PDA

View Full Version : Can an adult (pet) squirrel be released?

heyjamai
09-03-2008, 04:38 PM
I have a question. I have a pet squirrel that is almost 4 years old that I LOVE DEARLY. The problem is, he only likes me. He bites everyone but me. He will even attack people for no reason. My husband insists that I should let him go. The only reason I would even consider it is because we want to start having kids within the next few years, and my husband says we can't have a squirrel that bites around the kids. And I feel guilty not letting my squirrel be free. He has a large cage and he is well taken care of and safe in my house.

I do not want to let him go, for many reasons. Obviously I am very attached to him and I want to keep him. Mostly, I worry for his safety. He has never been outside and does not know how to survive out there. He is very used to cats and will not run from them. There are other cats outside that would not hesitate to kill him. I am afraid he might attack our neighbors and have animal control capture him thinking he is rabid. I also read that squirrels are very territorial and I don't know if other squirrels in my yard would run him off or hurt him.

Basically, I am trying to figure out if it is possible for an adult squirrel who has lived his whole life in captivity to be released and what his chances of survival would be. I do not want to risk his life. I believe he is much safer and would live longer staying with me. My husband says he would be happier being let go, even if it meant not living as long. (I disagree. I think he just wants to get rid of him because he doesn't like him.)

What do you guys think? Has anyone ever released a full-grown pet and had success? I know he would be very happy to run free but I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to him!

LynninIN
09-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Under the circumstances you've listed, no, I do not think he would do well. Especially if you live in a populated area. He's use to people and not afraid of cats. We may be able to find an experienced person in your area that is willing to take him. Rehabbers can attempt to re-train him so he can safely be released in a supervised area.

squirrel princess
09-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Chipper only likes me too. I do not allow him out when others are around which is easy for me since I am single and basically live alone. I can see this could be difficult but I do not see how he could survive on his own:shakehead

wheezer
09-03-2008, 05:06 PM
I agree with Lynn. It is possible to have an experienced rehabber train him to be a "wild" squirrel so he can then be released.

Also maybe someone else could take him who can provid a huge living environment for him to live in captivity but not sure he will be happy living alone in a cage with little inter actions with anyone:dono

ShesASquirrelyGirl
09-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Answer is no, which is why it is so important for people to realize you are responsible for what you tame.
He may be able to be re trained with a rehabber but since he is fearless of other animals then I would still say no.
I would suggest finding someone on here who will keep him as a sheltered pet.

FLUFFYTAILNUT
09-03-2008, 05:11 PM
i have two children...i am the only one he loves..had him for one year..
he has his own room...
i say keep him...just make sure he has his own room...
there wouldnt be any way your baby...( i know he's full grown)..i call my bean..is my baby....as i was saying...he wouldnt survive hes had this spoiled pampered life...and would die one sad...and painfully lonely death..wondering..where his mummy is??

i wont allow him to run freely either..he comes out...of his cage...with supervision...
he is yours for life..just like any other family member..:thumbsup
:Welcome welcome to the squirrel board:Welcome
:wave123 rachel n bean:wave123
ps..dont mind the no use of caps..broken wrist..only one hand in use..:peace do you have any pictures you can share of your fuzzy baby?:wave123

dustinn91
09-03-2008, 05:49 PM
:Welcome to TSB. You could possibly try and build him a big cage in your backyard if you have one? and then maybe go visit him there. maybe even look into finding another squirrel in the area that you could raise and try and see if he would like him someone to keep him company? I don't know im just throwing out some ideas?:rotfl

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-03-2008, 07:35 PM
I have one question how does he feel about going outside. Has he ever showed any interest, does he seem happy and content? I personally would never make him change homes at this point in his life.

Sciurus1
09-04-2008, 06:38 PM
I agree, small children and squirrels don't mix, especially if they are not raised together. Yours being an adult, that won't tolerate others, is as you say a problem in that regard, and could cause injuries to young children trying to grab him. If kept apart, that is another matter, but again, they can even bite through a cage, so that is no guarantee an injury won't occur, even to him!

