PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious bump?

Dan2166
08-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Hi there, my little girl (yet to find a name) has had a blister since I found her in my driveway, I'm not really sure what to do, or even what it is.
It doesn't seem to bother her in any way, but it doesn't seem like a good thing. It looks terrible, as you can see.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c190/Spot-1234/IMG_0037.jpg

Sciurus1
08-21-2008, 03:30 PM
It may be a blister, but it is very soft, it may be a puss pocket, like the photo Gammas Baby shared. Yet to put a pin in it would be bad, for it could be even a bot fly, or squirrel pox, so don't do that! As for a bot fly, on a squirrel that young, it is usually fatal if a Vet does not remove it. The best advice then I can give in this situation is to take this baby to a Vet ASAP, who knows squirrels, and will treat it, not take the baby away from you, or to find a rehabber in your area, who can do much the same. Island Rehabber, our Administrator, another member, can help you with a list of rehabbers in your area.

P.S. That is a very thin baby, and looks like it needs some help fluids wise. I am sure that some here can help you with that for now.

island rehabber
08-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Yes I'm afraid that is a severely emaciated baby squirrel. The bump is the least of her worries right now. She needs an experienced rehabber or vet to very slowly re-hydrate her without sending her system into shock, which will result in death. If you PM me with your exact location I can try to find one for you.

LynninIN
08-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Dan, your squirrel is very malnourished and dehydrated. Do you have a vet you can get to see her today? Or we can try to help find a rehabber near you. I can't stress enough that from your picture this is an emergency situation.

Dan2166
08-21-2008, 03:56 PM
I really don't know why she would be so dehydrated, She eats like a champ, 1-2 ccs every 4 hours, even during the night. I keep her in a shoebox with a plastic container of warm water under her and she has plenty of padding. I just switched over to the powder formula today. That seems to be going fine, no changes in hunger or feeding.

LynninIN
08-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Dan, I'm sorry but your little squirrel is in terrible shape. If you've looked around this board, you know that we try to help posters that want to attempt to rehab a squirrel themselves.... especially in Florida BUT you need professional help to keep this baby alive. Please let us help you.

island rehabber
08-21-2008, 04:01 PM
She should be taking far more than 1-2cc's; that is what pinky squirrels 1-10 days old will take. My advice is to get her to a rehabber immediately. She needs fluid therapy if she is going to live.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
08-21-2008, 04:32 PM
That baby is in very poor condition, she needs a expert care right now for her to make it!
She needs a heating pad and she needs iv fluids quickly.

Sciurus1
08-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Thank you all for coming on so quickly to offer counsel to our new member Doodles! I was very concerned about this little one having such a very thin appearance.

Dan2166
08-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Update: Sorry I haven't replied in a while, I think Gamma is right, the picture does look terrible. I think it's just because shes trying to curl around my finger, here's a couple more. Just to double check

A little info about my little one. For some reason, whether it be the size of her tummy or what, she will not take more than 1 1/2 cc at a feeding. No matter what. I've fought with her for a good 15 minutes trying to get her to take a little bit more, but she will not. So I've started feeding her more often, every 2 hours. Shes doing about 2cc every 4-5 hours. Whether this is normal or not I do not know. She's doing really really well it seems. Crawling climbing and all sorts. She's an adventurous little one even though her eyes have not opened yet. She seems to be developing at a normal rate, when I got her about a week ago she had hardly any hair, now her tail hair is getting bushy and grey and her eyes have developed really well.

Since the entire scare of having everybody tell me that my squirrel is going to die, I've been giving her plenty of pedialyte and diluted formula. She seems to be getting better, even though after every feeding she looks like she swallowed a marble.

Nobody really ever gave me a good answer as to what i should do about the bump. I saw pictures of botflys and it really doesnt seem like that. It is very soft and pliable, and it does not seem to hinder her movement. In fact she's a little wiggle-worm.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c190/Spot-1234/101_0989.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c190/Spot-1234/101_0988.jpg

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
08-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Dan the baby does look slightly better, she needs to eat more though.
You may think she dosent want to eat because she dosent hold her head still ect...little ones like this are not easy to care for they need a rehabber to care for them.
You said you are giving dilluted formula but you have had baby a week?
She shouldnt need it diluted now?---ok I just seen you changed formulas, how long has it been?
Inbetween formula feedings give some pedialyte.
People have not responed about the lesion because baby was looking so bad that lesion was the least of her problems.
She looks maybe 40- grams?
If thats so she needs 2-2.5 cc every 2 hours of formula, and give some pedialyte inbetween.
She also may not want to eat because she is still to dehydrated to eat.
You need to be getting up 2x a night with her.
I hope you reconsider and get baby to quality care. Do you have her on a heating pad?

Dan2166
08-22-2008, 08:23 PM
No No, Ive been doing just that. Pedialyte, Formula, Pedialyte, etc.
I just started doing the diluted formula thing yesterday and today. Tomorrow I will ease up to full strength. I don't know her weight because I dont have a scale for that.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
08-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Ok go to wallmart and get a gram scale, get a 1cc syringe..anything more and shes going to aspirate.
Is she on a heaing pad this is very important?
Baby squirrels and very expensive and very time consuming..do you have 4 months of constant care to put into her?
About alternating the Ped & Esbilac...still give the esbilac every 2 hrs and pedialyte inbetween, taking great caution not to aspirate her.

Dan2166
08-22-2008, 08:30 PM
I've ordered the heating pad, and I have a 1cc syringe

Ok so pretty much feeding her every hour?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
08-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Heating pads are available at wallmart and that is detramental that she have it now. Just as important as formula.:thumbsup
Just becareful you dont get one with automatic shut off?
Is there a store open tonight where you can get one?

Dan2166
08-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Where at in walmart what department? I've never seen them there.
DONT get one with autoshutoff

The bump feels and looks like a blister. It feels like its full of fluid, and nothing else. No hard bump, nothing inside it that I could tell. doesnt hurt her when i touch it.
my room is constantly dark and quiet.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
08-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Ask a sales person to help you find one I am assuming near the medications.
If your gonna do it..do it right so you have a healthy baby.:Love_Icon

Dan2166
08-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Of course, can't half ass it!:)

FallensMommie
08-23-2008, 07:01 AM
I'm sorry...I have to give my 2 cents here....but this little one needs to be in experienced hands of a rehabber! They are so fragile at this age and then with some issues I think handing her over to a experience rehabber is in the best interest of this squirrel.

Jackie in Tampa
08-23-2008, 07:12 AM
Dan...that is an ant/insect bite...no big deal...the important thing is a heating pad...until you can get him to rehabber. Ant bite will heal...first gotta keep sq alive. It is difficult even for a pro. Please do the right thing and ask for help. Turn this baby over to someone that can give him the proper start to life.
We appreciate you helping this little softie....:bowdown
It is a complicated mission, raising a sq from this age, and very expensive.
A heating pad is found in every drug store/dept store...near the ace bandages. No time to ORDER...he needs heat now!
I will start looking for rehabber in your area. Thanks again for helping baby and seeking info:)
:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

FallensMommie
08-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Can you update us on the baby?

How often are you feeding her? Is she getting the appropriate amount of warmth needed? Are you feeding her throughout the night....she needs to be feed around the clock...which means a couple of feedings at night. How is her poop and pee look? How does her insect bite look, I assume this is what it is.

We need a update on this little one...squirrels this age are fragile...easy to aspirate etc. Please squirrels this age are difficult and turn for the worse in a matter of hours and then help is to late...please let us know her progress.