PDA

View Full Version : Nipple question

Critter_Queen
08-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Hi everyone! Man, am I glad to see a forum like this!!

I've just recently purchased a set of silicone nipples for a squirrel I'm rehabbing. They are about 1.25" in total length. I bought them because Weezel and I were having a difficult time with just the syringe. Now we're doing great with the feeding...but he keeps trying to jam the whole nipple in his mouth while eating...

How far should I allow the nipple into his mouth? I've been holding my finger about half way down the nipple to keep him from taking in the whole thing...but he seems to eat better and more contentedly if I let him suck the whole nipple.

Help please. :grouphug

Secret Squirrel
08-12-2006, 01:36 PM
:Welcome Critter Queen!!
I had the same concern as you do. Watching them take that whole nipple was pretty scary for me also.
I tryed the same technique you mentioned by letting the nipple rest between your fingers, but they seem to nurse better and have more satisfaction by ingulfing the whole nipple.
I jam the nipples onto the syringe past the tip and on to the syringe body. This is a pic of a 1 cc syringe with the nipple pushed on. It won't slip off as easly. :peace
Good luck and post a pic when you can:thumbsup

Critter_Queen
08-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks for your response! Man, you must really have to jam that nipple on there! LOL! Cuz I'm not having any luck! But, he's not a huge sucker just yet, so I think holding it on with my finger will do for the time being. I doubt it will be long before he just inhales half the syringe anyway...sooo....

Hopefully I've attached Weezel's pic correctly. This is my favorite one of him so far. :D

Secret Squirrel
08-14-2006, 12:21 PM
Yeah your right....I use a rubber thingy that open jar lids...it's flat and gets a good grip on the nipple. I also used a clean dish towel to hold the nipple while twisting and turning the nipple on to the syringe. I actually stand the syring up on the counter top ...tip up....and mash down with the nipple while twisting and turning it.....:rolf !!!!!
I hope you got the visual!!!!!!:thumbsup

Momma Squirrel
08-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Critter Queen Weezel is adorable. Good luck on the upbring, keep us posted and lots of pictures.