PDA

View Full Version : Timothy cubes okay???

newsqmom
06-04-2008, 05:34 PM
I have been to three pet stores and cannot find rodent block. However, I did find Timothy cubes. Are these the same? Can I use them? The squirrels are not eating them yet but I did read that I should put them in the cage so they can get used to the smell.

Thanks!!!

4skwerlz
06-04-2008, 05:38 PM
I have been to three pet stores and cannot find rodent block. However, I did find Timothy cubes. Are these the same? Can I use them? The squirrels are not eating them yet but I did read that I should put them in the cage so they can get used to the smell.

Thanks!!!

Sorry, not healthy for squirrels. The Kaytee rodent blocks are available at Petsmart. You can order Harlan Teklad rodent block online at the crafty rat website.

squirrel princess
06-04-2008, 05:39 PM
no not the same thing:poke they probably had what you needed you just did not realize because it was named something else. Every pet store I have ever been in it is what is in the food bowls for the hamsters rats and rodents in general. Walmart carries it :thumbsup I would not use the timothy it is more for rabbits:peace

newsqmom
06-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Got the Timothy cubes at Petsmart. I didn't see anything called "rodent cubes". Is there another name or could you tell me what they look like and/or are made of? I saw Alfalfa cubes and carrot sticks. There were blocks of seeds but I don't think that's right. I'll keep looking and donate my Timothy cubes to a fellow teacher with a rabbit in her classroom...

4skwerlz
06-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Got the Timothy cubes at Petsmart. I didn't see anything called "rodent cubes". Is there another name or could you tell me what they look like and/or are made of? I saw Alfalfa cubes and carrot sticks. There were blocks of seeds but I don't think that's right. I'll keep looking and donate my Timothy cubes to a fellow teacher with a rabbit in her classroom...

Yes, it is confusing. They are often not called "rodent block" but something else.

Forti-Diet Mouse & Rat Food

Kaytee Forti-Diet Mouse & Rat Food (pet block) offers fortified, palatable pellets that small animals love! This wholesome formula provides the essential nutrients to ensure better appearance while enhancing the health of small pets.

squirrel princess
06-04-2008, 06:58 PM
ThAT IS WHAT I HAVE IT IS PRETTY COMMON:thumbsup

newsqmom
06-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Okay... now I know what I am looking for. I was searching for something that actually looked like a block, maybe 1" by 1". I think the ones you pictured are much smaller.

Thanks again!!!

newsqmom
06-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Okay... I picked up the rodent block at Petsmart. I have put a few in the cage and one has started to nibble on them (the others are not at all interested). I tried to offer some cucumber today but there were no takers. All three now have opened their eyes (Thursday). They are soooo cute!!! Sushi is still much smaller than her brother and sister. I think she may very well be the runt! She's at least an inch smaller! But she can climb and snuggle with the best of them.

Anyway, I gave them all a bath today and have placed a rabbit cage liner in their cage to absorb some of the pee smell. Man, they pee and poop all over the place. I am hoping they will pick a spot and use it instead of going all over the cage.

Well, I'm off to feed them (Has it been 4 hours already????). I'll post some pics soon.

Thanks for ALL your help. I really think I can do this squirrel raising thing know that you are all there for such excellent support!!!

Denise (aka newsqmom)