PDA

View Full Version : Weaning...

Theodore's Mommy
09-20-2008, 01:08 AM
Theodore is 9wks old and has started refusing his formula throughout the day. However, every morning he is demanding about wanting only his formula, and nothing else. He only wants his rodent blocks and fruits & veggies during the day. His favorites are Lettuce and carrots....and he is in love with watermelon.

He seems to eat a good amount of lettuce and carrots, but I'm still worried about whether he is getting enough nutrients since he will only take his formula in the mornings.

As for hydration, I'm concerned that he is going to become dehydrated because he will not accept any water during the day either. I have a bowl of water in his cage and i try hand feeding water and he goes to neither one. Should I be all that concerned since the fact that his favorite foods are high in water content? I always do the pinch test to make sure he isn't dehydrated...and he is regularly peeing after eating.

Please help....

Jackie in Tampa
09-20-2008, 04:24 AM
:Welcome :wave123 Welcome Theodore and Theo's Mommy!
How much formula is he taking at 9 wks? and what formula are you offering? Gammabs Baby will be on to post a list of good foods, it is very important at this time to offer the veggies that will benefit him nutritionally, if he is pooping and peeing, he probably is ok. Of course we want them on formula for as long as we can , Esbilac is so very high in the GOOD STUFF!, but if they are wanting to wean, Theo should be getting the RIGHT FOODS!
We love pics here, and can't wait to see baby Theo!:grouphug

Theodore's Mommy
09-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Theodore is getting 8ml/cc of Esilibac Puppy Formula per feeding. He is loves the formula, but will only take it one time per day. For the past couple of weeks, he has been the one reducing his feedings. Yes, he is peeing a pooing very well. :thumbsup I'm going to offer him green pepper today with his veggies.

Also, he is only getting a piece of fruit at night before heading to bed. He seems to like that a nighttime treat and sleep throughout the night.

I was mainly afraid that he would become dehyrated and a lack of nutrients since he will only drink his formula in the mornings.

I will add a few photos in my next post. :crazy

Theodore's Mommy
09-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks a lot for the replies. Anytime I am outside, I try to have him out there as well. Also, I make sure he is out atleast two hours a day. He has alot of wild foods in his cage at all time, so he definetly is not deprived of that.

Theodore just made a liar out of me...I caught him going to his bowl of water a getting a drink. I guess I'll just start to be more worried if he stops peeing as much. I gave him a piece of cheese this morning for the first time and he LOVED it.