As far as releasing him now, that is a bad idea, for an animal of that age, habituated to humans and pets, would likely could not be successfully rehabilitated back to the wild. What I mean by that, is that they could come up to dogs that would hurt or kill them, and to people too, that they might see as a source of food and TORNADO! This is where a squirrel that has not has his rehabilitation completed as to wild up, climbs onto their former caregiver and runs a muck scratching and biting them. Even if a squirrel were moved some distance, this could happen to local residents not knowing the squirrel was this tame. That could then be the end of him right there. So no, do not let him go!

Even is he was given a release cage, which is one nice job to make, since they are quite large, it is likely you could not fully wild him up at this point anyway. So, whatever you do, don't just open the door, and just let him out, for he would not do well, and likely not survive, not having the reflexes a younger squirrel has, nor the strength a wild one has to be able to handle outdoor life.

If you cannot keep him, perhaps he could be used as an educational animal by a rehabber, or rehabber's assistant. Many of those who rehab squirrels have such animals, being the acception in States where to have them in captivity is illegal. These animals are kept with a permit to use them to teach children on squirrels. I urge you to find a go between, perhaps someone on our board, to contact a rehabber near you, and ask if they would like a squirrel for educational purposes, or even a pet. They would need to verify that the person taking him would not seek to release him, and not euthanize him if he then couldn't be released. Once that is established, you could then proceed with that adoption.

The last option would be to let someone here adopt him as their pet, or have someone they know do so, thatt has experience with squirrels. If separated from you, he may bond to another, even so it would take allot of time, and trust, it can happen, for they are very intelligent creatures.
[/B]
What kind of squirrel is he by the way? Can you PM me or one of our members to let us know about where you are, so we can offer further assistance in this process?

FLUFFYTAILNUT
09-04-2008, 06:56 PM
S1..from her avatar....he looks like a gray...:thumbsup

Sciurus1
09-05-2008, 02:21 AM
Yes he does FTN. Still waiting to hear if you want one of our members to try to find a home for him?

FallensMommie
09-05-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm with the others on this...NO!

Some other member mentioned a large outdoor cage. I briefly considered this with Fallen and decided against it because then they have to deal with bot flys and possilbility of squirrel pox and getting infested with tape worms etc. Just wasn't worth the risk. I say if you have a room you can commit him to that is yours and his playtime room...then keep him as that would be the most ideal.

smoknbunny
09-05-2008, 02:19 PM
I think you should explore every possible way to keep him. He could become VERY depressed without you. PLEASE try to figure out a way to keep him!!! 4 years is a long time. Squirrels are very smart and I think that could make separation from you very hard on him. You are his only human and squirrels do not tend to attach to someone new, especially at 4 yrs.

sherbear59
09-05-2008, 02:25 PM
I have to agree with the others ,,,,,,,,,, He would not make it in the REAL SQUIRREL WORLD . First he would never be able to understand why you do not love him anymore ,,, It would be like the dog that the owner dumps ,,,,,,,, I can'nt even bear to think about it,,,,,,,, Please figure out a way to keep him !:peace mine are indoors and I DO NOt alow anyone near them .

philomycus
09-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Get a new husband. :D

DO NOT let your baby go. He will not survive. Rocky only loves me and bites everyone else. It's a squirrel thing..... This is why we discourage people from keeping the cute little babies. We are not condensending you and don't want you to leave the Squirrel Board. Your life has changed in ways you probably didn't anticipate 4 years ago, we understand that. Can you be paitent in waiting for us to try to find a home for him????

I have dedicated a whole spare bedroom for my baby. Is this possible for you???

