PDA

View Full Version : dirty squirrels!

IskyWildlifeRescue
09-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Does someone have any tips on cleaning up baby flying squirrels? I have 6 of the little boogers and they have been a little greasy since I received them at about 6 wks old. I"m guessing from peeing on each other? Now that I am switching them over to eating out of a dish they bathe in the milk and look a mess. I gave them a gentle rub down with a warm damp cloth but it didn't help much. Any ideas??
ps. the day i have to release them i am going to be a mental case. i totally adore them, they are the sweetest little creatures i have ever met.

foxsquirrels
09-13-2008, 09:33 PM
I can't help you with that one. I have never raised a flying squirrel. I sure would love to though!
I'll bet if you put this question under the flying squirrel post you'll get lots of answers.

IskyWildlifeRescue
09-13-2008, 11:04 PM
thanks ! Didn't realize there was a Flyer page, this place is great!

island rehabber
09-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Isky I have personally never been closer than 20 feet from a flying squirrel but I believe that 'greasy' look to their fur is natural when they are babies, and it improves by itself later on. Definitely check it out with some of our flyer folks like muffinsquirrel, but I think that's the case.

skye
09-13-2008, 11:30 PM
But also said they bathe in the milk:thinking not good for the fur so using unscented baby wipes wouldn't that be ok?

IskyWildlifeRescue
09-14-2008, 03:04 PM
thanks guys!

Rhapsody
09-14-2008, 11:36 PM
I have sugar gliders and I always wipe them off with natural unscented baby wipes when needed.