, I am hurting terribly right now. How is it, that these little critters, that are in our lives for such a short period of time, completely wrap themselves around your heart? I commend all you rehabbers that have learned to love and and let go when the time comes. Thank you for the help I received from this forum when I asked for it!!!

Jackie in Tampa
10-12-2008, 02:23 PM
:Cry :grouphug
They do steal your heart...
but they will be happiest in the trees where you wanted them.:Love_Icon
Thank you Legomom and family:thankyou
:thumbsup

JudyB
10-12-2008, 03:45 PM
lizharrell1, bless you :Love_Icon for knowing that they need more at this age than what you can give. I am almost at that stage with mine. I will be in your shoes soon... great for them.... sad for me:sad :sad :sad :sad :sad But I will have a happy heart that they will be safe while living a life squirrels are supposed to live :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

Buddy'sMom
10-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Yes, it is a very bittersweet stage, indeed. They capture your heart so completely and you want them to stay (and stay babies!) forever. But it is also a thrill to know that they experience the joy they know in the trees .........

You both have come together to provide the best path for these two! :bowdown :bowdown

Note to Legomom: In case Liz didn't mention and you didn't check out her other thread --- Little Girl is a Chewer! :D Keep her away from wires. :tilt

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

lizharrell1
10-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Thanks Buddys Mom for mentioning that Baby Girl is a Chewer!!!! She apparently likes to live life on the edge!!!!!!! Yes, Legomom, please keep her away from wires!!!! Electro shock therapy isn't too good for her!!!! She actually did fine after that "episode", by the way. And she still wanted to chew on wires, so apparently she is a slow learner. Hope when she is released she opts NOT to chew on power lines or get too close to transformers!!!! Call me stupid and sentimental, but I am missing my babies SO MUCH right now. My family all thinks I am an idiot crying over the babies, but I can't help it!!!! I haven't seen any posts yet from Legomom 1701 as to how they are doing in their new home, but hopefully I will soon. I did get a chance to see her baby flying squirrel who is probably the cutest thing I have EVER seen. I know my babies are in good hands, but as I am sitting here typing this, I miss having the babies run all over me, giving me squirrely kisses (and maybe a nibble or two). Our living room looks empty without them!!!!

Legomom
10-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi, all! Your babies are adorable, lizharrell1! I came home & we brought their cage out onto my screen porch.....Sophie was the first to show herself. She is soooo sweet! I just talked to her for awhile & she was quite happy to nibble at my fingers through the cage between swings at the bell toy. Wow! She does love that toy! Spyro was a little slower to introduce himself, but a few chunks of apple & a piece of watermelon had him scrambling up from under the blankies!

My hubby, son & I spent most of the afternoon building a new cage for your fuzzers. (We were going to make a new one next month for Teddy, so no big deal.) DH & I just finished it a few minutes ago & it looks great! It is 4' x 4' x 2'. I haven't taken any pics yet, but will tomorrow. A few finishing touches and we'll move S & S into it, probably tomorrow night.

I'll let you know how the transfer goes! I hope they like us as much as we already like them!

More soon....goodnight! :)

lizharrell1
10-13-2008, 07:26 AM
Thank you so much legomom0701 for the wonderful post about my babies!!! I didn't see your post until this morning and I had kind of a restless night thinking about them. Yes, Sophia does love that bell and she can get downright obnoxious about it too!!!!! Spyro is the more "aloof" of the two, but I am glad he finally came around. He never met a piece of watermelon that he could walk away from. He loves that stuff!!!!! Please post pics when you can and if I can ever figure out how to post pics here myself (I am clueless when it comes to stuff like that, I tried before to post pics but I was unsuccessful) I will post their pics as they were growing up!!!! Once again, thanks legomom 0701 for taking my babies!!!!!!

Legomom
10-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Here's a pic of lizh's babies.....they are too adorable! BTW, I've started a new thread "Sophie & Spyro".

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/legomom0701/Sophie%20and%20Spyro/Watermelon.jpg

Watermelon works wonders for coaxing Mr. Spyro out of hiding! :crazy