PDA

View Full Version : ahhhh Salt anyone ?

Tommyboy
08-05-2006, 07:16 PM
I saw on TV where Beavers (lrg. rodents) chew on stuff in search of salt...........do squirrells also need a salt lick ? Zippy wants to know :-)

Thanx, ~tb

Secret Squirrel
08-08-2006, 11:49 AM
I have never heard of giving salt to a squirrel as in a suppliment for proper diet. I know mine will lick my hand or arm if it's sweaty...I guess they are pretty much like us....salty is good...yummmmm!!!
I wouldn't give them a salt lick or anything like that..it's bad to give them salted nuts so I just think it's safe to say no salted addatives. :grouphug

Tommyboy
08-08-2006, 06:35 PM
Thanks.....she licks my arm too. haven't given her anything with added salt, just wanted to make sure.
~tb

Mrs. Jack
08-09-2006, 09:14 AM
I read in one of my squirrel books that sometimes they are seen licking road salt.. but I think that in captivity they are likely given such a more varied diet than in the wild, especially if they are given rodent block, that their nutrition is covered.. I'm grossly over-cautious with salt, making sure that it's not in anything I give them, the idea of a squirrel with high blood pressure with how fast their hearts beat anyway scares the bejesus out of me. I've only got wild squirrels, and motto is that I'm not so much assisting them, they'd do just fine without me, but I will definitely not bring them harm.