PDA

View Full Version : Please help. First timer!

Danica R
06-24-2008, 06:03 PM
I recently found an orphaned baby eastern grey squirrel that is about 5 weeks old, and my big heart decided to take him in. I've been reading almost every thread posted on this forum about nutrition, any "bugs" we'll say, and what to do to keep them healthy. This is my very first squirrel, and I am sad to say it is Illegal in the state of Oregon to keep one as a pet, but yet you can hunt them all year round, however many you'd like. (What the hell?) So I do plan on releasing him when he gets a bit older.

I've named him Rocco for now, and I've set up a 10 gallon aquarium for him. I've done the whole heating pad thing, a stuffed animal for him to cuddle up to at night, etc.

Now, this morning I woke up to feed him, and I see very small dark redish bugs on him. I've had a snake before and the bugs looked the same so I figured they were Mites.. Well I came to the forum and read up on them, and learned that they weren't Mites, they had to be Fleas. ( or Flees, hehe ) So, as prescribed by some on the forum, I went and bought some of the spray to kill the flea's, flea eggs, lice, and lice eggs. ( There were NO lice on Rocco by the way )

I've washed everything in Roccos cage seprately, then washed him with it. I put a little bit on my fingers and gently massaged him with it. I do believe that it did kill the Fleas, because they stopped moving around. I'm just hoping its not deceiving my eyes, and they are still alive. (please excuse spelling)

All in all, I'm very worried about Rocco with his Flea infestation, and what to do if it continues. I don't believe I can take him to any vets around here, and the Rehab center closest to here just had a Litter(?) of squirrels, and can't take him in right now. Any info would be extremely appriciated. Thank you sooo much.

GoldenEyes
06-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Danica R,
Welcome to TSB. Please post this message in the Non Life Threatening Help Needed section.

4skwerlz
06-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Squirrels can get mites--they are dark red and very small. They can also have fleas. Your treatment should get rid of both.

Very important: What kind of flea spray did you use?

Danica R
06-24-2008, 06:17 PM
I reposted this thread in the correct section, if a Moderator could possibly delete this one, I'd appriciate it. Thanks so much again.

TexanSquirrel
06-24-2008, 06:21 PM
:Welcome Best of luck with the little one!