PDA

View Full Version : dried lima beans

Chesters_mom
10-07-2008, 10:53 AM
I gave Chester a dried lima bean today and he loved it! Is this a nono? I'm not sure if he liked it for taste or just for the chew factor.

Rhapsody
10-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Not for sure if they are ok for squirrels or not, but I know they are not feed to sugar gliders as they will cause gas in them... and they can leave a sg feeling sick.

FallensMommie
10-07-2008, 12:10 PM
It's not going to harm him giving to him a couple of times a month but they are on the general foods to avoid:

Foods to Avoid Generally
-Packaged “squirrel food,” “pet treats,” or seed mixes.
-Starchy foods: pasta, bread, grains, seeds, rice, potatoes.
-Sugary foods: candy, cookies, dried fruit, banana chips, soda, fruit juices, sweetened yogurt, granola, sweetened breakfast cereals.
-Junk food: french fries, potato chips, pretzels, crackers, anything salted.
-Legumes: beans (kidney beans, lentils, etc.), peas, and soybeans; except for green beans and sugar snap peas in the pod.-Artificial sweeteners like Nutra-Sweet or aspartame.

Chesters_mom
10-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks soooo much to the both of you! Thats good enough for me, NO more of those for Chester! I posted another thread about a crying sound he made and it was a little while after he ate it and it did cross my mind that maybe it had given him gas or stomach discomfort.

FallensMommie
10-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi I read what you posted in that thread and it sound like a alarm/warning cry to me...sometimes they see things from the window move around like a bird or cat, etc. and will make that alarm cry sound. They don't sound off like that when they are hurt....they will whimper or let out a ouch cry though if in pain....but that is a much different sound than that alarm cry.

Equinox Rain
10-07-2008, 04:31 PM
This does bring up a question. Is baby gas-X OK for squirrels? It is for Rabbits, but I was wondering about Squirrels. Better to know before I need it.

FallensMommie
10-07-2008, 04:41 PM
This does bring up a question. Is baby gas-X OK for squirrels? It is for Rabbits, but I was wondering about Squirrels. Better to know before I need it.

Yes they use it on squirrels to...you only use a small amount though.

SUNSHINE
10-08-2008, 07:23 PM
wow never new limas were a no no mine eat them all the time for years and never no sighns of belly aches or anything they love them

ShesASquirrelyGirl
10-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Simethicone is ok for them, it doesn't have to be a tiny amount. You can't really over dose on this but you do not want to fill them up on it either.