JLM27
09-08-2008, 09:14 AM
I think others keep their adult squirrels in a separate room in their cage unless they are out being supervised. I would vote with those that say he would likely not survive in the wild for very long. Once they get the idea that they are immune from cats and dogs, they are done.
You and he have bonded, and I think it goes both ways to say that you cannot be separated now without a lot of emotional trauma for him AND you. Squirrels seem somehow different from other animals; they really get very deep in your heart for some reason none of us really understand.
BUT where there is a will there is a way! It's tough when he relates to you and not to hubby. Could make your husband feel rejected and left out. He has to understand what the little creature really means to you, like Fallensmommy's husband finally realized, but also what it might mean to your relationship if he makes you give him up. Insisting that you give him up is moving in on your emotional territory. I think you have already answered your question for yourself. It may be more important than you know to the health of your relationship to be able to take a stand over this.

heyjamai
09-11-2008, 12:57 PM
I would first like to thank everyone for the replies! It has been a while since I wrote.
When I wrote my post, I was mostly looking for people to agree with me why I should not let him go. I have used these arguments on my husband ever since he has been pressuring me to let him go. He argues with me that Tails would be better off in the wild and that he is not happy living inside in a cage.
I would NEVER let him go if I thought he would not survive, which is why I posted on here. I know it sounds selfish of me but I am glad everyone said I have to keep him. If I had recieved a bunch of replies telling me he would be fine and to let him go, maybe I would have. I have NO desire to let him go. Because of my husband arguing with me so much I started thinking that maybe it was best for Tails.
I do not take my responsibility to him lightly. I have had him 4 years and have never yet given into my husband to let him go. I was feeling guilty over my desire to keep him even though he is a "wild animal."

After reading the posts, it is comforting that keeping him is not being selfish on my part. He really does need me, and really is better off with me. That is what I was questioning.

I have him in a large cage inside, I will post pics soon. Sometimes I move his cage outside on my back porch to let him see outside. He loves being outdoors and spends all day every day looking out the window.

Does anyone know how to build a large outdoor cage that is SNAKE-proof??? I have been thinking of building a regular cage then basically "wrapping" it with screen to keep mosquitoes and snakes out. Can snakes eat through screen? (I had baby birds in a cage once and a snake got in and got them.)

heyjamai
09-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Could make your husband feel rejected and left out. Insisting that you give him up is moving in on your emotional territory.

I think he probably does feel rejected. We got Tails as a baby and Tails loved my husband. (I would even say he favored him over me.) My husband joined the military and was gone for 6 months when Tails was a few months old. When my husband came back, Tails would have nothing to do with him. Now Tails bites him. I think at first his feelings were hurt. He tried to make Tails like him for a while but he never did. Now he hates Tails. It actually makes me really mad because I do love him so much.

sadiesmom
09-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Does anyone know how to build a large outdoor cage that is SNAKE-proof??? I have been thinking of building a regular cage then basically "wrapping" it with screen to keep mosquitoes and snakes out. Can snakes eat through screen? (I had baby birds in a cage once and a snake got in and got them.)

Snakes cannot eat through screen, but they sure can fit through some teensy holes. Be careful if you really are considering using screen, it can tear/deteriorate and leave holes small enough for a snake to possibly enter!

My boyfriend and I built my squirrel Sadie an outdoors cage, and it has been unoccupied since day one. We live in a heavily wooded area and I just don't trust her outside with the possibility of a snake getting through. We used (I believe) 1/2" wire, not screen. We did consider framing the bottom sides with a couple feet of some type of slick sheet metal (like flat tin) to deter snakes, but I wasn't about to invest more money in the cage that I still couldn't trust 100%. The metal idea came from visiting a local park where they wrapped smooth tin around tree trunks to keep snakes from climbing up and raiding bird boxes.

heyjamai
09-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Oh...I am SO HAPPY to hear you aren't going to let Tails go! :wott I have been scared to death for Tails since reading your question. :sanp3

Is he getting the diet we recommended to you earlier?

Did you get him Full Spectrum Lighting?

I did get him a full spectrum light. I'm glad I found this site, because the light I used for him before was only a UV light and I didn't know the difference. :)

I am having trouble getting him to eat the rat diet. I have been crushing the biscuits into powder and mixing w/ a little water and peanut butter to make him eat them. I think he doesn't consider them food! I know peanut butter isn't healthy but it's the only way I can make him eat it. I tried soaking them in orange juice (which he loves) and he won't touch it.

