PDA

View Full Version : Exotic Nutrition's Squirrel Diet

Legomom
10-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Hello, all! I've been poking around the internet.....looking at the many ways to spoil my little flyer boy, Teddy. Anyway, I came across this company, Exotic Nutrition. Has anyone done business with them? Any opinion on this food product that they sell for flying squirrels?

http://www.exoticnutrition.com/Squirrel-Diet-Analysis.htm

Thanks for the info!

4skwerlz
10-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Some of Exotic Nutrition's product seem okay; others appear questionable. I've never tried this one, and it's hard to tell how nutritionally complete it is with only a crude analysis. You might call them and ask if it is based on the exact nutrient requirements of rodents, especially, how many mgs of calcium per kg of food it contains.

Legomom
10-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Here is what I was able to copy from the web site: (part of the image is over the nutrition info!)

Guaranteed Analysis Squirrel Diet:
CRUDE PROTEIN (MIN) ….19 % CRUDE FAT (MIN)……2.5%

CRUDE FIBER (MAX) ……35 % MOISTURE (MAX) …..10%

CALCIUM (MIN) ………….1. % CALCIUM (MAX) ……..2%

PHOSPHORUS (MIN) …..0.80% SALT (MIN) …………..0.4%

SALT (MAX) ………………0.8% VITAMIN A (MIN) 1,200 IU/LB

:thankyou Thanks for the response, 4skwerlz! I emailed them your question & am awaiting a response. Will let you know what I find out.

TexanSquirrel
10-09-2008, 09:33 PM
A friend of mine buys treats from them...though what she buys is no different from what she could be getting at the grocery store...:dono

Legomom
10-10-2008, 03:32 PM
I asked how many mgs. of calcium per kg. of food is contained. The response was: 20,000 mg calcium per kilo of food.

How is that for a ratio? I'm kinda clueless. :dono

muffinsquirrel
10-10-2008, 07:46 PM
I don't know anything about all the ingredients (vitamins and minerals) that they list. I DO know that pine nuts aren't very good for them, and that dried fruits aren't either. Too much sugar. Plus, I have read of several flyers that have choked on raisins. As far as the pelleted part of the food, I have tried 'Brisky' flyer food, which is a pellet that is supposed to be the only food the flyer will need. In fact, I have tried it several times. So far, none of the flyers (or greys, foxers, or wildlife such as possums and nutra rats) will even try it. If anyone wants to try it, brisky used to offer a free sample - check on their web site. By the way, Brisky also sells one of the few books on flyers - 'The Flying Squirrel: King and Queen of the Pet World', by Curt Howard. The book is very good - Mr. Howard was a well known expert on flyers. After his death, Brisky bought the rights to the book, and now publish it, so beware - ignore all the references to Brisky food in the book! If you're interested in the book, check around on the used book sites, eBay, half.com. etc and you might find one cheaper.

Sorry - didn't mean to thread-jack. I just got carried away :D

muffinsquirrel