PDA

View Full Version : keeping different-aged infant squirrels together

Critter_Queen
08-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Could someone please tell me if it's ok for me to keep a 5 week old and 3.5 week old squirrels together after the older one's eyes open? The five-weeker is just beginning to open one eye. They have been together for about three days now. Is it safe to leave them together even after the older one's eyes open? I want to be sure the little guy has a peaceful home.

Thanks for your help! This forum is AWESOME!!

Cindy G
08-15-2006, 11:43 AM
I am not sure. I have the same question only...I was woundering if I could move mommy Mary back in the cage with my other 6 flyers and move the 3 new babies in there too? The babies are over a month old. I am not sure when to interduce the 3 new ones to the clan.
That's a good question.

Critter_Queen
08-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Hi Cindy,

I read that you should not introduce squirrels to each other after their eyes are open. Not sure if that's true, but it seems reasonable. that's why I'm wondering about the older of my two having his eyes open before the other does.

Hope someone here knows the answer! :)

island rehabber
08-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Hi Cindy,

I read that you should not introduce squirrels to each other after their eyes are open. Not sure if that's true, but it seems reasonable. that's why I'm wondering about the older of my two having his eyes open before the other does.

Hope someone here knows the answer! :)

I have introduced grey squirrels to each other as cage-mates long after their eyes open. Most of the time it works out perfectly. The best thing is to put them in two separate cages right next to each other. They can smell each other, touch noses and paws, lunge at each other until they get bored with it, and then they're pals and you can put them both in one cage. Every once in awhile you get a squirrel with a 'tude and nobody wants him/her around, so you have to be aware that it may not work out. But give it a try, because greys hate to be alone! I'm sorry but I know nothing about flyers so I will let someone more knowledgeable answer anything pertaining to them.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
08-15-2006, 07:04 PM
greys hate to be alone Isn't that adorable?

island rehabber
08-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Isn't that adorable?

It is adorable that greys hate to be alone, but it's also detrimental to their development to raise an only-child squirrel. The tumbling, chasing and fighting activities they engage in with their siblings or cage mates is crucial to their muscular development and coordination. Even if we play all day long with an only squirrel we cannot duplicate that learning experience they would get from siblings or cagemates. Rehabbers who are forced to raise only squirrels know that these animals are often clingy, depressed and bored and may engage in nervous or destructive behavior.

Critter_Queen
08-16-2006, 09:31 AM
I spoke with my mentor last night on the phone and she said that as long as you put them together before their eyes open, size doesn't really matter. And she said that usually you can put juveniles with their eyes open together, you just have to be careful and watchful for the first few hours to be sure everyone is getting along. And to keep watching a couple of times each day to be sure that everyone is eating, cuddling, etc like normal and that there are no injuries.

Zeke opened his eyes yesterday and I was worried about Weezel because he's got at least 10 more days before his eyes will open.

I agree with IR that you should try to raise squirrels in pairs or more because otherwise they just don't really learn to be a "real squirrel".

I do like IR's suggestion of caging them next to each other first...BRILLIANT IDEA!

GhosTS
08-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Listen to IR..I have a 3 months old squirrel ( Oh my..Sparks is 3 months now )..and two 2 months old squirrels together by following her instructions.Not only they worked, the squirrels became best friends.They do everything together now.And they sleep together like a big fur ball.

Momma Squirrel
08-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Oh my..Sparks is 3 months now

WOW where does the time go?? GhosTS you did such a great job :bowdown the 2 new ones are very lucky to have you as their dad as well. They should all grow up to be a very happy family.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
08-17-2006, 11:09 AM
I have 5 week olds with a 2 week old they love him & take care of him and cuddle him.

Critter_Queen
08-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Well, Zeke has had his eyes open for a couple of days now and is actually more cuddly with Weezel than he was with his eyes closed.

Excellent! :thumbsup

Kinda hoping I get a couple more babies now that mine will be able to stay at home for half-days...I like the thrill of sneakin' 'em to work with me! LOL! :nono

Bright1
11-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Squirrels are just like cats, in that they are very sociable and prefer to be around other squirrels, even strangers.

Just like cats though, you do occasionally get a squirrel who has a bad temperment and dose not like the company of others.

The trick is just the same as with cats. Introduce them slowly. Use a blanket that smells of each squirrel, to get them ussed to the scent first. Then let them see each other but not come into contact. And finally alow them suppervised contact with each other. (suppervised so you can watch to observe for inapropraite behaviour)

At first they will most likely sniff each other and be very timid. The older/larger of the two will most likely try to dominate the other by ussing mounting behaviour, threat gestures or calls, but there shouldn't be any violence involved at all.

