PDA

View Full Version : Hi guys! Advice please!

MommaMelly
08-11-2006, 11:41 PM
Hey all you squirrel nuts!
Sorry I never gave an update on Butter Bean. She was released in what i consider to be a squirrel heaven and is arguably one of the happiest little ladies in the world. I miss her to pieces but I check up on her and she is doing wonderfully.

To get down to business--i have a new baby! A friend called 2 nights ago who had found a precious 4.5 week old baby. I got her rehydrated and have started her on the formula. The only problem she is having is with bathroom business. When I first got her she had diarrhea all night, it cleared up, but now there is no poop! It has been almost 24 hours and she has been eating very well. She is urinating (not much) when stimulated, but nothing else.

Should i be concerned or is her body just adjusting to the formula?:dono
Thanks!!

island rehabber
08-12-2006, 07:33 AM
Hey all you squirrel nuts!
Sorry I never gave an update on Butter Bean. She was released in what i consider to be a squirrel heaven and is arguably one of the happiest little ladies in the world. I miss her to pieces but I check up on her and she is doing wonderfully.

To get down to business--i have a new baby! A friend called 2 nights ago who had found a precious 4.5 week old baby. I got her rehydrated and have started her on the formula. The only problem she is having is with bathroom business. When I first got her she had diarrhea all night, it cleared up, but now there is no poop! It has been almost 24 hours and she has been eating very well. She is urinating (not much) when stimulated, but nothing else.

Should i be concerned or is her body just adjusting to the formula?:dono
Thanks!!

First of all, YAY for Butter Bean!!! Good job!
As for the new kid, the changeover to formula can take more than 24 hrs....also having had diarrhea the poor thing doesn't have much to poop out yet. Did you gradually increase the formula to full strength? If not, full strength may be too much for her right now and you need to dilute it for a day or so to get her system back on track. As always, make sure the formula is really warm and try a warm, wet washcloth for stimulating. Believe me I feel your pain -- three of my four were taking FOREVER to poop when I first got them.....feeding time was easily an hour and a half....AAK!

MommaMelly
08-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks so much Island Rehabber! You would have been so tickled with Butter Bean. She wasn't even nervous at her new home! She was like a kid at DisneyLand, climbing and jumping all over a huge oak tree. That made the release so much easier. We check in with the people who assisted in the release often, and they say she is one of the fattest and happiest babies on the property!:wahoo ^Proud momma^

As for the new baby, she is very strong and healthy, just no poop! i did gradually increase the formula to full strength, and I started diluting it again this morning. i have tried nearly everything to get this little one to go--dry Q-tips, moist Q-tips, cotton balls, moist rags, even belly massages. It does ease my mind to know that is make take her a little while and that you have been there before.
It been about 36 hours now
When should I start getting worried?

Timber
08-12-2006, 10:42 AM
The first week-end that I had the girls 2 of them got constapated and began to get bloat so the pharmicist told me to put just a drop of KAYRO syurp in their formula. It worked, they had "soft" stools, not quiet diareah, but they were able to pass everything and in less than 2 days they were back to normal. Oh yes, I only put the syurp in their formula for one day. Then stopped because I didn't wan't it to develope in to diareah.

GhosTS
08-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Constipation..All my babies had it.I used Lactulose..Its a mild luxative that they give to all things.even humans.Just a drop is enough.Kayro would work too.But I havent tried it.Both of them make the poop absorb water from the gut.And make the poop soft and easier to eliminate.Dont wait with constipation.It can turn in to bloat.

