PDA

View Full Version : Frick's puffy

Frickster
06-30-2008, 01:22 AM
Hi everyone! I just got online looking for information on my little guy and came across your site. How nice to know there are so many of you out there helping each other. Hopefully someone can assist me. I have a little one who's about 4 months old. He's been AMAZINGLY happy and healthy the whole time. Hurt his foot a couple weeks ago but with a little TLC is as good as new. He's been outside for a couple days with us checking on him. He has kept coming back to check in and has seemed really good. Today when I found him though, he looked a little funny. Once we came in the house I noticed he was all puffy. His little body appears to be all swollen and I'm not sure why. He is eating and drinking like always and can still walk and climb. Anyone have any ideas? I've had him since he was about a month old so I definitely want to help him. He's the sweetest little thing in the world. Haven't had a lot of luck when checking into rehabbers and at this point would hate to take him from "his" yard and forest and trees. Again, I appreciate any help you guys can give. THANKS!!!!

TinyPaws
06-30-2008, 01:52 AM
could he have been stung and is showing an allergic reaction? Check his body for anything that is not suppose to be there....Someone with more knowledge will assist you...and :Welcome to TSB...

island rehabber
06-30-2008, 07:22 AM
:WelcomeFrickster!
By 'puffy', is this an all-over condition, incuding legs & paws, or just his tummy, chest, etc? If you think it is an allergic reaction -- all over puffiness -- I can help you with a very small dose of Benadryl which is safe if dosed correctly. Otherwise, is it possible that his fur his fluffed out, or he's just fatter than you remember? We always want to look for the most obvious before we start giving meds, etc.....

Frickster
06-30-2008, 10:00 AM
It was his whole body and especially his face. He's only been outside for a couple days so he hasn't been gone long. He does have a sore on his little cheek where it looks like something might have stung him, but I put some cortisone on it and it's looking a little better. His body does not appear to be as puffy as it was last night and he was a little adventurous today. It's mostly noticeable in his face, especially on his left side. I will take a picture and try to post it. The irritation from the sore could be leading to the puffiness I just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this. He's still eating and drinking as normal and his face does appear to have gone down a bit overnight.

Frickster
06-30-2008, 10:15 AM
He is napping, so once he's up again I'll take his picture. He doesn't seem to be in pain, except his little sore. He was doing great so I'm hoping he just needs some recovery time. He voluntarily got on my arm and came in with me and he's been pretty good about knowing when he needs to take a break. I am also a worrier and unfortunately his twin brother didn't make it so I'm especially fanatical about him. I wish I had known of this website earlier, I might have been able to help Frack. I just can't tell all of you how much I appreciate you all sharing your guidance and experiences. I had NO idea how many people there were like me out there. I'll keep checking back and try to get those pics up once the sleeping beauty awakes. :)

island rehabber
06-30-2008, 10:45 AM
It sounds as if he was stung by a wasp or bee....so long as the swelling is going down I wouldn't give him anything. If he doesn't get better, though, let's try the benadryl. :)

Jackie in Tampa
06-30-2008, 10:49 AM
:Welcome sorry to hear your little guy is not feeling good.
:grouphug Good Luck

TexanSquirrel
06-30-2008, 11:11 AM
:Welcome Good luck!

Frickster
06-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Ok...I just got him up to get up for a few minutes, but he's still not ready to wake up much. He did let me get a couple pictures and put some more ointment on his little face. These pictures don't really help much but maybe you guys can tell. It breaks my heart to see him not feeling well, he's such a sweet baby...and a tough little cookie. When I got him yesterday, a not so friendly squirrel had chased him down a tree and he's hurt his leg/foot a little. It doesn't appear to be broken though, and he's still using it, just a little slow. He definitely seems to recognize that he needs to take it easy for a bit, and is content to lounge around and get his little underarm/chin scratch...he's just precious!

So as I finished this message, I went to attach the photos and being the compuertly illiterate one that I am...I'm not sure how...anyone know how to explain it? THANKS AGAIN!

Mars
06-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Photo how to is here

http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30

Hope this helps.:)

Frickster
06-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Where is the advanced option at? i don't see the screen like the one in the photo. i'm so sorry but i definitely appreciate your help!

