PDA

View Full Version : more questions...

acomer
09-24-2008, 07:42 AM
my little girl is im guessing around 4 weeks, she has full fur but her eyes arent open yet.. they look like they are going to open at any moment. im feeding her the puppies milk about every 3-4 hours.. and pedialyte once of twice in between.. the thing is her stools arent hard at all and i didnt know if this was normal.. its kinda of an orange color and is runny.. but she is going almost every feeding.. if not every other feeding. shes also eating very fast i think, so i ordered some nipples from chris's site.. which im hoping will help with that.... i also didnt know when to start introducing foods to her, im guessing its sometime after she opens her eyes..?? and when do i stop using the heating pad in her bed?? i only have it on half the cage .. but i wasnt sure how long she needs it for. any help appreciated.. oh also.. should i be feeding her during the night? i dont want her to get dehydrated.. so ive been feeding her atleast twice during the night..

4skwerlz
09-24-2008, 07:58 AM
my little girl is im guessing around 4 weeks, she has full fur but her eyes arent open yet.. they look like they are going to open at any moment. im feeding her the puppies milk about every 3-4 hours.. and pedialyte once of twice in between.. the thing is her stools arent hard at all and i didnt know if this was normal.. its kinda of an orange color and is runny.. but she is going almost every feeding.. if not every other feeding. shes also eating very fast i think, so i ordered some nipples from chris's site.. which im hoping will help with that.... i also didnt know when to start introducing foods to her, im guessing its sometime after she opens her eyes..?? and when do i stop using the heating pad in her bed?? i only have it on half the cage .. but i wasnt sure how long she needs it for. any help appreciated.. oh also.. should i be feeding her during the night? i dont want her to get dehydrated.. so ive been feeding her atleast twice during the night..

How long have you been feeding Pedialyte? It should only be fed for 48 hours maximum, in cases of severe dehydration. Too much Pedialyte actually causes dehydration. Also, make sure you don't mix her formula using the Pedialyte. Just use plain tap water.

Soft orangey poops are okay; runny poops are not. What formula mixture are you using: powder or pre-mix? how many parts formula, water, etc.?

You do NOT want to let her eat too fast. Control the flow very carefully or she can aspirate. It's great that she's got a good appetite though.

An exact age will help answer your questions. Here's a link with some help on aging your baby: http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.display&feature_id=174

Generally, if you can give some more details on exactly how you are caring for her, we can help you correct any problems.

Jackie in Tampa
09-24-2008, 07:58 AM
:Welcome
Gammas will be here soon to give you all the details of SQUIRREL:)
You can start reading THe ABCs of Baby Sqs ...it has alot of great info.:thumbsup
Welcome to TSB and is your little girl a grey sq?
We love pics and it will help the rehabbers to help you!
Thank you for loving a sq!:Love_Icon

acomer
09-24-2008, 08:04 AM
ok great.. yeah i will try and post pics of her when i get home tonight.. shes a fox squirrel.. and according to that site she looks to be 5 weeks.. i am feeding her the esbilac puppy powder and mixing it one part powder to two parts water.. i only gave her the pedialtye once a day for about 2 days.. i havent given her any in the last two days.. and her poop isnt really runny but it isnt hard at all.. and i didnt know when it was suppose to be getting harder.. maybe when she starts eating foods? oh and no i havent been mixing to two together.. the pedialite and the milk.. ive kept them seperate.

acomer
09-24-2008, 08:45 AM
oh also i have been feeding her twice during the night.. do you know when im suppose to just let her go through the night without anything?? or should i still feed her?:dono

wheezer
09-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Here is a good link for you.
http://www.scarysquirrel.org/special/pets/infant/squirrelmanual.pdf

If your baby is 5 weeks you probably only need to feed 5 times a day every 3 to 4 hours. The info in the link will help answer most of your questions.

Hope to see pics soon:)

acomer
09-25-2008, 10:49 AM
ok im really frustrated because those sites dont really answer my questions.. it kind of just elaborates instead of really answering them.. ugh sorry if this comes off rude, i think im just having an off day.. but i really wanna know....

4skwerlz
09-25-2008, 11:33 AM
ok im really frustrated because those sites dont really answer my questions.. it kind of just elaborates instead of really answering them.. ugh sorry if this comes off rude, i think im just having an off day.. but i really wanna know....

What are the questions you still have? As far as introducing foods, most people put some rodent block or a small cube of fruit with no skin in the cage with them once their eyes are fully open. It sometimes takes a while for them to get interested in it though. Once they're fully furred and eyes open, they don't really need the heating pad, but it doesn't hurt to leave it under half the container for a while, just in case. After all, they would have the extra warmth of their mom and siblings in the nest with them in the wild. I think the poop question was answered.... Are there any other questions?