PDA

View Full Version : alfalfa

LynninIN
07-14-2008, 07:11 AM
:thinking The question of alfalfa came up in Chiquita's thread. If it's unhealthy for rodents then why do they put it in some rodent blocks? :dono

I'm not questioning your research 4S. I'm questioning the makers of the blocks that say their formulation is healthy, if there is evidence otherwise.

Jackie in Tampa
07-14-2008, 07:33 AM
I have heard exact opposite...that alfalfa is good:dono

squirrel princess
07-14-2008, 07:43 AM
:dono I thought it was bad :thinking hopefully 4s can set us straight :thumbsup I have been wanting to get Chipper one of those eatible houses but it has the alfalfa hay I know that when I had bunnies it was the most important part of their diet....

Mars
07-14-2008, 07:55 AM
The compressed alfalfa blocks can be dangerous as they tend to expland in the stomach and have been known to cause ruptures. They still sell them because people buy them. Alfalfa by itself has pros and cons just like everything else. If I have more time this evening I will look some stuff up that may be of interest here. :)

FallensMommie
07-14-2008, 08:00 AM
I don't know as studies say the antithesis of each other :shakehead

From this it says good for rodents under the title: Myth – Rats cannot digest alfalfa : http://www.onestaorganics.com/cgi-bin/DisplayPage.pl?PageID=Heidis+Corner

It's one of those that you just have to digest information and choose what you believe is correct.

FallensMommie
07-14-2008, 08:02 AM
The compressed alfalfa blocks can be dangerous as they tend to expland in the stomach and have been known to cause ruptures. They still sell them because people buy them. Alfalfa by itself has pros and cons just like everything else. If I have more time this evening I will look some stuff up that may be of interest here. :)

Fallen won't eat the rodent blocks so I have to presoak them in his esbilac formula and they do expand...they expand so much I have to add more formula as it soaks it up and expands even more! 6 rodent blocks in some liquid equals quite a bit once expanded.

4skwerlz
07-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Sorry I can't give you any definite answer on this. A few thoughts:

The idea that rats can't digest alfalfa appears to be a myth.

Alfalfa contains a lot of protein and too much protein is associated with disease in rats. It also contains more phytoestrogens than almost any other food. Phytoestrogens are associated with certain cancers and lupus, and can aggravate other diseases as well. For these and other reasons, Harlan Teklad has eliminated alfalfa from their rodent blocks, and has reduced phytoestrogen content as much as possible.

I think the bottom line is that alfalfa is a food that has powerful effects on the body, and some of those effects could be unhealthy. I always ask myself how much of this food a wild squirrel would be likely to eat. In the case of alfalfa, probably little or none.

Below is a pic of a field of alfalfa.

Jackie in Tampa
07-14-2008, 11:07 AM
I have a three year old nuetered male rabbit...easiest pet ever, awesomely friendly, clean, good natured, healthy, Snickerdoodles...just perfect...has from day one, eaten OxBow products that I buy from vets office, always fresh and good supply etc they are dated.
point being, quaility controlled product. In the past I called them long distance, spoke to someone:dono and they explained that they had researchers studying small animal diet always, paid research people. I was only interested in rabbit info at that time, but maybe they can add info...they hate large companys like Hartz, they did not say Hartz...I did..., that say they do research...but according to someone at OxBow, they are not pesticide free, etc...not marketing the healthiest that can be...OxBow say they DO, are you following...natural, organic, balanced
Please someone contact OxBow, maybe even online...these people are maybe nutritionists that ???? I don't know, they study small animal diet...???!
just a thought...

i

TexanSquirrel
07-14-2008, 11:19 AM
:dono :dono :dono

SUNSHINE
08-14-2008, 12:21 PM
is fresh rosemary good for squirrels?