Frickster
06-30-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm looking, but I don't have the "manage attachments" option. In fact, it has checks next to you may post new threads and you may post replies and then says i may not edit my posts and i may not post attachments. :( any idea why this would be? ON a brighter note, Frick has been up again and definitely his curious self. His face seems to have gone down a little more too! His leg is still bothering him, but not stopping him. This little guy is going to send me to an early grave. :)

Apple Corps
06-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Scroll down outside of the reply box (the area you are typing in).

Frickster
06-30-2008, 07:09 PM
I did...I only have the automatically parse links and the disable smilies options. Under that, where your's shows the manage attachments, mine just has thread subscription notification type and then goes in to the viewing of all the replies so far. Any idea what's wrong? Thankyou all for your help!

Apple Corps
06-30-2008, 07:41 PM
A wild guess here: go to the top of the page and click on User CP, then select Edit Options from the menu on the left side and then go to the bottom and under the Message Editor Interface selest the WYSIWYG advance option.

What operating system (Windows or Mac) & version are you using? Also - what browser / version are you using?

Frickster
06-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Ok, I did that, but nothing changed. This is making me feel SO dumb! Do I have to have an administrator authorize my posting images? I am happy to say that Frick is sitting here with me fascinated by the computer screen and the keys. I so want to be able to share photos of this precious little guy.

island rehabber
06-30-2008, 10:17 PM
(administrator takes out huge dusty volume from shelf, seeks instructions on the Spell for Enabling Newbies to Post Pix......).......BRB......

island rehabber
06-30-2008, 10:21 PM
ok Frickster, see if you can post pix now. :)

Apple Corps
06-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Frickster - click on my name and use my email address and email me the picture - I'll post it for you.

tatcat
06-30-2008, 11:15 PM
:wave123 frickster :Welcome to tsb.:jump

Apple Corps
06-30-2008, 11:45 PM
It would have helped if I had my email option active :shakehead :shakehead

Now active - you can now email me the pics.

Frickster
07-01-2008, 12:07 AM
lol...thanks, i appreciate it.

Momma Squirrel
07-01-2008, 08:41 AM
OK you are good to go for posting pictures. Squerly sent you a PM but just in case you didn't get it you are good to go :thumbsup

Frickster
07-01-2008, 11:37 AM
YAY!! Thanks so much! I didn't get a pm...or at least I don't know that I did. Thank you ALL for your help though.

It shows the sore area and was supposed to show his puffy/swollen face. It's not as noticeable though. It had gone down even more as of last night. Now that I can post pics, I can't wait to send some of the really cute ones. Especially him and Frack together. YAY!

Frickster
07-01-2008, 11:43 AM
how did you make it smaller?

Apple Corps
07-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Frickster - is there a spot on his left side cheek - just behind his whiskers??

Frickster
07-01-2008, 11:37 PM
yes, that's the sore i was referring to next to the major part of the puffiness. both are looking much better though. his face is almost back to normal and the sore seems to be healing. i've been putting ointment on it religiously. he's not a big fan of it, but he doesn't wipe it off so it's doing it's job. it looks like some of the hair has grown in it already and it's not nearly as raw looking. his main thing now seems to be his little foot or leg getting better. i would do anything to be able to take him to a vet, but vets in va won't see them. i keep reading about all these other people getting in touch with vets...how do they do it? most states won't allow squirrels so how does everyone find squirrel friendly vets.

Apple Corps
07-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Frickster - PM me with your location - I have generally had good results getting vets to look at fuzzers - even in "illegal" states.

BTW - I'v spent many years of my life in Virginia (Alexandria, Virginia Beach and west of the Roanoke area.

Apple Corps
07-01-2008, 11:53 PM
ir - what magic did you do to fix the pic posting issue?

Sarabi
07-02-2008, 08:48 AM
:Welcome Frickster, So glad you found us Nuts:D

Apple Corps
07-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Frickster - got your PM and responded - go to the upper right hand part of your window and click on the blue Private Messages to read my response.

AC

Frickster
07-02-2008, 11:36 AM
I just sent a message, a LONG message and the website glitched...so I'm going to retype it, but here's the picture I'll be talking about...

Frickster
07-02-2008, 12:23 PM
In light of everyone's efforts - I have to share my favorite pic of the little baby. My little koala bear hehe....