PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions....

YamahaGirl
08-16-2006, 10:51 AM
What sort of supplements if any are recommended for the squirrels? Vitamins, etc.???

Calcium Gluconate or Phosphorus?? Liquid Vit E??

Or do the Mazuri blocks or Zupreem have enough in them for the squirrels? Which is better...the Mazuri blocks or the Zupreem biscuits? Or should both be used?

ALSO...

The 2 squirrels I have now, one is male, the other female. Is it unsafe to have them grow up together? I mean, will they mate with each other? Is that unsafe? When will each of them reach sexual maturity? Should I seperate them at that time?

Sorry if I sound very niave, Im sooo new to all of this, and I want to get it all right!

Thank you!!!!

Heather

Critter_Queen
08-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Hi Heather,

How old are your squirrels? Eyes open yet?

Squirrels need calcium...I prefer the Mazuri rodent blocks to the Zupreem buscuits, just because that's what my mentor uses and recommends...

If you give them formula (if that's appropriate) and the rodent blocks as well as other starter or age-appropriate foods they should get enough of the vitamins and minerals they need. They also need to be outside or in the sunlight for at least 30 minutes each day...can't remember if its Vitamin D that they get from that and it helps them use the calcium?? Either way I know that those are the basics. :D

Are you keeping them as pets or are they going to be released? If they will be released at 12ish weeks of age, they should be fine until then without mating. If you are planning to keep them as pets, or longer than that, you might consider housing them separately but next to each other at about three months of age...or you could neuter the male if you plan to keep them.

Ask away! That's what this place is for!! :Welcome

YamahaGirl
08-16-2006, 11:31 AM
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!

No, their eyes have not opened yet. I am guessing them to be around the 4 1/2 week mark?? I am thinking their eyes should open any day now!

I am feeding them Esbilac formula right now, they are doing very well on it!!
Speaking of that, is there a chart or something somewhere that tells what appropriate weight gain might be????

I have not been taking them outside, hmm, that is a good point, thank you! I will start doing that today for sure! Its a little chilly here (Buffalo) so Ill be sure to keep them warm at the same time.

I will be releasing them, however, when it is time for them to be released, there will be TONS of snow here in Buffalo, so they will be kept in a large cage outside to get used to the weather, so they will still be together past the 12 week age I am thinking. I am hoping they will be fine come spring to finally make the venture out on their own!

OH, one more thing, when should I start giving them the rodent blocks and any other "appropriate" things??

Heather:thumbsup

Critter_Queen
08-16-2006, 12:28 PM
I've never been able to find a chart on the weight gain...but my mentor told me that as long as they gain, and the squirrel seems happy, you are doing it right. :thumbsup

In my own experience, Weezel started out gaining about 1-2 grams per day until he got to about three weeks old and then it started going up by about four grams per day. Zeke is about five weeks old, eyes opened yesterday, and he gains about 6-8 grams each day. Both are thriving, so that must be a good weight gain for both of them.

Have you seen this website? http://animaladvocates.us/squirrelmanual.pdf#search='Raising%20Infant%20Tree %20Squirrels'

I leave this open on my table for daily reference as far as how much/often to feed for what weight...weaning foods, etc. Page eight talks about weaning foods and stuff.

Glad I could help!! :wahoo

YamahaGirl
08-16-2006, 12:37 PM
I've never been able to find a chart on the weight gain...but my mentor told me that as long as they gain, and the squirrel seems happy, you are doing it right. :thumbsup

In my own experience, Weezel started out gaining about 1-2 grams per day until he got to about three weeks old and then it started going up by about four grams per day. Zeke is about five weeks old, eyes opened yesterday, and he gains about 6-8 grams each day. Both are thriving, so that must be a good weight gain for both of them.

Have you seen this website? http://animaladvocates.us/squirrelmanual.pdf#search='Raising%20Infant%20Tree %20Squirrels'

I leave this open on my table for daily reference as far as how much/often to feed for what weight...weaning foods, etc. Page eight talks about weaning foods and stuff.

Glad I could help!! :wahoo

YES!! Actually the day I got the squirrels I found that manual and printed it out right away, I have found lots of good information in it!

Thank you again!
Heather