PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn little boogers!

digiandchipper
10-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Okay, Digi and Chipper (approx8-9 wks) have been mutilating the ends of the syringes.... then became not quite as interested in their beloved' formula.........SO, after hearing from a few of you guys, thought I'd try the saucer (or small jar lid) of formula for them to learn to drink.

:bash They are like: "Oh, NO you don't. We do NOT want anything to do with that dish. And, no, we don't care if you dip your finger in first. And, no we don't care that you made it extra delicious with a little honey: We will just fast."

They are nibbling nuts and carrots, but DESPISE the rodent blocks. I mean, they REALLY hate them. :frustratedx :hissyfit They sniff, then snort, then run to the back of the cage and glare at me!. So, I made them the delicious recipe on the board (can't remember what it's called but it has oats and honey, rodent blocks and cheerios, esbilac and some other good stuff). Well, one of them (Chipper)took a piece and buried it in my hair, then pooped on me. The other (Digi) sniffed it and just glared. She has now not moved from her perch for an hour!

In all other ways, they are okay (poop, pee, play)
Am I doing something wrong?????????????:shakehead :shakehead

foxsquirrels
10-03-2008, 08:36 PM
No, they just don't like the rodent blocks. Not many squirrels do, especially if they have access to other things. They should like what you made for them. Keep trying, they're just being stubborn little devils.:D :D

digiandchipper
10-03-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm just getting ready to go in to visit for 'nighty-night time'.....will offer the saucer again and the 'cookies'. I'm sure they are just waiting for me to come in so we can have a showdown:duel (they know how cute they are, even when they're being hard-headed)_

Should I leave the nibbles in overnight, or take them out after the babies have gone in to sleep?

foxsquirrels
10-03-2008, 09:00 PM
I leave my babies a little something to nibble on, so if they wake up before I do they have a snack in the morning. I do give them water when I begin to leave them something in at night. Give the little devils a big hug!

Sciurus1
10-03-2008, 09:20 PM
My rehabber friend in Texas told me that some brands of Rodent Block have pork binder in them! No wonder they don't like it! I bet they can smell it too! I know though they may eat it IF there is nothing else, but then I wouldn't want to feed them the ones with pork binder in it would you?

foxsquirrels
10-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Here is what GB says is good.
Harlan Teklad 2014 and 2018 Rodent Diets. The cadillac of rodent chows. Vegetarian formulas contain no preservatives, phytoestrogens, or nitrosamines. The 2014 is a low-fat, low-protein formula suitable for older squirrels. The 2018 is for growing squirrels (under 18 months old). Store in the refrigerator. $5.00 for 5 lbs at the Crafty Rat:
http://www.craftyrat.com/Merchant2/m...tegory_Code=FS

KayTee Forti-Diet for Rats and Mice. A tasty vegetarian rodent diet available at pet stores. If you’re having trouble getting your squirrel to eat blocks, it can be a good choice. Does contain added sugars such as molasses, as well as preservatives for long shelf life. $3.47 for 2 lbs at Petco:
http://www.petco.com/product/5906/Ka...-Rat-Food.aspx

digiandchipper
10-03-2008, 09:39 PM
I bought the Kay-Tee Forti-diet (I must admit, it looks/smells pretty blah to me:D ). They were just too shocked when their loving mommy offered them THAT!

But the 'cookies' I made from the TSB recipe smelled yummy - both my husband and son were disappointed when I told them they were for Chipper and Digi:rotfl .....................however, as of tonight, the babies are still not interested and only one of them drank the formula -from the syringe, still no go on the saucer. Digi took a sip from the syringe, ignored the saucer, found an acorn on the ground and grabbed it and ran to bed.

I left them some nibbles and water in the cursed saucer and gave them a goodnight smooch. Tomorrow is another day.

(They are SO cute! I hung up one of those ferret hammocks earlier today and tonight they got in and pulled some moss and fleece pieces in on top of them... they grow up so fast:Cry )

4skwerlz
10-04-2008, 07:44 AM
I bought the Kay-Tee Forti-diet (I must admit, it looks/smells pretty blah to me:D ). They were just too shocked when their loving mommy offered them THAT!

But the 'cookies' I made from the TSB recipe smelled yummy - both my husband and son were disappointed when I told them they were for Chipper and Digi:rotfl .....................however, as of tonight, the babies are still not interested and only one of them drank the formula -from the syringe, still no go on the saucer. Digi took a sip from the syringe, ignored the saucer, found an acorn on the ground and grabbed it and ran to bed.

I left them some nibbles and water in the cursed saucer and gave them a goodnight smooch. Tomorrow is another day.

(They are SO cute! I hung up one of those ferret hammocks earlier today and tonight they got in and pulled some moss and fleece pieces in on top of them... they grow up so fast:Cry )

Keep trying with the blocks. You might try dipping a piece in formula or even peanut butter to get them interested. Once they start nibbling them, they usually learn to like them.

digiandchipper
10-04-2008, 11:40 AM
So far, still a big NO on the 'drinking from saucer'.......... Chipper took A LOT of formula from syringe this am, Digi again took a couple of sips, then ran off. It is not too hot or too cold and it is the same stuff as usual. She is also burying her nuts instead of eating them, and not interested in her veggies, the 'cookies', or especially the rodent block...........I will try the peanut butter thing next.

I am beginning to worry.:dono