PDA

View Full Version : New mum squirrel with lump on back

Abi
09-16-2008, 06:49 PM
She's a darling... she comes when she's hungry, she's unashamedly skittish (understandable) and she looks very much like she's got her hands full with the kids... She's a relative newcomer to the garden and she's definitely had lessons from the others - thats for sure!
After not seeing her for a couple of weeks, she showed up today all cute and innocent and hungry and she made short work of the birdseed I'd put out... it was then that I noticed a lump on her back... slightly raised with a red head... I tried to get a pic of the lump, but as she was so skittish, I had to just make do with some 'cute' shots (and considering everything, she's a real babe to say the very least). I havent noticed that its caused her any discomfort and judging by her nipples, it does seem she's still suckling the kids and I guess her dray can't be that far away, but... I won't be able to make out any nests until Autumn kicks in properly... I'm keeping a watchful eye on her and I know it's probably best that she eats and tends to her young right now... she's not got a fixed visiting time schedule, so I don't know when I'm going to see her next or if.
(she's also a noisy eater too... dear gods, we can hear her in the living room with the tv on and a video game going...!)

She's also got a small tuft of fur missing on her right side, barely visible, but it's there... I do feel for her...
Allow me to introduce you all to 'Big Ears'
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3068/2862173743_766c698de8.jpg

I shall endeavour to attempt to get a pic of the lump, but it won't be easy, I had a job enough getting this pic of her! :D
Either way, she's a smashing mummy to her kids and I do hope they visit the garden when they're old enough :D

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Abi do you think she has a botfly?

Abi
09-16-2008, 07:10 PM
I was thinking that, but I couldn't find the info here on it...
She doesn't really seem to be suffering that much and I guess that once the botfly (or whatever it is) leaves her, she'll still be around to visit (hey, I wanna see those babies!! :D) and she's a welcome addition to the garden...
I just wish I knew of some natural remedy I could entice her with that will ease some of the stuff shes going through without it getting to her milk supply and ending up ingested by the kids...

For the meantime, the only thing I can do is make observations... if its left her, I'll notice... if it's still with her, I'll notice... if Autumn does me the favour of clearing enough foliage for me to make her nest out - I'd be dang happy as I'd be able to ensure the kids get looked after :D

I may have to set up a webcam and film her... which, is probably the better option :D

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-16-2008, 07:18 PM
http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/slansky/botfly/wrbnew/wrbnew.htm

Frickster
09-16-2008, 07:25 PM
there's also a bot fly section on the squirrel board....

genereal > breed specific > specific ailments > the thread then is bot flies