PDA

View Full Version : Help with Douglas' Squirrel

kaymidwife
07-31-2006, 09:00 AM
Anyone have any experience with infant Douglas' Squirrels? One of my cats brought me a female, who after a week of antibiotics seems to be doing fine. Near as I can tell, she was just turning four weeks old when she fell from the nest since her eyes opened two days later (out of nest long enough to have fly eggs in wounds, and no pick-up by mother). The local rehab place (that deals mostly in raptors and large mammals) told me I should have let the cat finish the job, so no help there.

She's taking puppy milk with cream added, as she didn't gain weight at first. Now she's up to 55 grams (from 45 on day 2) and running all over the place for about 5 minutes at a time, until she falls over asleep.

The only detailed info I can find on the internet is about Grey & Fox squirrels, who seem to stay with mother longer and grow quite a bit bigger, so I can't really use their aging estimates, and they don't give weight gain estimates.

Anybody with any insights? And how easy/hard are they to return to the wild?
:thankyou
Kay

Secret Squirrel
07-31-2006, 08:58 PM
:Welcome kaymidwife!

I was looking at the internet and found nothing substancial about raising Douglas squirrels. Go to www.squirrelsandmore.com (http://www.squirrelsandmore.com) and you can ask Chris in an email or call her toll free number. She is really awesome with squirrels and more....sorry I just couldn't help it!!!:crazy I bet she has all your answers. Good luck!

kaymidwife
07-31-2006, 09:35 PM
Thanks for your help. I did find Chris today and she gave me some tips on how to care for this little one. You're right. There's nothing much on the internet about them. They seem to most closely resemble the eastern red squirrel. Here's one link I found: http://www.stanleyparkecology.ca/programs/urbanWildlife/conflicts/squirrelsAttic.php-- it's a site from BC, where Douglas' squirrels are also common.
kay

latemerarialugo
05-10-2015, 11:32 AM
I have raised amale Douglas squirrel that my cat brought me uninjured thankfully 9months ago. The rehab place was full so I bottle fed him and raised him but after a few months he turned quite aggressive and I was planning on releasing the little guy but he has no fear of humans and will attack any that he encounters. I'm afraid he would attack a child and I also fear for his life. I love my little guy and want the best for him but I need advice on what to do. Everyone says to just let him go in the backyard but its not that simple. There are kids and cats everywhere and he has no fear of cats either. Any advice? Im willing to raise him ifnhe cant be released but id rather he have his freedom and be free to mate and live in the wild. I honestly just want the best for him. :(

Bravo
05-10-2015, 12:59 PM
Thanks for your help. I did find Chris today and she gave me some tips on how to care for this little one. You're right. There's nothing much on the internet about them. They seem to most closely resemble the eastern red squirrel. Here's one link I found: http://www.stanleyparkecology.ca/programs/urbanWildlife/conflicts/squirrelsAttic.php-- it's a site from BC, where Douglas' squirrels are also common.
kay

Welcome K... you're ahead of me, I was going to suggest that Douglasers are similar to reds, just come with different paint jobs. :grin3 I'm about 10 minutes walk from Stanley Park, which is thick with Douglas fuzzbutts. If you get anywhere near they'll cuss you out, loud and long- the trick is to actually see one.

There's more experience around here with reds.

latemerarialugo - A suggestion for your little one is a soft release, an outside cage that he can safely return to after exploring an adjacent forested area. Is that possible where you are?

JellyX
05-10-2015, 01:05 PM
What kind of rehabber suggests you should have let the cat kill her???? sheesh!

Cleo_13
05-10-2015, 01:42 PM
This is a nine year old thread :grin2

JellyX
05-10-2015, 02:16 PM

Oops lol sorry. I'm new to The Squirrel Board :-)

Bravo
05-10-2015, 02:33 PM
Sakes. Got me, too. :tap :rolf

stepnstone
05-10-2015, 11:43 PM

Sakes. Got me, too. :tap :rolf

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/angry/punishment-slap-smiley-emoticon.gif......http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/yellow-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

LaurelLynn
05-11-2015, 12:21 AM
I noticed this is an old thread but if you need help releasing a Douglas, I'm in Washington and have acres of old growth forest filled with Douglas squirrels and prerelease facility :-)

LaurelLynn
05-11-2015, 12:25 AM
I have raised amale Douglas squirrel that my cat brought me uninjured thankfully 9months ago. The rehab place was full so I bottle fed him and raised him but after a few months he turned quite aggressive and I was planning on releasing the little guy but he has no fear of humans and will attack any that he encounters. I'm afraid he would attack a child and I also fear for his life. I love my little guy and want the best for him but I need advice on what to do. Everyone says to just let him go in the backyard but its not that simple. There are kids and cats everywhere and he has no fear of cats either. Any advice? Im willing to raise him ifnhe cant be released but id rather he have his freedom and be free to mate and live in the wild. I honestly just want the best for him. :(

I should clarify my offer was to today's post by this member, not the old ones lol

island rehabber
05-11-2015, 07:20 AM
latemerarialugo does still need help, even though they hitchhiked onto this old thread. :grin2 LaurelLynn looks like a good option for you -- you both should talk! :thumbsup

LaurelLynn
05-11-2015, 12:50 PM
latemerarialugo does still need help, even though they hitchhiked onto this old thread. :grin2 LaurelLynn looks like a good option for you -- you both should talk! :thumbsup

I sent them a pm with my number :-) it's perfect here with being secluded and already having a healthy Douglas population. I don't think they are as successful in urban areas like greys, they like the big old trees