Any suggestions?
Is it worth feeding him peanut butter to make him eat the biscuits?

Sciurus1
09-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Screening is just to keep mosquitos out. As far as securing a cage outside, I would use wire grid inside and out, with wire on the bottom of the cage as well! Sadly I know of a rehabber who had made a cement perimeter foundation, and the raccoon were able to dig under and they killed her squirrels he had in it. Securing then a compound in this way is crucial to keep squirrel safe from outside predators, having a double barrier above, so that nothing can touch the squirrel inside, or push it's way in, or chew it's way in either. The door area the has to be very tight, so nothing can squeeze through. Perhaps using old shipping pallots for a base for such a cage, wood be an easy solution, if they had wire around them as well, so no incursions could occur. I realize some may think this is over kill, but I can assure all here, that I know of a rehabber, who had a single wire cage, setting on a cement perimeter foundation, and raccoons dug under it and killed her squirrels. It is therefore necessary that a cage be a fortress of sorts, to ensure the protection of the precious creatures housed within it.

heyjamai
09-15-2008, 11:33 AM
I am with you on this one... I would not trust the metal to keep snakes out. The only thing I can think of is screen or very fine wire mesh but I still would be worried about it. I don't think I'm going to put him in an outside cage after reading the posts on here!

Snakes cannot eat through screen, but they sure can fit through some teensy holes. Be careful if you really are considering using screen, it can tear/deteriorate and leave holes small enough for a snake to possibly enter!

My boyfriend and I built my squirrel Sadie an outdoors cage, and it has been unoccupied since day one. We live in a heavily wooded area and I just don't trust her outside with the possibility of a snake getting through. We used (I believe) 1/2" wire, not screen. We did consider framing the bottom sides with a couple feet of some type of slick sheet metal (like flat tin) to deter snakes, but I wasn't about to invest more money in the cage that I still couldn't trust 100%. The metal idea came from visiting a local park where they wrapped smooth tin around tree trunks to keep snakes from climbing up and raiding bird boxes.

heyjamai
09-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Also,

I contacted a cage company about getting a custom cage built. I am waiting for a reply and a price quote to see if it is worth it to get it built or try and do it ourselves. I want one that is 8ft wide by 2ft deep by 6ft tall. It would fit perfectly in the space I have and I think he would really like it. I wish I could make it a little deeper but I don't have room. He is by a window he loves to look out~ any bigger of a cage and I could not have him near the window!

I can't give him a whole room to play in as we only have a small 2 bedroom house and both rooms have way too much stuff that he could get into.

Plus I was told by our landlord that the house has lead-paint and if he chewed on the walls he could get very sick! (he does chew on them if I don't watch him closely.)

heyjamai
09-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Screening is just to keep mosquitos out. As far as securing a cage outside, I would use wire grid inside and out, creating a double barrier so that nothing can touch the squirrel inside, or push it's way in, or chew it's way in either. The door area the has to be very tight, so nothing can squeeze through. As for digger, like racoons, to set a cage on the dirt is not a good idea, for beside the cage being prone to rot, raccoons can get in. I realize some on our board have not had this problem, but I know of at least one that did, and lost their squirrel as a result. Perhaps using old shipping pallots for a base for such a cage, if the top was secured to such a base, and wire wrapped around the base as well.

Thanks for the reply! I didn't think of putting the wire grid inside and out. Once I get him a new cage for in the house, I will put his current cage on our screened-in porch and let him play in it sometimes. Maybe I will get some of the wire grid like you said on that cage to make it snake-proof. But mostly he will live in his big inside cage! :)

squirrel princess
09-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Try these they have PB in them and are better than the chow:thumbsup takes a bit of money and time to get the ingredients but makes a lot of cookies
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12386

Gamma makes scones too so i will get that recipe for you:poke

heyjamai
09-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks! I just bought him a bunch of food for now so I might try getting the ingredients nest time I go squirrel-food shopping. I thought calcium w/ vitamin D was bad for them??