MommaMelly
08-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Thanks guys.
i spoke with my rehabber earlier and she suggested I give her 3/10 cc of mineral oil. I gave it to her about 2 1/2 hours ago. She said it should start to work within about 8 hours. If this doesn't work I will definitely try the lactulose or kayro syrup. She hasn't started to bloat yet, but I can imagine it is coming because it has been more than 36 hours now. :(

Thanks for all the advice and please keep your fingers crossed for my little girl!:grouphug

MommaMelly
08-12-2006, 07:36 PM
STILL NO POOP!

i am getting very concerned!:Cry And now she is not eating!! I feel like I have tried everything. I even tried a warm bath with belly massage. My rehabber suggested another dose of mineral oil and not feeding her the Esbalic, but trying a small dose of Ensure just to be sure she is getting proper nutrition.:dono

GhosTS
08-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Dialute the formula a bit.Even if you use ensure..dialute it a bit.A Baby will stop eating if he is severely constipated.Thats bad.Perhaps you should try the other products.

MommaMelly
08-13-2006, 06:23 AM
Still nothing this morning. This is really not looking good at all. I think i may try to take her to a rehabber to see if there is something maybe that I am not seeing or doing correctly. :Cry

island rehabber
08-13-2006, 06:28 AM
Is she still not eating? It would be a very good idea to get her to a rehabber and/or wildlife vet at this point. She may become dehydrated and that will further block her up, so to speak. Good luck, MMelly -- keep us posted!

MommaMelly
08-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Is she still not eating? It would be a very good idea to get her to a rehabber and/or wildlife vet at this point. She may become dehydrated and that will further block her up, so to speak. Good luck, MMelly -- keep us posted!

I am giving her small amounts of Ensure dilluted with water. Other than that, my rehabber said it probably wasn't a good idea to add more food to her little belly. My husband is taking her to a rehabber who lives about 2 hours away this afternoon to see if she can do anything. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I will be sure to post back when I find out what the rehabber thinks.

MommaMelly
08-13-2006, 11:18 AM
SHE WENT!!!!

:wahoo :bowdown :D :thumbsup :crazy :rotfl :jump :wave :thumbsup3 :thumbsup5 :smilecolors :flash3 :p :Pals

I never thought I would be so happ about poop!:rotfl
My husband took her to the rehabber and obviously on the way she pushed all that hard stuff out! PHEW! She had me really scared! Maybe the car ride helped?? Either way I am SO relieved! Thanks for all the advice guys!!

:jump :jump :jump :jump :jump :jump :jump

island rehabber
08-13-2006, 11:24 AM
I've got the New York Times on the line.....
exactly what time was it that she pooped?

:crazy :rotfl :wahoo

rygel1hardt
08-13-2006, 12:01 PM
WOOHOO YEAH!!!!!!!! GOOD BABY!

SHE WENT!!!!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
08-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Yippie!:wahoo

MommaMelly
08-13-2006, 05:44 PM
I've got the New York Times on the line.....
exactly what time was it that she pooped?

:crazy :rotfl :wahoo

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl
At approximately 11:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, a 5 week old baby produced one of the largest poops ever seen by MommaMelly. :crazy

She opened her eyes shortly after! Probably all that straining! LOL
It was VERY hard and it tired the little girl out. My rehabber sent the poop home with my husband in a rubber glove for me to see. LOL

Thanks so much for all the support guys! I couldn't have survived it without the help from all of you, plus I had rehabbers across the state rallying together to help her!

Momma Squirrel
08-14-2006, 08:54 AM
So glad to hear Butter Bean is happy and wild. Very happy to hear about the new baby and her bathroom habits doing OK :crazy Let us know how she does and what you name her. You are a great mom, keep up the good work:thumbsup

GhosTS
08-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Thats Great news.She got over the poop problem + she opened her eyes.And she did it without much help.

island rehabber
08-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Thats Great news.She got over the poop problem + she opened her eyes.And she did it without much help.

Nahh, not much help, just the prayers and pleadings of squirrel lovers on two continents.
:D

MommaMelly
08-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Thanks so much to all of you!:grouphug

I think we are naming her Cuddles. Because she loves to cuddle! She is doing really well, but is still having pooping problems. She hasn't went again since Sunday. :(
I gave her another dose of mineral oil, and I am hoping her plumbing will start to work properly as she is getting a little older. She is possibly just still adjusting to the formula + her new environment.:dono