PDA

View Full Version : distress call?

momshea4
08-11-2006, 10:47 PM
My baby grey squirrel (3 or 4 weeks) began to make cute little noises as he gained strength. He would 'complain' a little while i refilled the syringe. I know that sound is normal. But this morning, one of my kids bumped his box and he got jarred. In a delayed reaction, he suddenly started chirping ten seconds later. A really loud and piercing 'CHIRP! CHIRP!...' like a bird. Since then, he has made that sound 3 or 4 more times today. In every case, I find that he has crawled too far away from his heat source. This is a very loud noise... audible from 3 rooms away. Is this normal?

island rehabber
08-11-2006, 10:55 PM
see
My baby grey squirrel (3 or 4 weeks) began to make cute little noises as he gained strength. He would 'complain' a little while i refilled the syringe. I know that sound is normal. But this morning, one of my kids bumped his box and he got jarred. In a delayed reaction, he suddenly started chirping ten seconds later. A really loud and piercing 'CHIRP! CHIRP!...' like a bird. Since then, he has made that sound 3 or 4 more times today. In every case, I find that he has crawled too far away from his heat source. This is a very loud noise... audible from 3 rooms away. Is this normal?

Completely normal. My four do it once or twice a day.....I rush to them, stubbing toes and banging body parts on the way, only to find that everything is fine. Maybe somebody's claw got stuck in somebody's face, or as happened yesterday somebody pooped on his sister's head (I swear to God, LOL!). Anyway it seems like once they get the hang of doing that chirp they use it whenever they can. It is always good to be safe and check what the problem is, though. The next milestone will be when they discover their angry barking sound, at about 8-9 weeks. That's a real trip!!

momshea4
08-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. What I love so much about this board is that everyone is very patient with new people (like me). I have had this little one for a week now. I'm amazed he is still alive, when I think about how bad he looked at first.
He is still skinny, but his belly is round and he is strong and squirmy. My sons are making fun of me for babying the squirrel (I have taken to kissing his head every time I pick him up). I am trying to keep in mind that I could still lose him, but I can't help feeling encouraged by his progress.
Thaks again!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
08-12-2006, 07:09 AM
One time when we first started putting my older squirrels out little rippie left out this squealing high pitched sound as soon as we got the cage positioned outside. I dont know if it was from being scared or what it was, but we quickly moved them back in. I never heard it after that but it scared the life out of me.

island rehabber
08-12-2006, 08:00 AM
In every case, I find that he has crawled too far away from his heat source.?

Momshea, I just thought of something: if you are not already doing this, make a "donut" out of a rolled-up cloth, T-shirt or whatever and surround the baby with it. He doesn't need more than a 6-7 inch circle to sleep in, and that will keep him on his heat source and the "walls" around him will make him feel safer.

Secret Squirrel
08-12-2006, 01:27 PM
This is just a tip too momshea4......I fill up several syringes with formula and place them in a cup of very warm water. That way there isn't a long pause between syringes. Plus I know exactly how much I gave them by counting the empty syringes.:peace
Once when the kidz got older...Macy would go straight for the cup o' syringes and forget all her manners, and knocked the whole thing over!!!!:rotfl Too funny.....5 squirrels just gettin' it.....syringes and water all over the floor!!!!:rotfl

island rehabber
08-12-2006, 01:34 PM
My little PeeWee from last year used to do the same thing....creep up the cage while I was feeding the others and go for the syringes!!

MommaMelly
08-12-2006, 01:46 PM
My little PeeWee from last year used to do the same thing....creep up the cage while I was feeding the others and go for the syringes!!

Thats is an adorable picture!!
He even has a guilty look on his face. LOL

momshea4
08-25-2006, 10:21 PM
It has been a little while... he is alot stronger. I do use that 'several syringes filled' method (very handy). I only wanted to add.... now he makes that alarm call when he hears a fire-truck siren!