PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor squirrel food

Cleo_13
10-06-2008, 03:50 PM
One of my mom's friends let us come over to her in-law's house to collect acorns. We got two medium sized containers full. From reading another thread on TSB, I gpot the idea that acorns won't keep very well so I actually have already used up one container since I got them yesterday. They appear to like them, seeing as the dish was empty just an hour later.

Actually what I really want to ask is what foods are healthiest to give them. At the moment they eat mostly corn and black oil sunflower with some bulk nuts from the store. The nuts are still in the shell and consist of mostly almonds with a few hazelnuts, pecans, and the occasional walnut. I have read however, that sunflower seeds are bad, but they really like them. I doubt that I will be able to remove corn or sunflower seeds because they are pretty cheap, and my family is sort of low on money. I can however reduce the amount I give them and supplement with something else. I want my squirrels to be healthy, and this has been bugging me for a while.

Any ideas?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Cleo, I have been giving my squirrels sunflower seeds since I started raising and releasing squirrels and they do just fine with them.
I also feed good nuts like you..even more so in winter.
The birds also need the sunflower seeds and how can you tell the squirrels not to eat them anyways? :thinking
They will eat what they want of them and there are lots of other things to pick from this time of year lots of trees bearing nuts~
Don't worry they will do fine, they are smarter about what they need than we are.:)
For a variety you can cut up some pumpkin and let then have a ball.

Cleo_13
10-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks