PDA

View Full Version : nuts

SUNSHINE
08-02-2008, 10:11 AM
hi there i have a question concerning walnut, hazelnuts that have been picked and brought in how long can you keep them ? is there a point were there not good anymoe? i have some that are going on 2 years old there nice and hard they wont make them sick will they? they can have any wild nuts cant they? our favorite is the walnut just want to make sure all the different kinds are ok and one last thing when there still green are they safe? sorry all the questions but as much as they love nuts you want to be safe thank you so much for any input

skye
08-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Here a hint you can keep your nuts in the freezer that way always stay fresh:D

Jackie in Tampa
08-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Crack them open. A walnut will get rancid faster than hazelnut/filberts. You'll know if they are rotten...they shrivel up after real long time! ...and get really bitter! Hope that helps:dono I would imagine they are old.
Good Luck:)

muffinsquirrel
08-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Just put them out for the squirrels and let them decide. Believe me, they will know whether or not the nuts are good, and won't have to crack a single one to tell! It's funny to watch them - some of them will pick up the nut and take it a few feet away and just put it down, like they were telling you that 'these are the bad ones - please dispose of them for me'. And if you put a handful out, they will go through them and pick out the good ones, and just leave the rest of them sitting there.

muffinsquirrel

Snipe
08-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Yep, I'm with muffinsquirrel, I just put them out and if they roll them around in their paws then immediately drop them and give Snipe a dirty look, that translates into I had better be heading too the store if I know whats good for me :poke

Sciurus1
08-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Yes, they are the best nut inspectors on the Planet! I recall Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, all those cute gray squirrels working hard at what they do best! :crazy

squiren
08-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Squirrels use their keen sense of smell to locate buried nuts and can dig extensive holes in the process. Birds, especially crows, will watch a squirrel bury a nut and will dig it up as soon as the squirrel leaves.
--------------------------
squiren
social media marketing (http://www.inspire-itsolutions.com)