PDA

View Full Version : Lillies?

Aurora
08-16-2008, 09:20 PM
My aunt gave me a bouquet of flowers from my grandmother-in-law's memorial. It contains lillies, which have a lot of pollen and I get a huge headache having them in the house.

Since I know squirrels like eating roses, are lillies poisonous/dangerous to squirrels? Is it okay to put them outside? Do you think the squirrels will eat them?

What flowers are poisonous/dangerous to squirrels?

Thanks for your help!

wheezer
08-16-2008, 09:45 PM
I am not sure but I think they are toxic but a good rule is always "when in doubt, throw it out":D

Someone else may be able to give more info:)

TexanSquirrel
08-16-2008, 09:50 PM
:dono

Sciurus1
08-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Amaryllis are toxic, not sure of Stargazer, but likely they are too. If in doubt, throw it out, don't feed it to squirrels. By the way, they may be very attracted to the scent, but that does NOT MEAN that they are safe to feed to a squirrel, so do not go by that. I know Squirrels can be very attracted to scent, but young ones have to be taught by their mothers what is good to eat and what is not, as do squirrels raised in captivity.

Aurora
08-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the help, Sciurus! I'll tolerate the lillies until my allergies say no more and then I'll throw them out :-)

Other than roses, any other suggestions for flowers that squirrels will eat (and are good for them?)

skye
08-16-2008, 11:59 PM
YES Lillies are poison to squirrels.

Sciurus1
08-17-2008, 01:03 AM
Good posts GB and Skye. :goodpost

secretsmom
08-17-2008, 09:59 AM
The list I have, which is for sugar gliders, but which I use, shows most lilies as ok, but some like day lilies no! So unless you know the specific type of lily I wouldn't try it. Here is the link, someone posted on this board a long time ago and I refer to it frequently.

http://www.moondance-sugargliders.com/sugar_glider_plant-tree_information.htm