PDA

View Full Version : crying?

Chesters_mom
10-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Chester was eating today and stopped and started making what can only be described as a whining close to what a kitten or cat would do, it started with a chatter, we do have a mouse in here somewhere, I wonder if he saw it and became alarmed. It sounded like crying to me and my daughter. does squirrels cry? It worried us very much:thinking

island rehabber
10-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Sounds like what we call "alarming".....he was sending an alarm warning to other squirrels in the area because he heard something that didn't sound right to him, or was threatening. He may have heard another squirrel sounding the alarm, and picked it up, or he heard a noise that he judged to be threatening. As cats prowl through neighborhoods, you'll hear squirrels doing this above them all along the way.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-07-2008, 12:23 PM
It an alarm, a warning noise...something isnt right, that they are not happy about. Very possibly a predator..cat or hawk or in your case a mouse.:D

Chesters_mom
10-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks! He had made the chatter/mad sound before but never that, we almost cryed ourselves because he kept doing it and it sounded so pitiful.

Frickster
10-07-2008, 12:34 PM
now that you know what it sounds like...you'll hear it a bunch from wild squirrels and recognize it. i can't tell you how many times i've heard that noise while outside with frick and had to go investigate what was bothering my little furry friends.

Chesters_mom
10-07-2008, 08:49 PM
It was sure "alarming" LOL. I think he did see the mouse.:D

Mads
10-07-2008, 11:28 PM
I hear this alot from My Fabulous 5 here in the yard. It always sets off my bird and he'll start in as well. I think it's just a great warning system that they all have and the squirrels and birds agree as to when to sound this alarm. Usually, when I go out and look around, it is the presence of a large hawk, sometimes the wild turkeys as well, but I doubt the turkeys are any threats to the squirrels.