PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel motions or movements

Scruffer
09-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Hello everyone, I am new to The Squirrel Board. I am Scruffer Squirrel.

I found 2 baby squirrels in my yard after Hurricane Dolly. They were 3 weeks old and now are 2 months. One was clicking and I took the information I found here on your Board..to my vet. She mixed the med and Chip recovered....sister Dolly did not get sick. I am in the process of releasing them in my yard.
Thank you all for your help...reading your boards I was able to learn everything I needed to raise 2 healthy squirrels....
My question is what does it mean when they rub their face then their side and go down to their tail...it is so cute and I think it is a happy sign ...they both do it and it is not related to food....I am sure it shows something..I have been wondering about this for awhile...I will be reading the rehab section as I process through release....boo hoo...I have a wonderful yard for them so I think they will stick around... best regards..Scruffer Squirrel..:D

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-19-2008, 05:55 PM
They are more than likely cleaning themselves, grooming.:D
The best age for release is a minimum of 12 weeks preferably 14 weeks.
You will need to back up feed through the winter...keeping food available and water at all times.
Do you have any pictures? SOunds like you did a great job!

Sciurus1
09-22-2008, 08:24 PM
My question is what does it mean when they rub their face then their side and go down to their tail...it is so cute and I think it is a happy sign ...they both do it and it is not related to food..

This is funny and very familiar, having had squirrels for many years.
You have heard of the phrase about cats, 'when in doubt wash"? Squirrels do this in a hurry, as you seem to have described, almost ritualistically, to show they are agitated. They do clean themselves, but slower, not the rush job that you see, with the rubbing the face and then rubbing all over.

Scruffer
09-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the explanations. Chip and Dale are doing well, tomorrow I will put a pot with dirt in their cage so they can learn to bury their food. They like it outside in their cage. I will have them out there for a month or so before I open the door.
Scruffer Squirrel