PDA

View Full Version : advice please

luvem
08-07-2006, 05:12 PM
my five week old squirrel who opened his eyes 4 days ago doesn't walk very well. He has begun to crawl but has very jerky movements. I didn't know if this was normal because he is learning to walk or could he possibly have nuerological damage. He took a fall from his nest about 35 ft high and his brother and sister didn't make it. Does anyone have any thoughts?

island rehabber
08-07-2006, 05:26 PM
my five week old squirrel who opened his eyes 4 days ago doesn't walk very well. He has begun to crawl but has very jerky movements. I didn't know if this was normal because he is learning to walk or could he possibly have nuerological damage. He took a fall from his nest about 35 ft high and his brother and sister didn't make it. Does anyone have any thoughts?

I would not worry yet....at 4 wks old they are not too coordinated and can't do things like sit up and hold food in their paws, etc. they do look a little shaky and spazzy at that age. Keep an eye on him....if he's still like that in two weeks i would be concerned, but watch for steady signs of improvement. When you found him was there blood in his nose or mouth? Any sign of head trauma like circling or always tipping to one side? If not, no need to worry yet. :peace

thumper
08-07-2006, 05:41 PM
I remember bumper at 5 wks. 1 eye open and just the same as yours,swaying(kinda jerkey) side to side as much as foward.I thought he might have been hurt also.he got it together fast,crawling to the door for feeding then back in and burroughing in till next feeding.enjoy the quiet between feedings,they get noticably more agile and active every few days.:smiley_pirate thumper and bumper the wonder squirrel Im workin on my spelling so save it gang!:dono

luvem
08-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Thanks I'll keep a close eye on him and keep you up to date on his progress. I don't know what I would do without you guy's!!!:thankyou

askrivanek
08-09-2006, 10:24 PM
We had a squirrel fall from a tree high in the air too. He did the same thing and we bottled fed him from 2 weeks old. Now he is over a year and a half old and is fine.