PDA

View Full Version : FIRE ANT BITES

Secret Squirrel
08-02-2008, 11:15 PM
I received this little guy on July 27 with several fire ant bites. 209 bites to be exact....it's amazing he is still alive. :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon
This is a photo diary of him and his progress for the next few days. He is on meds for infection and antihistamine for the allergic reaction to the ant bites. He is not out of the woods yet so keep him in your prayers. :)

I know how I feel when I get bit just ONCE on my little toe...:pissed I can't imagin 209 bites....:eek: Poor little fellow :Love_Icon
For those of you who don't live where fire ants are part of everyday life......consider yourself blessed !!!!! LOL!!!!!

This is day one in rehab.

Secret Squirrel
08-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Day 2 in rehab. You can see the changes in the bites as the toxins progress in his body. His toes are what concern me the most at this moment. I am afraid they will stick together and fuse during the healing process. I have used corn starch on his toes in an attempt to keep them dry and apart from each other.

Snipe
08-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Poor little guy, he so didn't deserve to start life out this way :shakehead

NaturesGift
08-02-2008, 11:21 PM
o my!!! this poor baby!!!! he must be so Itchy!!! I know the feeling!!! give him a kiss for me!!!!!:grouphug Ty for being his Hero!

skye
08-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Oh my how sad. The poor little darling. Many prayers for him and you. Bless you for helping this sweet baby.

Secret Squirrel
08-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Day 5 in rehab.
The bites are drying up and breaking open on their own. He is doing a good job at writhing around on the blankets in an attempt to scratch himself...all over...poor guy!!!! I bet it feels good :tilt to him.
Fire ant bites itch and hurt at the same time, so scratching them only makes them worse and spreads the toxins more into the blood stream.

He gets sponge baths daily alternating with chlorhexidine and povidone iodine followed by a good rinse at the "Day Spa" for squirrels. :D

Just a note...antihistamines dry out the bites but also dehydrate the body too. So he is getting lots of extra fluids which make the other squirrels jealous. Boy....what they won't do to get some extra attention !!!!

Secret Squirrel
08-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Thank you all for your replys....I was trying to get this posted. I am now up to date on him. I have named him Boo boo.

I'll kiss him for you naturesgift......:thankyou
I'll post more in the next few days....if anyone else has fire ant stories please feel free to share your tips and or techniques.

Thanks again :bowdown to all of you. :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

TexanSquirrel
08-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Sweet, precious baby! Best of luck with him!!!!:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Momma Squirrel
08-03-2008, 08:00 AM
OH SS what a precious baby and so lucky to have you to care for him. My heart goes out to you both and lots of prayers :grouphug I love his name, Boo boo :Love_Icon

4skwerlz
08-03-2008, 08:49 AM
As a landscaper I've had several bad attacks of fire ants, with dozens of bites.

Baking soda paste applied to the bites kills the pain and itch.

It's the ONLY thing that really works!

(I wish I had seen this thread sooner.....poor little guy.)

Secret Squirrel
08-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Thank you for all your replys and ideas....some by PM....thank you all. :thankyou
Day 6 in rehab
I am sorry to say that Boo Boo passed away at 9:30 this morning. He had internal injuries in conjunction with the fire ant bites. DOUBLE whammy on this little soul. Rest in peace little guy....:Love_Icon

Pam
08-03-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Boo boo. :grouphug I'm so glad that he had you to comfort him during his short life.

muffinsquirrel
08-03-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm so sorry.

muffinsquirrel

Mars
08-03-2008, 01:25 PM
:sad

Snipe
08-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Rest in Peace Little One

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/User_Name/pray_smiley.gif

FLUFFYTAILNUT
08-03-2008, 03:39 PM
OH..IM SOOOO..sorry to hear about Boo-Boo...
I feel in love right away!!
Heart felt sorry's I didn't get in here sooner..:grouphug :sorry:grouphug
Rachel :grouphug :grouphug n Bean:grouphug :grouphug

FallensMommie
08-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Oh I'm sooooo sorry! RIP Sweet BOO BOO :sad

JLM27
08-03-2008, 08:57 PM
I feel so sad about Boo Boo. Thank you for loving him and caring for him, the poor little guy. You gave him the only chance he had.

Jackie in Tampa
08-03-2008, 09:01 PM
:sad

Kathy56
08-03-2008, 10:01 PM
So sorry that Boo Boo did not make it. He was in great hands and he was loved. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

skye
08-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Oh no I am so very sorry the poor little darling. He knew what love was thanks for trying to help him. God Bless

Isis
08-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Secret Squirrel... *crys* poor little sweet baby boo boo... my heart aches so hard for the pain he had to suffer... you did the best you could to ease his journey :Love_Icon

TexanSquirrel
08-04-2008, 12:30 AM
I'm so sorry. He was such a precious little guy.:grouphug

Apple Corps
08-04-2008, 12:54 AM
As we all know - life is just not fair for so many - so difficult to know what he went through :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Momma Squirrel
08-04-2008, 08:30 AM
I am so sorry about Boo boo, he did know at the end someone truly loved him and was trying to help. RIP Boo boo :grouphug :Love_Icon

vickyjhnsn
10-04-2011, 12:31 AM
thank you for posting this and my heart breaks for boo boo. You just helped me diagnose little bumps on my baby. My mind is at ease. He only has a few. Thank God. Your poor baby. Just wanted to let you know that this put my mind at ease and I'm grateful I can now go to bed and know what my little baby has on his stomach and leg. I'm just so sorry your little guy did not make it.