PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Questions about our little guy

Tum Tum
10-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Sometimes when we walk in the room and he is in his cage he will "dance" with his feet and i was wondering if that means he is happy to see us or what? Also he flips his tail sometimes and makes kind of a purring sound what could that mean? We can provide a video if needed. for the tail flipping but we were not able to get the sound. When he does the tail thingy he usually is not on us, he is usually on his favorite chair playing or he is approaching us.mjs

Sciurus1
10-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Yes, it is as it appears, very excited to see you. If the sound you describe as purring is coming from the nose and more like a piggy snort, but softer of course, repetive in nature, that is what they do when hoping to receive food. Some call that 'oinking'. If it is a quiet purr while lying down and stretched out, more like a continual vibration, or humm, like a cat does, which you can feel in the body, that is a true purr. Both are very positive sounds of affirmation, one for food, and the other out of of contentment.

Chesters_mom
10-04-2008, 01:41 AM
Chester does that little nasal/snorting purring sound, It's mostly when he's looking as if he wants to do something or contemplating doing something. It is the sweetest little sound. I'm glad to hear it means contentment as well because he does it a lot!

4skwerlz
10-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Sometimes when we walk in the room and he is in his cage he will "dance" with his feet and i was wondering if that means he is happy to see us or what? Also he flips his tail sometimes and makes kind of a purring sound what could that mean? We can provide a video if needed. for the tail flipping but we were not able to get the sound. When he does the tail thingy he usually is not on us, he is usually on his favorite chair playing or he is approaching us.mjs

The "dance" with the hind feet is some kind of squirrel-to-squirrel communication, but I always see it when they're unsure about someone or something that is approaching. Could mean "Who are you?" or perhaps a warning to other squirrels? Flipping the tail forward and holding it there as they approach something is a defense; if there is a predator, it will hopefully grab the tail first and miss any vital parts. It could also be intended to make them look larger and less vulnerable. Whipping the tail up and down or back and forth repeatedly is a danger signal.