*What type of leash do you have on your squirrel in the picture? Tails freaks out when I try to put a leash on him. I gave up because I am afraid he will hurt himself! (He rolls around squeaking and biting at it. I know it doesn't hurt because it is very loose on him.)

How much Calcium do you give your squirrel per day? I have 500mg calcium carbonate pills. I didn't really know how much to give him so I have been chopping the pill into powder and probably giving him about 1/6 of the pill per day. Is that too much or not enough?

Is it possible for a squirrel to have too much calcium in his diet? like if he eats broccli, kale, etc, and calcium pills? (I don't want him to overdose!)

heyjamai
09-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Beans is soooo cute!!! Thanks for taking the time to reply/broken wrist and all! :thankyou Tails doesn't have his own room.... We have a small 2br house and the extra room is so small his cage woudn't even fit in it. He lives in the living room! :) Plus there is a window where he can see a tree in the yard that the squirrels come down to eat. So he is pretty happy there.

I guess when we have kids I can cover his cage w/ wire mesh or something to prevent their fingers getting bitten.

I will put more pics up.. I wish I had more. He doesn't like the flash so usually after one picture he runs away and all I get are shots of his butt! :shakehead

i have two children...i am the only one he loves..had him for one year..
he has his own room...
i say keep him...just make sure he has his own room...
there wouldnt be any way your baby...( i know he's full grown)..i call my bean..is my baby....as i was saying...he wouldnt survive hes had this spoiled pampered life...and would die one sad...and painfully lonely death..wondering..where his mummy is??

i wont allow him to run freely either..he comes out...of his cage...with supervision...
he is yours for life..just like any other family member..:thumbsup
:Welcome welcome to the squirrel board:Welcome
:wave123 rachel n bean:wave123
ps..dont mind the no use of caps..broken wrist..only one hand in use..:peace do you have any pictures you can share of your fuzzy baby?:wave123

Frickster
09-16-2008, 01:36 AM
I don't know if it would help...but Frick used to REALLY STRONGLY dislike my dad. She'd be playing just fine with me and my mom and the second my dad wound touch her she'd "bark" at him and make these awful noises. She was downright RUDE! :) He had always been really sweet with her and when she first came she LOVED running all over him and climbing down in his sweatshirts. We couldn't figure out what was wrong but we made her bed out of some of his t-shirts and then gave them some 1 on 1 bonding time. Long story short - my mom had to spend several weeks at the hospital with my grandmother and that left my dad and I on Frick duty. After a couple weeks, she was totally ok with him and now any of the three of us can take care of her needs. Maybe giving Tails something with your husband's scent on it would help and then slowly getting them to spend time together - once Tails accepted him again (if he did) maybe he wouldn't be so dead set on Tails packing up. :)

heyjamai
09-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Frickster,
I will definitely try that! I figured there was no hope of them ever getting along. My husband would really have to put forth effort. I hope he will do it. If they could bond it would make my life a lot easier.

If I was Tails, I wouldn't like him either. Animals can sense when you don't like them! I finally had it out with my husband. I told him it really infuriates me how he talks bad about Tails and keeps trying to talk me into letting him go even though I told him Tails would not survive.

I told him I was tired of him finding reasons to put off buying/making Tails another cage. I told him if he didn't help me I would just get the cage by myself and he would have to deal with it. (I have been asking him to help me make one for the past 2 years!)

I think finally he knows where I'm coming from.

heyjamai
09-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Gammas Baby,
Thanks for the two recipes. Another member posted the recipe for the blocks in a different thread for me, I guess they must be pretty popular!? :thumbsup

I'll get the ingredients in a few weeks when I run out of his current food. Tails will eat pretty much all veggies and fruits. He is only picky when it comes to things like biscuits and yogurt, etc. So I guess I'm lucky; I have no problem getting him to eat his greens! :)

Sciurus1
09-16-2008, 04:44 PM
There is a company that sells large cages online, all wire ones. They have a list of the measurements as well of what is recommended by the wildlife rehabbilitators of America. I will try to get back to you with that info.

sparky
09-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Hi,

another thing to consider is the fact that you are his only friend. In time he may make a new friend, but squirrels are really quite sensitive, and can become very depressed when they lose their one friend. Since you live in Tampa, I know of a lady that took a squirrel she had raised to Lovely Lolita's, and said that she did okay. It would be hard for a 4 year old squirrel to make that transition, but not impossible with the help of a good rehabber that has plenty of time. Even then there's still a chance he will come across someone though, and bite them, which would lead to his demise.

