PDA

View Full Version : new baby

luvem
08-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Hi my name kristen and I am new to this site. My husband found 3 baby squirells in our backyard, 1 was alive and he brought it in to me. I've had him for two weeks and he is doing great. He opened his eyes last night and I was so excited. Does this put him at about 5 weeks? I'm doing the puppy formula and heating pad and he's thriving. I've raised sugar gliders for years however this is my first domestic squirell. I'm wondering how long it should be before I should introduce solid food and how long I should keep him on a heating pad. I' was also wondering if anyone out there has any experiance introduing squirrells to their dogs or cats, can it be done successfully? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm so glad to have found you guy's. Thanks in advance, Kristen:thankyou

GhosTS
08-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Glad to hear that the baby is doing good.You can offer him a High quality rodent block ( like Mazuri Rodent Block ) after his eyes are open.Which means now.At first he wouldnt eat it.Then he will nimble on it when the time is right.When he is nimbling you can also give him an apple piece, or grapes.( Pealed).They love them.Heating wont be necessary after their eyes are opened.They can keep up their own heat.Check whether the baby stays warm to touch ofter the heating is off.

You CANNOT introduce squirrels to dogs and cats.They are natural enemies.Specially cats.Cats saliva containes bacteria deadly to squirrels.Even the breath can cause respiratory illness in squirrels.And death.And dogs...I wouldnt trust a dog with squirrels.Not even a very trust worthy one.There are people who keep dogs and squirrels together.But thats when you introduce both of them as babies.But even then...its a chance you shouldnt take.You would not want to risk the babies life you tried to save.

thundersquirrel
08-06-2006, 04:04 AM
i'm with ghosts, do NOT introduce that squirrel to any cat or dog. sad but true. if you don't want to put some restrictions on your cat(s) and/or dog(s), for the sake of the squirrel, it's not too late to hand your squirrel over to a rehabber.

walnuts are good for young squirrels, but i feel like it'd be too early. is he crawling around yet? i wouldn't give it grapes just yet. they could choke on the skin. for now, i'd stick with the formula, don't wean him yet. offer some apple slices, and half-pieces of walnut (any bigger than half is too big, any smaller than half he could choke on). keep us updated.

also, how sure are you of it's gender? we can help you out if you're not sure. females have little bumps that look a lot like a male baby's penis. i think that's why most squirrels are referred to as "he".