PDA

View Full Version : The Embarrassing Questions of Bathroom Business

sonnybosco
08-31-2008, 11:40 AM
When I help my baby squirrel tinkle, only drips of water come out never a stream. Is this normal?

Should the liquid be clear or yellow?

What is the best and most comfortable way to stimulate the baby squirrel during a bathroom break?

His poo is usually dark yellow mustard colored pellets. Normal?

How often should he poop?

foxsquirrels
08-31-2008, 12:06 PM
There is nothing too embarrassing to ask. Even if sounds silly, ask it anyway.:D We have all had to do the same thing.
Drops of pee are normal. Sometimes they will flow faster than other times. You want the urine to be clear to yellow. Anything with a brown tinge is concerning. If you use a white paper towel to let the baby urinate on it is pretty easy to see. A baby should normally pee every time is eats. (Fox squirrels tend to have more yellow looking pee than other squirrels)
Cream colored to dark yellow/mustard colored pellets are normal. When you first get a baby they may even be a brown/tan color. Little pellets are what you want to see. A baby up to about 5 weeks should potty atleast every other time you feed it. 5 weeks and older it should potty every time it is fed.
I like to use a q-tip dipped in warm water to stimulate the babies. Others like to use a cotton ball. I use a q-tip because I can see what is going on a little better. Hope this helps!:)

anneke
08-31-2008, 01:47 PM
Sounds like you are doing fine. I use a warm washcloth and get droplets rather than stream as well. What has worked for me is very gently wiping in a downward motion from just above the appropriate organ. And I continue to do this until there are no more droplet coming. The droppings sound like what I see with our babies- the next crop is just coming in and I imagine there will be several tanks of them today.

Oh, and I agree with foxsquirrels- there are no questions that you shouldn't feel comfortable asking. It's what we are here for. :)

sonnybosco
08-31-2008, 02:33 PM
When will he be able to go on his own?

foxsquirrels
08-31-2008, 03:23 PM
Every baby is a little different. Most do not need any help after their eyes have been open for a week. If you do not see that his bedding is a little wet in places stimulate him just to make sure that he is able to go. If you have any problems, let us know.:thumbsup