We have 3 squirrels 4 years old. The males are just like yours. One bonded with my wife, and the other bonded with me. We just make time to spend wih them everyday. For me it's more of a pleasure than a task. Since you do not have kids now, you still have time. While some squirrels may live to be 20 years old in captivity, this is not the norm. Over the years I have known a lot of people that have kept squirrels, and most have died somewhere between 6 to 12 years, with one living to be 15 years old.

I believe that you should be able to find a good solution.

Best wishes,

Sparky

heyjamai
09-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Sparky ~ thanks for the reply. I am not letting him go. If I had decided to do it, it would only have been in my own yard where I could still feed him & pet him & take care of him. I would never just drop him off somewhere or give him to someone else. I know he loves me and I love him very much & couldn't live without making sure he was okay.

heyjamai
09-16-2008, 10:45 PM
: look into finding another squirrel in the area that you could raise and try and see if he would like him someone to keep him company? I don't know im just throwing out some ideas?:rotfl

Would he be happier/less lonely when I'm gone if he had another squirrel to play with? Would two squirrels share a cage and nest, and play together?

Have any of you ever kept them in pairs?

I never thought of that... Since I am in the process of finding/making a larger cage that might be an option.

What do you guys think?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-17-2008, 07:01 AM
I have been crushing the biscuits into powder and mixing w/ a little water and peanut butter to make him eat them. I think he doesn't consider them food! I know peanut butter isn't healthy but it's the only way I can make him eat it. I tried soaking them in orange juice (which he loves) and he won't touch it.

Any suggestions?
Is it worth feeding him peanut butter to make him eat the biscuits?

yes it is, you can get all natural pb.
I have to make them this way for mine because of a teeth issue, I mix some liquid and powder esbilac in and a few nuts also to insure she eats them.

heyjamai
09-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Do you give the esbilac to an adult squirrel? Or just a baby? I'll look for that all-natural peanut butter. :)

sadiesmom
09-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Here's my recipe for Critter Scones that I make for Baby as a snack, and she just LOVES them, and they are very healthy. :thumbsup

1 cup flour....reg or wheat
4 Tbs. veg oil
1 cup Quaker Oats/Oatmeal
1/2 cup of either cheerios, total, corn flakes, or Special K
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup powder Esbilac
1 cup of sesame seeds
12 crushed Rodent Blocks
3 crushed Calcium 600 mg pills
1 egg

I mix all this together, and then keep adding Strawberry (you can use any flavor but chocolate) flavored Pediasure/Ensure, until it sticks together. I tear it into small pieces, and place on a cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes, or golden brown.

Sometimes instead of veg. oil, I will either add all natural peanut butter, or applesauce, just to give her a little variety, and use Vanilla Pediasure/Ensure. so as not to have too many different flavors going at once.

Baby gets a couple of these a day. :D

A little off topic, but your "scones" sound so much like the "biscuits" I make Sadie sometimes. Only I don't use the egg, rodent block, or Esbilac. And sometimes I use flax seed in the mix. I also try to switch up the flavors every now and then by making some vegetable-based ones with things like shredded carrots and zucchini, or make them fruity by adding fruits like pureed papaya and applesauce.

