PDA

View Full Version : food/supplements for 11-12 wk olds

lilbear
10-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Hi - new here. I've been caring for 3 baby male squirrels since they were 4-5 weeks old under the guidance of a certified rehabber (via phone). We'll be releasing them at around 16 weeks (November). I'm wondering if my boys need some supplements. I've been giving them the esbilac+whipping cream+water formula (now down to 1 feeding per day) plus vegies & fruits (carrots, brocolli, snow peas, celery, cauliflower, cucumber, corn-on-cob, yellow squash, watermelon) plus acorns and sunflower seeds. Was giving them shelled walnuts, but they wouldn't have anything to do with them. I've read about rodent block and primate chow, but my rehabber doesn't use those (and she's been successfully rehabilitating for 25 years). Are there certain fruits/vegies I should be giving them that are high in needed nutrients? I want these cuties to be as healthy as possible. Please advise.
Thanks!
Lilbear

island rehabber
10-03-2008, 07:40 PM
lilbear, I don't see any dark leafy greens in their diet so you'll want to add some. Kale, escarole, and chickory have lots of calcium and other great vitamins as well as the bitter taste squirrels usually love. Hopefully yours will like at least one of those. On your list, the cauliflower, broccoli and snow peas are the best for them. Go easy on the corn and carrots -- they are loaded with sugars and squirrels will end up preferring those and not eating the good stuff. (Just like us, LOL.) :D

4skwerlz
10-04-2008, 07:41 AM
Everything on your list looks healthy, but like IR said, go easy on the corn. Also, try to avoid sunflower seeds as they are very high in phosphorus. Also you might want to include more wild foods gathered from outside: pine cones, magnolia cones, branches, hibiscus, palm nuts, etc. These are healthy for all squirrels, but it's especially important for pre-release squirrels to get used to what they will be eating in the wild. Just make sure to avoid anything toxic. If you're not sure, don't feed it. Some common southern plants, like oleander, are highly toxic.

There is more information in the "Squirrel Nutrition" forum.

lilbear
10-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Everything on your list looks healthy, but like IR said, go easy on the corn. Also, try to avoid sunflower seeds as they are very high in phosphorus.

No wonder they go crazy if I don't give them those seeds! I'm stopping those and the corn now...thanks for the tip.

Also you might want to include more wild foods gathered from outside: pine cones, magnolia cones, branches, hibiscus, palm nuts, etc. These are healthy for all squirrels, but it's especially important for pre-release squirrels to get used to what they will be eating in the wild. Just make sure to avoid anything toxic. If you're not sure, don't feed it. Some common southern plants, like oleander, are highly toxic.

I've been putting thick and thin drake elm branches in their cage since they were 6wks. They eat the leaves and tiny branches like candy. Also been giving them pinecones since 9 wks. I'm in FL also, so I can give our hibiscus flowers, too. What other FL plants are good to have around for squirrels? I'm trying to plant some wild food for these boys for when they're released as well as the wild squirrels outside.

There is more information in the "Squirrel Nutrition" forum.
Speaking of squirrel nutrition, when I try to access certain pages/links, it says I don't have permission for that page. Any help?

Lilbear

lilbear
10-04-2008, 03:08 PM
lilbear, I don't see any dark leafy greens in their diet so you'll want to add some. Kale, escarole, and chickory have lots of calcium and other great vitamins as well as the bitter taste squirrels usually love. Hopefully yours will like at least one of those. On your list, the cauliflower, broccoli and snow peas are the best for them. Go easy on the corn and carrots -- they are loaded with sugars and squirrels will end up preferring those and not eating the good stuff. (Just like us, LOL.) :D

Thanks for the info! I'll cut out the corn and carrots and add the leafy greens.

Lilbear

4skwerlz
10-04-2008, 03:14 PM
What other FL plants are good to have around for squirrels?
Bottlebrush flowers, all parts of pine trees and live oaks, magnolia cones (even unripe ones), asparagus fern (NOT the berries though), palm nuts or seeds (EXCEPT for the sago palm or cardboard palm, which are cyads, and highly poisonous), purslane, Bermuda grass from your lawn--but only if it is untreated, hibiscus branches/leaves/flowers, purslane or portulaca.... They especially like small pine branches with the bark still on.