PDA

View Full Version : Help with Douglas' squirrel, please

kaymidwife
07-31-2006, 01:37 PM
I posted this in another forum-- maybe this one is better suited, though.

Anyone have any experience with infant Douglas' Squirrels? One of my cats brought me a female, who after a week of antibiotics seems to be doing fine. Near as I can tell, she was just turning four weeks old when she fell from the nest since her eyes opened two days later (out of nest long enough to have fly eggs in wounds, and no pick-up by mother). The local rehab place (that deals mostly in raptors and large mammals) told me I should have let the cat finish the job, so no help there.

She's taking puppy milk with cream added, as she didn't gain weight at first. Now she's up to 55 grams (from 45 on day 2) and running all over the place for about 5 minutes at a time, until she falls over asleep.

The only detailed info I can find on the internet is about Grey & Fox squirrels, who seem to stay with mother longer and grow quite a bit bigger, so I can't really use their aging estimates, and they don't give weight gain estimates.

Anybody with any insights? And how easy/hard are they to return to the wild?

:thankyou
Kay

clk
09-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Hi, I wondered if you had any responses to your questions? I don't have any answers but I also just had a baby Doug Fir squirrel "land" in our laps here in Oregon. He is soooo cute....but I want to make sure he makes it. Thanks!