Frickster
11-10-2008, 12:01 AM
how are tails and the hubby doing??

heyjamai
11-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Thanks for asking! They are doing good. Now that we invested nearly $500 in a new cage my husband has finally quit pressuring me to let him go! haha

Also, I told him how upset & angry he was making me by tring to insist that Tails belonged in the wild and that he'd be "better off". (I felt like I was in the wrong for keeping him in captivity because I had to hear about it all the time.) I used what everyone else said on this board to prove to him that Tails would in fact NOT be better off outside, he wouldn't even live. After he realized that he finally quit trying to get rid of him. :)

digiandchipper
11-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Hueeay for you and Tails (and hubby!):wahoo

digiandchipper
11-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Hurray for you and Tails (and hubby!):wahoo

sadiesmom
11-10-2008, 11:14 AM
My boyfriend grew up in a petless home. The one exception was a sheltie they had for a few months when Derek wasn't even crawling yet, but his mother developed allergies and that was the end of pets in their house. So basically, when I met Derek he didn't know how to act around any animal!

It took him a LONG time to warm up to the idea of living in the same house as Sadie because she hated him so much! I swear at first, if she could have, she would have happily skinned him alive with those squirrely teeth of hers. We only argued over her one time and I flat out told him that I loved animals waaaaaaay before I loved any boy, and that if he didn't like the fact that I would always have them in my life regardless of what he wanted, he could just move back to the other end of the state! Needless to say, he was more accepting after that!

Sadie still doesn't exactly love Derek. She'll still huff and puff at him from time to time (especially if he's carryin' on a racket when she's trying to sleep!), and she always thinks he's going to steal her goodies. He's been trying hard to earn some trust from her recently, though. He's now to the point of being willing and able to feed her some yummies through the bars when she's in her cage, because while she still won't let him touch her, she has learned to be tolerable of him also and will accept his offerings without fuss. Hey, a step is a step, right?

Besides, it still thrills me to know I'm her favorite. :Love_Icon

Maybe your hubby would warm up to your baby a little more if he would be willing to start small like Derek did and spend a little time each day letting Tails get to know his voice and smell. He could soon graduate to being able to offer Tails a treat without losing a finger! Derek came around once he realized it was a two-way street, and Sadie couldn't start trying to like him until he started trying to like her!

Sciurus1
11-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Simple solution to help this on it's way, remove the cache of nuts from around the house, and her nest, that is you , not your boy friend.
the squirrel will be far more amiable with him, especially if he has a nut to give to offer her, Do not have him go near her nest, or reach in there ot pet her, it is her territory, and it will be viewed as aggression, and she likely will then attack.

lola_2012
03-20-2014, 04:51 PM
I have the same issue and need help releaseing my squirrel she is 2 yrs old and has never been outside I need help if some one is interested in taking her please let me know

BigNibbler
03-21-2014, 07:47 PM
I have the same issue and need help releaseing my squirrel she is 2 yrs old and has never been outside I need help if some one is interested in taking her please let me know

LOLA, you are responding to a thread that is six years old I think.
I just noticed it - have not been on TSB for a few weeks.
And may not be on it it for quite a while.
BUT reading the original post, I was going to respond to that alone, that the original poster was just seeking rationalizations for taking the easy path and dumping a friend! I was going to suggest that she and her husband think back on how they felt when the first got Tails. How excited and in love they were... with Tails. I might have continued that everyone knows a squirrel's life is not as valuable as a human, so what the heck. Let him go, and forget him, and you will be OK, if you can be OK, knowing that you are making a decision that is sentencing him to a terrible death and a terrified remainder to his life, where he would only be able to keep wondering where his human was, and why, and how, and when, and what happened. It sounds and feels to me like hell, and that is what is being considered, in letting him go. He will be hungry and cold and scared and all alone.

Lola, please start a new thread for your squirrel. Explain your situation and introduce your squirrel. Let us know how you feel about him, and how he feels about you. Let us know his living situation, in cage, in room, whole house, how much play time, what is play time for him, his behavior, how he interacts with humans, what animals if any are with him, and of course DIET. What does he eat each day? What and how many treats does he get daily. And how you got to be his human.

I am sure many here will try to help you with advice or more...

