View Full Version : Rehabber Question

09-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Hello all! :wave123
As some of you know I've been raising two baby squirrels. It's pretty much taken over my life and I love it. There's nothing like having the feeling inside knowing that you saved the life of a small helpless creature. Im still in school and I'm not sure what I want to do when I graduate yet, but for some reason becoming a rehabber seems like something that would make me happy. I'm just not sure how to go about doing it? Also can becomming a rehabber be a carrer where I would actually get paid? If I became a rehabber would I be able to choose the animals i work with? I would love to start off with Squirrels and even try Racoons. Well thats all I can think of for now if i can think of any more questions I'll ask. I figured this would be a good place to start my search.:multi

09-23-2008, 07:38 PM
You dont get paid but the rewards are awesome,:D obviously you have felt that.
Actually its costs you money, lots of time, sleepless nights, but there is no greater way to give of your time then to help animals.
You can someday find a rehabber in your area, and volunteer for them.
When they see you know what you are doing they will allow you to bring babies home to raise. And yes you should be able to pick "just squirrels".:D

09-23-2008, 09:41 PM
I wish we got paid!!!!! Boy would that be a help! However its true the reward pays for itself. You do it for the animals anyway.

Jackie in Tampa
09-24-2008, 05:36 AM
:thumbsup glad to see all is good with the babies!:grouphug

09-24-2008, 10:46 AM
How would one go about being a licensed wildlife rehabber? I'm interested in trying after my 18th birthday in October, because I get quite a few animals each year that my relatives bring me and there's nothing more rewarding than this.
Does anybody have a link or information as to what it would take in Ohio, or do I have to call up the wildlife resource department or the fish and game people and ask them?

09-24-2008, 11:21 AM
I would call up fish and game and ask them. I believe obtaining is different in each state.
Over here you need to work under a licensed rehabber for a set amount of time ( aka be apprenticed ) and then fill out lots of paper work and take a test.
I would call them up ask them and in the meantime find a local rehabber or center and see if one is willing to apprentice you.

09-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Well, I'm volunteering at a rehab center under animal care for the poor animals that can't be released. I'll go ahead and call up the fish and game people and ask them what's required. :D Thanks.

09-25-2008, 03:05 PM
If you are volunteering at a wildlife center they should be able to tell you there. Ask the director or whoever runs the center.