If there is any violence seperate them imediatelly and give it several days before atempting to reintroduce. Only try two reintroductions, if they are not comfortable around each other by then, they will never be.

Once introduced, and a pecking order has been established, they will most likely be firm friends and even sleep together for comfort and warmth. but keep a vlose eye on there behaviour for the first two weeks as the larger squirrel may bully the smaller, and they can be very subtle about theis, only pushing the smaller squirrel away from food or water, whilst you are not present. Its essential to check regularly and carefully the health and condition of both squirrels for this introduction period, for this reason. Any bullying will become apparent from loss of condition or through small bites (ears and tail) and scrathes (face, neck, back and belly). If bullying dose occour, then the only solution is to seprate them.:wott

dark_lotus
08-24-2010, 10:33 PM
i have a 4 month old grey (alvin) and a 2 week old red(lotus) is she safe around alvin????

Nancy in New York
08-24-2010, 10:36 PM
i have a 4 month old grey (alvin) and a 2 week old red(lotus) is she safe around alvin????

I would not put them near each other now...way too tiny.
I was given a red last year, the rehabber thought he was a grey (pinkie at the time) to keep my loner grey company...but it turned out a red...I never put them together...too much of a weight and size issue and the grey could really do some damage I believe...:)

island rehabber
08-24-2010, 11:46 PM
I agree with Nancy -- do not put squirrels together who are more than maybe 2 weeks apart in age. Certainly not a 4-month-old with a pinky. We had a situation here recently where an older grey pet squirrel actually attacked a new rescue baby that was brought into the home, and killed it. :(

dark_lotus
09-12-2010, 02:16 AM
hey lotus is now 4 weeks her right eye has opend but her left hasnt i dont put her near alvin but when im feeding lotus alvin gets interested in her he will sit for 10 to 15 mins smellng and licking my hands after i feed her im not sure but he dosent seam like he wants to hurt hermjs

Kristal
09-12-2010, 03:46 AM
This is food for thought. I met Alex tonight to give him some formula, and we were talking about the problems of solo squirrels, now that there is just the one survivor. I did offer to take her in, if he would like, and he is going to think on it, but my four are already so bonded and snuggly with each other that I wonder if a new addition will be made to feel left out by them. How about introducing a new baby to an established orphan "family"? Does that usually work out well? Mine are aged 6.5 to 5 weeks or so and probably a bit small for their age. His girl is a healthy looking four-or-so week old who was recently rescued. My boys are still in the mostly sleepy stage. Only Rifa is more active and occasionally a pest to the sleepy boys.

What do you think about expanding the family at this point?

Jackie in Tampa
09-12-2010, 04:27 AM
This is food for thought. I met Alex tonight to give him some formula, and we were talking about the problems of solo squirrels, now that there is just the one survivor. I did offer to take her in, if he would like, and he is going to think on it, but my four are already so bonded and snuggly with each other that I wonder if a new addition will be made to feel left out by them. How about introducing a new baby to an established orphan "family"? Does that usually work out well? Mine are aged 6.5 to 5 weeks or so and probably a bit small for their age. His girl is a healthy looking four-or-so week old who was recently rescued. My boys are still in the mostly sleepy stage. Only Rifa is more active and occasionally a pest to the sleepy boys.

What do you think about expanding the family at this point?
If they get along and snuggle up:thumbsup
I always think a wee bit further...do you have cages to fit the needs and space requirements for 5 sqs all the way thru to release....

If so and they get along!:alright.gif
nobody wants a singleton!
Good luck, I had 5 REAL sibs last year...crazy when it was time to round 'em up...Fred threatened to video the kaos...:rotflThe Davis Island Demons!

island rehabber
09-12-2010, 09:11 AM
I have good luck combining and mixing up squirrel babies so long as you always use a NEW container to put the new group in. When they are very small (5 wks and under) it doesn't matter, you can just add somebody to the pile and they are accepted almost instantly. After eyes open, however, the secret is to prepare a new container or cage and put the new group into it. I have 10 between the ages of 5-9 wks right now, and I've been trying different combinations as each one progresses in development. No complaints so far....in fact, when the last one came in at 4 wks old I just stuck him in with two eyes-opened babies and they accepted him. :thumbsup

Kristal
09-12-2010, 05:18 PM
If they get along and snuggle up:thumbsup
I always think a wee bit further...do you have cages to fit the needs and space requirements for 5 sqs all the way thru to release....

If so and they get along!:alright.gif
nobody wants a singleton!
Good luck, I had 5 REAL sibs last year...crazy when it was time to round 'em up...Fred threatened to video the kaos...:rotflThe Davis Island Demons!

