PDA

View Full Version : Ike won't eat any veggies!

lookmomchickens
09-27-2008, 10:27 AM
So my new little baby is about 8 weeks and I've been trying to give him his greens: broccoli, greean beans, celery, parsley, etc.. but he won't eat these? He chews on the broccoli for a bit then gets bored with it and he won't touch the green beans. The green beans are still in the pod so I just cut them up in little slices.. should these be fed "raw"?

He does love avocados though, but I try to limit his intake on those because they have such a high fat content..

Is there anything I can do to make him eat his veggies? He's doing great on formula but I'm worried he's not getting enough nutrition b/c he won't eat these? He's not a big fan of fruit either...

Is this something they eventually "learn" to eat on a regular basis??

:thankyou

Jess & Ike

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k277/lookmomchickens/Ike7-8weeks.jpg

island rehabber
09-27-2008, 10:33 AM
All veggies should be given raw. Squirrels are fickle eaters and what he loves this week, he'll hate the next and vice versa. Keep offering high-calcium veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, and kale (most of mine love kale!). Make sure veggies are crisp and fresh; they won't eat wilted ones. Try sugar snap pea pods.....zucchini pieces.....cucumber slices. Fruits should only be a treat -- full of sugar -- so don't worry if he doesn't want them. Studies have shown squirrels don't eat much fruit in the wild unless they have nothing else. Squirrels seem to like "bitter" as much as "sweet", so bitter greens like dandelions, escarole, and kale are often their favorites.

lookmomchickens
09-27-2008, 10:46 AM

I'm going to go to the store today and buy some kale/cucumbers and some sugar snap pea pods and try those!

island rehabber
09-27-2008, 10:49 AM

I'm going to go to the store today and buy some kale/cucumbers and some sugar snap pea pods and try those!

If he hates 'em you can always make yourself a nice salad.....I eat so much healthier when I have squirrels in the house. :D

CupCake'sMomma
09-27-2008, 01:30 PM
I had this exact problem with Cupcake - she didn't really get interested in "real" food until she was about 11ish weeks. And once she started eating it she was all about the fruit but wouldn't touch her greens (i would just put them all in the same dish). Just like a kid!
Thanks to some great advice she now doesn't get her fruit until shes eaten her veggies, and its worked quite well - shes actually excited about them! IS is absolutely right in saying they are picky - so keep searching! Its kinda fun to see what they like and dislike... Good luck!!

lookmomchickens
09-27-2008, 03:01 PM
I gave him some carrots, because he obviously doesn't like anything else in my fridge... and he LOVED them :wahoo - both shredded & baby carrots - I figured this was better that not having anything in his stomach but formula..

I'm going to Whole Foods tonight with a mighty long - but loving - grocery list:crazy