PDA

View Full Version : Chewing end of feeder syringe

digiandchipper
09-30-2008, 05:58 AM
Well my little ones are between 8-9 wks(?) and still having formula 3 times a day....So where can I get a syringe that my sweet little babies can't gnaw the end of ??????? They are totally mangling their syringes at every feeding!!:sanp3

wheezer
09-30-2008, 09:58 AM
sounds like they are ready for a dish:) I don't think there are any syringes that can withstand squirrel teeth:dono At 9 weeks they maybe able to drink out of a dish. I have used small jar lids so they won't get their nose in it.
I always use the silicone nipples so most of the time they will suck them and not chew. It may be too late for this switch, they may love to eat them:D
I have had squirrels wean themselves this way and around 9 to 10 weeks!
Make sure you are offering solid foods and water. Here is a link to a good squirrel diet. now.http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11323&highlight=squirrel+blocks
Good Luck:flash3

miraclesquirrel
09-30-2008, 04:35 PM
No such puppy that I have found. It would be nice if they would come up with a syringe like that. In the wilds you can tell when the babies are that old. Momma 's nipples look a little "worn" too, that probably why they wean at about 10 weeks. Momma gets over it quick and wants them off her.

digiandchipper
09-30-2008, 10:29 PM
I tried the formula in a teeny, shallow lid............they sniffed it and sneezed a couple of times, then ran away to the back of their cage and stared at me! They are about 9 wks, should I worry about aspiration??

.......I feel so inadequate to help them learn stuff.........:osnap

skye
09-30-2008, 11:31 PM
Hi there:)
With shallow lid put tip of your finger in the milk then put to their mouth so they learn to lick and bring finger back to the milk maybe that will work doing this a few times:thinking :dono
Good luck with your babies:)

wheezer
10-01-2008, 12:07 AM
I think they are old enough to not have to worry about aspiration. They should be getting used to drinking water now anyway. You can put up a water bottle on the cage and the other way is to put water in a small bowl and add pebbles so they aren't as likely to get their nose in it!
Maybe you could do this with the formula too!
:grouphug

wheezer
10-01-2008, 12:21 AM
Here is a recepe Gamma's Baby makes for her pet squirrel and it has Esbilac in it. Might be good to try this too:)
Here's my recipe for Critter Scones that I make for Baby and she just LOVES them, and they are very healthy.

1 cup reg. or wheat flour
4 Tbs. veg oil
1 cup Quaker Oats/Oatmeal
1/2 cup of either cheerios, total, corn flakes, or Special K
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup powder Esbilac
1 cup of sesame seeds
12 crushed Rodent Blocks
3 crushed Calcium 600 mg pills
1 egg

I mix all this together, and then keep adding Strawberry (you can use any flavor but chocolate) flavored Pediasure/Ensure, until it sticks together. I tear it into small pieces, and place on a cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes, or golden brown.

Sometimes instead of veg. oil, I will either add all natural peanut butter, or applesauce, just to give her a little variety, and use Vanilla Pediasure/Ensure. so as not to have too many different flavors going at once.
Here is a link to the other recepe for Squirrel Blocks (post #9)
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12830
Can't think of anything else right now..good luck:grouphug

digiandchipper
10-01-2008, 03:04 PM
I'll be sure to make those! My husband will probably be jealous when he finds out I'm cookin better for the squirrels than for him :rotfl

Oh, and here are a couple of pics of the sweeties, Digi and Chipper (I hope:D )

digiandchipper
10-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Well, it seems like one of those pics was too dark and I want everyone to see the cuteness, so here are a couple more...........

halo
10-08-2008, 09:18 PM
You can throw in a few small pieces of bread or some cheerios in the dish of formula if u are worried about aspiration. They should be ready to wean.

Halo

bobosoltan
10-08-2008, 10:58 PM
I got a small rabbit bottle cut the nipple off then placed it over the syringe end. seems to keep rocky from getting into the plastic.

Jackie in Tampa
10-09-2008, 06:20 AM
:thumbsup precious babies.....
Wheezer is right, maybe time to try a dish or buy more nipples!
Good luck, love the pics:)

digiandchipper
10-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Yesterday I put a small dish of formula in the cage and just left them to it - no mommy around holding a syringe!:poke and Chipper (the more outgoing of the two) went over and stepped in it, then drank like a champ. Digi ignored it and mommy gave in and gave her the syringe:sanp3 .

Saw the posting this morning about putting cheerios and stuff in the dish - worked a lot better! Digi came over to check it out, then took about 3 or 4 good slurps before running away this time:peace

They also FINALLY took a nibble of the rodent block cookies I have been making them:alright.gif :alright.gif :alright.gif

Thanks to you ALL for your great ideas - I might actually get these girlies raised and on their own one day!