Charley Chuckles
03-22-2014, 09:50 AM
LOLA, you are responding to a thread that is six years old I think.
I just noticed it - have not been on TSB for a few weeks.
And may not be on it it for quite a while.
BUT reading the original post, I was going to respond to that alone, that the original poster was just seeking rationalizations for taking the easy path and dumping a friend! I was going to suggest that she and her husband think back on how they felt when the first got Tails. How excited and in love they were... with Tails. I might have continued that everyone knows a squirrel's life is not as valuable as a human, so what the heck. Let him go, and forget him, and you will be OK, if you can be OK, knowing that you are making a decision that is sentencing him to a terrible death and a terrified remainder to his life, where he would only be able to keep wondering where his human was, and why, and how, and when, and what happened. It sounds and feels to me like hell, and that is what is being considered, in letting him go. He will be hungry and cold and scared and all alone.

Lola, please start a new thread for your squirrel. Explain your situation and introduce your squirrel. Let us know how you feel about him, and how he feels about you. Let us know his living situation, in cage, in room, whole house, how much play time, what is play time for him, his behavior, how he interacts with humans, what animals if any are with him, and of course DIET. What does he eat each day? What and how many treats does he get daily. And how you got to be his human.

I am sure many here will try to help you with advice or more...

:goodpost
My Charley Chuckles was a one person squirrel, MINE and he lived 8.5 years this way and it was fine with me :grouphug I do not feel a squirrel (pet) of this age would do well out in the world either. I would think someone here would be more than happy to adopt. Adoption is a great thing, I did that with my Simon and never regretted it :thumbsup:grouphug:Love_Icon

Chickenlegs
03-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Gotta listen to good advice. Squirrels aren't disposable. If you've chosen to have a captive squirrel, it's a lifelong responsibility--literally till death do you part. Deciding he "belongs in the wild" or doesn't fit in with the new significant other is wrong. If there's a reason you can no longer share the little guy's life you need to make sure he has another good life. It takes time and perseverance on the part of you and whoever adopts your baby.

Charley
10-14-2014, 03:23 AM
I have a question. I have a pet squirrel that is almost 4 years old that I LOVE DEARLY. The problem is, he only likes me. He bites everyone but me. He will even attack people for no reason. My husband insists that I should let him go. The only reason I would even consider it is because we want to start having kids within the next few years, and my husband says we can't have a squirrel that bites around the kids. And I feel guilty not letting my squirrel be free. He has a large cage and he is well taken care of and safe in my house.

I do not want to let him go, for many reasons. Obviously I am very attached to him and I want to keep him. Mostly, I worry for his safety. He has never been outside and does not know how to survive out there. He is very used to cats and will not run from them. There are other cats outside that would not hesitate to kill him. I am afraid he might attack our neighbors and have animal control capture him thinking he is rabid. I also read that squirrels are very territorial and I don't know if other squirrels in my yard would run him off or hurt him.

Basically, I am trying to figure out if it is possible for an adult squirrel who has lived his whole life in captivity to be released and what his chances of survival would be. I do not want to risk his life. I believe he is much safer and would live longer staying with me. My husband says he would be happier being let go, even if it meant not living as long. (I disagree. I think he just wants to get rid of him because he doesn't like him.)

What do you guys think? Has anyone ever released a full-grown pet and had success? I know he would be very happy to run free but I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to him!

Hi this is Liz
OMG I just read your post about releasing an adult squirrel and it was as if you were telling my story!! My Charlotte is only close to me too. My daughter came to visit me recently and of course within the first 5 minutes she bit her finger. I sometimes wonder what she would do if anything ever happened to me. My charlotte is almost 2 and is not afraid of dogs or cats. It tears me apart when she gazes out the window I feel that I'm depriving her of her habitat and it makes me feel so guilty. She wouldnt have a clue on how to survive out doors. This is how spoiled she is at nite I wrap her up in a warm blanket fresh out of the dryer cuddle her next to me and we sleep. I would never give up my Charlotte without a guarantee that no harm would come to her and no one can guarantee that. Do you still have your Squirreler?