That is really my only cause for concern - that they are growing up and will need more, soon. I still don't have a larger, pre-release cage, and I don't really know what size I should be thinking of for so many squirrels. Any thoughts on that?

Another, perhaps saner plan might be to donate Squeaky to him. I am just so reticent to part with one of my little ones... But Squeaky is very easy to care for, strong, and close to the age of his girl. I could be a sattelite mom, too, to make sure everything is ok.

As you all know, I have never had squirrels before, but I am still aware that having even four juveniles/adults is likely to be a trial by fire for me. :devil :eek: I do think that we should get his girl some family, though, one way or the other. It sounds like greys get terribly miserable alone, from what you are saying.

mpetys
09-12-2010, 08:14 PM
I spoke with my mentor last night on the phone and she said that as long as you put them together before their eyes open, size doesn't really matter.
I have three right now. Two (a boy and a girl) are about 7 weeks old and the older one (a girl) is about 9 weeks old. I got them four weeks ago and they were already together. I had some concerns as the older one was growing at a faster rate than the two little ones. When she reached the point of being very active, running, jumping, pouncing and playing, the two younger ones were not. The younger boy was still sleeping all the time. The young girl was starting to get up and around. The larger girl was really beating the crap out of the little girl. The little girl would cry and retreat to a corner. I felt so bad. I wondered if I should separate the bigger one from the two little ones. But then, I saw the younger girl gather up a bunch of energy, run to the other side of the cage and pounce on the bigger girl! The more I watched, I saw that while the bigger girl did have the advantage and while she played hard; I also saw her being so gentle with the two little ones. Sleeping, cuddling up to them. She seemed to take it easier on the little boy who was behind the little girl in development.

So now the big girl is 204 grams, the little girl is 148 grams the the little boy if finally catching up at 136 grams. I am glad I did not separate them. Well, actually, I did separate the big girl for almost a week. She had bot flies and I found the little boy nursing on one of those gross things. Even after they were removed, he would try to nurse on the wounds. The big girl was miserable. She hated being separated. When I finally put her back in, I could see the difference in her mood. She was happy!

Michele in Tampa

Kristal
09-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Yea, I am thinking that it is probably easier to put a boy and girl together, too. That is how it works for other mammals that I know about. They sure do seem to care about each other. Even though they can be rough, they are mostly very tender with each other. I think adults whose territories are close or adult siblings must maintain some loose affiliation. I am sure that all the play and squirrel love must teach a girl squirrel how to grow up to be a good mom.

michelle7749
10-27-2010, 01:22 AM
Hello Everyone,
We have a 9 month old male gray named E.T., who is non-releasable. We're discussing the possibilty of trying to locate a female nr for companionship for E.T.

What are the group's thoughts on getting E.T. a companion? Does anyone forsee problems with them not getting along?

Thanks!
Michelle

janiemcm
08-06-2013, 10:40 PM
I've been able to combine squirrels up to about 9, maybe 10 weeks old. for about a day or 2 before hand, I have 2 beds in each of the 2 cages - to get their own smells on the beds. then after 2 days, I set up a 3rd "neutral" cage where they will be combined. I put 1 bed from each of their cages and put them in different corners of the new cage. I cover the new cage completely. then at night, when they are already snoozing, I move each of them into the new cage - to their rightful beds. I turn out the light and wait for about 1/2 hour - then leave. There's usually a little chattering, but when I come down in the morning, they are always snuggled together in one of the beds.

As for combining different ages together, yes - do it often. as long as the weights and sizes aren't too drastically different.

island rehabber
08-07-2013, 07:29 AM
I've been able to combine squirrels up to about 9, maybe 10 weeks old. for about a day or 2 before hand, I have 2 beds in each of the 2 cages - to get their own smells on the beds. then after 2 days, I set up a 3rd "neutral" cage where they will be combined. I put 1 bed from each of their cages and put them in different corners of the new cage. I cover the new cage completely. then at night, when they are already snoozing, I move each of them into the new cage - to their rightful beds. I turn out the light and wait for about 1/2 hour - then leave. There's usually a little chattering, but when I come down in the morning, they are always snuggled together in one of the beds.

As for combining different ages together, yes - do it often. as long as the weights and sizes aren't too drastically different.

Janie that's pretty impressive! When you say their beds, what do you mean exactly? Do yours sleep in boxes, or fleece cubes, or.....? My problem is usually by the time a squirrel is 9-10 wks old I can't move them individually without risking an escape or losing a finger :grin.

bobby taylor
10-13-2013, 06:38 AM
I have done it before with out any problem. The little boys eyes were open and the little girls were not and he was so good to her. Just keep a close watch on them. He would snuggle with her and help keep her warm.