PDA

View Full Version : How to release information request.

Scruffer
09-22-2008, 12:35 PM
I am getting ready to release Chip and Dale Short tail in a few weeks( 2 1/2 month greys) Can anyone direct me to information on how to do this? I will release them in my yard. I was planning on puttting their 3 level cage by the trees and feeding patform. I purchased 2 squirrel house cedar boxes one they live in their cage and the other one I will put up tall in a tree around the cage area. I think their Mother and Dad and other small squirrel are in my yard too as I have had a feeding platform for several years. I live in Texas so it will be warm enough for most of the year.
I am trying to post pictures.

Thanks so much ...Scruffer Squirrel

pamela lee
09-22-2008, 12:59 PM
HI and Welcome,
You can put them out in a pre-release cage around 12 to 14 weeks. They will need to stay there for 2 to 4 weeks more, while they perfect their climbing and jumping skills. I put lots of natural foods and large and small limbs in so they get used to all the natural stuff. The first week I don't leave them out at night. I'll put them out during the day then move them in at night so they can get used to the weather and sounds. At first they will be a little scared but it won't take them long to start looking around. I don't open the cage until their 4 months old. Good Luck! It is truly an amazing and rewarding thing to watch them go off into the world they are meant to be free in.

longshotgamble
05-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Wow, 4 months.....I was under the impression that they are ready to be released at or around 12 weeks. I have a kid that I found on march 13 and planned to release her around june 15. She is already hoarding rodent block and nest building in her box; which I have in her cage - still inside. She is my first kid and she was about 5 days old when she was found as well as we (my rehabber in SC) could figure; tiny!

island rehabber
05-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Some do release at 12 weeks, but studies have shown that mamma squirrel doesn't really let her kids go around unsupervised until they are about 14-16 weeks old. So, since ours are raised by us and not mamma squirrel, they are at a disadvantage to begin with so it is probably better to wait as Pamela Lee said, 16 weeks. Especially with spring babies, you don't have to worry about them getting out there and building a nest before winter comes. :thumbsup

longshotgamble
05-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Thanks. She is becoming a little anti social and is starting to drag stuff into her nest box, but still taking some formula. I told my better half that we will have Ms Butter for another month and he said, "You don't have to give me excuses as to why you want to hang on for longer." He knows how much I love her and will miss her, but he also knows I can't wait to see her scramble up a tree and start her squirrelly life. I will definately check with the rehabber that has been guiding me before I release as she knows so much more than I.