PDA

View Full Version : Sawdust and woodchips safe for bedding?

molly
06-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Whoa...it's so late, but I wanted to get this question in. Hopefully, someone will answer by morning.
I've heard that possibly cedar and pine may not be safe for the animals to have as bedding. (the oils in the wood) Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I figured if anyone would know...the people on here would. :)

I noticed, while reading Tomo's thread... they use something on the floor of their cages....and her squirrels thrive, but I don't know what it is.

I'm moving the squirrels to a bigger cage tomorrow..(it's about 5 feet tall) and I wanted to use it for bedding on the bottom.
Thanks much!

TinyPaws
06-06-2008, 12:20 AM
Hello and :Welcome to tsb.....I am not sure of the cedar but I'd stay away from it....as for the pine, it is a killer.....Do not use it....and sawdust is not good as it can cause breathing problems.....Aspen bedding is recommended....or carefresh.....If they will not be able to walk on it than using newspaper is also a suggestion......

There will be answers coming re: cedar.....but to be safe I wouldn't use it unless I was sure it is safe....I hope this helps some....

Momma Squirrel
06-06-2008, 06:46 AM
I know from a very bad experience when my son was young and had a gerbil that those woodchips got caught in his throat and no one was home, well you know the rest of the story.

The link GB gave you looks like a great solution :thumbsup

TinyPaws
06-06-2008, 06:38 PM
That stuff is excellent......

TexanSquirrel
06-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Never heard anything good about woodchips or sawdust as bedding....

TinyPaws
06-06-2008, 10:39 PM
I meant the cell sorb is an excellent product.....I would never recommend sawdust or wood chips....though some people do use the aspen bedding, it's wood but not wood chips and causes no alergies....

Tomo
06-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Whoa...it's so late, but I wanted to get this question in. Hopefully, someone will answer by morning.
I've heard that possibly cedar and pine may not be safe for the animals to have as bedding. (the oils in the wood) Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I figured if anyone would know...the people on here would. :)

I noticed, while reading Tomo's thread... they use something on the floor of their cages....and her squirrels thrive, but I don't know what it is.

I'm moving the squirrels to a bigger cage tomorrow..(it's about 5 feet tall) and I wanted to use it for bedding on the bottom.
Thanks much!

Hi Molly,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I just found this thread.

Outside only, I use sawdust/small wood shavings. It's called Top Bedding from the nursery I purchase if from and it comes in large bails. This is aromatic and will not bother the babies outside with plenty of fresh air.

Indoors, I use Timothy Hay, and sometimes Aspen bedding (which has no aromatic oils to damage their sense of smell or cause allergies).

Aspen bedding can be messy, but soft where as hay is less messy, but a bit stiffer for them.

However, either works well.

There is also Carefresh, but I don't like it as much and neither do the squirrels.

Hope this helps! :)

Tomo
06-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Never heard anything good about woodchips or sawdust as bedding....

Sawdust/wood chips work well in cold weather outside; it doesn't freeze. And it gets pretty cold up here on Tomo Mountain! :D

Tomo
06-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Hello and :Welcome to tsb.....I am not sure of the cedar but I'd stay away from it....as for the pine, it is a killer.....Do not use it....and sawdust is not good as it can cause breathing problems.....Aspen bedding is recommended....or carefresh.....If they will not be able to walk on it than using newspaper is also a suggestion......

There will be answers coming re: cedar.....but to be safe I wouldn't use it unless I was sure it is safe....I hope this helps some....

Like in dogs, ceder kills the sense of smell.

TinyPaws
06-06-2008, 10:58 PM
another suggestion if you need to save on money is to use shredded newspaper......and there is also a litter called Yesterday's News....I use that for my ferrets.....
Like in dogs, ceder kills the sense of smell.

Tomo
06-06-2008, 11:06 PM
I read an article that if you use newspaper, never use the parts of the paper with color ads or color of any kind. I do use plain newsprint paper under the hay. It helps with clean up.

Also, I use Yesterday's News for my bunny and he likes it, but squirrels aren't fond of it. They don't like to roll and play in it because they loose their footing too easily.

molly
06-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks so much to Gamma, TinyPaws, Momma Squirrel, TexanSquirrel for all your advice! :thankyou

I'm going to Pet Smart this afternoon.
I'm glad you all told me about the wood chips. I'll go with something safer for the girls.
I cannot release them in my yard......I feel my neighbors are still trapping the squirrels. I also feel they're still to young for release, so I have a few weeks to work this out. So, until I figure out what I'm going to do, I'm moving them to a larger cage. My son got this china cabinet thingy. Took the glass out and replaced it with the wire. Today he's putting in the shelves, and I'm going to Pet Smart to buy the bedding.

Now they'll have a place to climb. I also got a big nesting box off ebay, and I'm putting that in there. They shy one (Huny) always tries to hide whenever someone comes into the room except me. This way, she'll feel safer.

Whew! It's 95 today. Hey...whatever happened to spring??? We only have summer and winter here now. :dono

Is anyone else having problems posting? I'm logged in, but when I try to submit the post, it says I'm not, and then it says the website is not responding. :thinking

molly
06-07-2008, 10:33 AM
I read an article that if you use newspaper, never use the parts of the paper with color ads or color of any kind. I do use plain newsprint paper under the hay. It helps with clean up.

Also, I use Yesterday's News for my bunny and he likes it, but squirrels aren't fond of it. They don't like to roll and play in it because they loose their footing too easily.

Thanks Tomo!! :thankyou
I really appreciate your help.
If you come back to read this......may I ask you something? Do you take squirrels for soft release, or just raise the babies for release? I wish I could find a place that did that around here. You say you're near Santa Claus. Where IS that anyway? I know it's not the North Pole! <laughing>

I visited your web site, and I think you're amazing! :wahoo
Those squirrels are so beautiful and healthy and FAT! Gorgeous! I envy you, being able to do this. How satisfying your life must be.
Bless you~

Tomo
06-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks Tomo!! :thankyou
I really appreciate your help.
If you come back to read this......may I ask you something? Do you take squirrels for soft release, or just raise the babies for release? I wish I could find a place that did that around here. You say you're near Santa Claus. Where IS that anyway? I know it's not the North Pole! <laughing>

I visited your web site, and I think you're amazing! :wahoo
Those squirrels are so beautiful and healthy and FAT! Gorgeous! I envy you, being able to do this. How satisfying your life must be.
Bless you~

Hi Molly,

:thankyou on behalf of my squirrels! They are all good babies!

I hope the information is helpful. I do take squirrels for soft release. It's not the mainstay of the sanctuary, but we are positioned in a place where squirrels have a wonderful chance at a great life (especially when they don't leave my deck! :D

If you send me a private message with your approximate location, I can keep it on file and if I find a soft release facility in your area, I can let you know. I don't know off hand of any other facilities like Tomo's; I purchased the property for this purpose.