PDA

View Full Version : What's the matter with figs? Oranges?

Sciurus1
07-09-2008, 11:02 PM
I read recently that figs are on the list of not to give to Squirrels. Why is that I wonder, since squirrels love to eat them in the wild when they find them? We have fig trees in our area, and every year as soon as they are ripe they are gone, taken by the squirrels! The squirrel we raised loved them as well, but only had them of course in season, and then just a small piece. I thought they were a food that is high in calcium? Can anyone tell me why this natural fruit in moderation is considered not good for squirrels then?

Many years back I was told by a rehabber, not to feed squirrels oranges. I can see not to feed them ONLY oranges, or any fruit for that matter, but not at all? This again makes no sense, for in moderation they love them, and it helps with calcium uptake too!

Any thoughts on these two?

Jackie in Tampa
07-10-2008, 06:31 AM
Good morning S1..I feed my sqs oranges from my backyard everyday when in season and have for years...Rocky gets mad without his orange, my trees are bare so I buy 3 per weeik to split between the 5 I have inside now!
Figs, expensive and another hit...when I can afford them! I can't imagine the "why nots" makes no sense to me.?!:dono

island rehabber
07-10-2008, 06:55 AM
I can't imagine what the problem would be with these two fruits, either....I know that citrus fruits will help a squirrel absorb calcium, so why not? And figs -- the only time I ever saw a squirrel in Europe was in a fig tree, munching away. :dono
Sometimes I think these "warnings" are based on junk science, as John Stossel would call it. :D

4skwerlz
07-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Oranges are on the list of recommended fruits in the "Healthy Diet."

Dried figs and dried fruits in general are on the "avoid" list because they have the same glycemic load as candy. Raw figs, like those still on a fig tree, are okay.

Sciurus1
07-20-2008, 07:01 PM
I agree, just nto sure then WHY they are on the list of foods not to give to squirrels then? :dono I think that the list for foods should be edited to fix that mistake.

TinyPaws
07-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Timothy loves oranges...never tried figs...haven't seen them fresh here...

FallensMommie
07-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Fallen loves both. Figs are ready now in Florida and the squirrels are raiding the trees :rotfl

I have a immature fig tree growing, but planted it last year as I like the look of them and for the squirrels to have something to eat...I dont' like figs so solely for the squirrels :D ....well me to as I like the branching effects!

4skwerlz
07-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Dried fruits are similar to candy in terms of sugar content and glycemic load. This isn't junk science, but a simple fact. Below is a link to a table with the sugar content of fresh fruit, dried fruit, and candy, for comparison. It also breaks down which type of sugar: sucrose, glucose, fructose, maltose, galactose, etc.

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutritional_tools/fruits_table.html

Fresh fruits, including fresh figs, are still somewhat high in sugars, especially fructose, but not nearly as high as dried fruits.

Sciurus1
07-22-2008, 03:04 AM
I agree, no dried fruit! Considering that fresh figs are not available save for a short period once a year, which is of course just as the wilds encounter them, I don't see how giving them a few small pieces, during the time they are in season can hurt them, since the wilds just chow down on them here in California. It is, after all, not just this one fruit they are fed, but a balanced diet of greens, and other vegetables with fruits being less of their overall diet given in moderation. And though this food is higher in sugar, they are not humans, but squirrels, which need some sugar for muscle fuel. The only exception to deny them fresh fruit would be if a squirrel had a medical condition precluding feeding them fruit.

Apple Corps
07-22-2008, 07:04 PM
We have half eaten figs all over our yard - Fig Time in California. Would you believe we live in what was an old fig orchard - they spring up everywhere.

We see our outdoor crew running down the fence line with big green fruits in their mouths :jump :jump

4skwerlz
07-22-2008, 07:54 PM
I believe in the end that fruit is okay as a treat for our squirrels.

Certainly wild squirrels will eat fruit off the trees in season; however, there are some important differences between the wild and captive scenarios:

-Wild fruit is typically eaten before it is completely ripe.

-Wild fruit is eaten only in season--a few days or weeks per year--not every day.

-Wild varieties of fruit are smaller and less sweet than our cultivated varieties.

-Wild squirrels can handle sugars a lot better than captives because their activity level is much, much higher.

Personally, I plan to consider fruit as a "treat" for H&H from now on, instead of a daily thing like before. I'm glad Prof. Calvert raised the issue; now everyone can decide for themselves what makes the most sense.

tatcat
07-22-2008, 09:02 PM
yes i too have cut back on the fruits...i have a muscadine vine on my fence in my back yard and will every couple of days go pick a berry or two...tweakerz :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon them...i agree with 4s...dont wanna overdose him in sugar since he is inside...

Apple Corps
07-22-2008, 09:59 PM
4S has a point about the activity level - our crew will come down a 50' tree, run 30' for a treat, go up 15' or so to snack - have a mini squabble on the way, and be back for more before I can sit down again :alright.gif :alright.gif

Sciurus1
07-23-2008, 12:41 AM
You have the large oaks, Sycamores, and pine trees where you are too? Competition is exhausting for the squirrels in summer months, when the temperature hangs often in the 90's, but will often reach up into the triple digits! The squirrels here find a piece of fruit refreshing, not just for the sugar content alone, but it helps! I think that is why oranges that grow nearly year round, seem to be a favorite of our Fox Squirrels here. Figs and other fruits are much favored, when they come into season. Fruit trees to them are like an oasis in a desert, which much of Southern California actually is. For that reason, the Eastern Fox Squirrels here have come to rely on the same fruit trees that were being cultivated here, when they first arrived a hundred years ago. One thing for sure, they simply don't pass on a bonanza of fruit or nuts should it present itself! :crazy :crazy :crazy

Sciurus1
07-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks for sharing 4S, this information is good to know! :thumbsup