PDA

View Full Version : found a baby need advice

linz2491
05-29-2008, 12:18 AM
Ok my mom and I do dog rescue and have a enclosed 1/4 acre where the kennels are and the dogs run around when suprivised. My mom found a baby squirrel inside this enclosure yesterday morning. It was cold and not doing well. there are holes from squirrels or gophers or something in the run as well as a large tree that overhangs so we don't know if this is a tree squirrel or a ground squirrel or if it is the same. It is grey. She put it in a tupperware with rags to warm it up and put it on a table with some food she happened to have and a little water. When I went to look in on it a couple hours later it had excaped so we figured it was better. A few hours after she found it again about 15 feet away. she brought it home and gave it pedielite from the evening till early afternoon today when she got just born. We have mixed it 1 part formula to 1 1/2 water and tried to feed her. she seems to be fairly perky but she is young I am thinking 6 weeks her eyes are open and she can obviously move around but she is tiny. she kindof only half ass takes the milk and when I go for a refill she loses interest and curls up to her rice sock. I want to make sure she is getting enough to eat. I have offered her banana and rat pellets and I think she may have nippled on the banana a tiny tiny bit. anything else I should do? anything I should watch for? she was out for hours when she excaped and no mom came for her but dogs were out in the time frame so it would not have been really easy for her either. Is it too late to try and reunite baby with the mom? It was already cold when my mom found it in the morning. When it is ready to be released should I do it in the same place we found her in? So far there have been no dog related squirrel fatalitles as the dogs are always in kennels unless we are right there with them. thanks for the help!

Jackie in Tampa
05-29-2008, 05:52 AM
:Welcome Thank you for helping little guy. Someone will be on shortly to help you.
If you have a heating pad set on low. Place tupperware half on and half off heating pad...rice buddy is also good.
Since you rescue dogs...do you have esbilac? This is choice with our rehabbers.
Thank you for caring for him and the pedialyte was good. Sounds like you are helping him...
yes they are escapesters.....t-shirts are good, so is fleece...not towels or loopy rags.
Hang in there someone will be here shortly.:grouphug

island rehabber
05-29-2008, 06:34 AM
Linz, Jackie gave you great advice above. Keep that baby warm and in a quiet place in the home if you can. The heating pad or rice buddy is definitely the way to go. People have raised baby squirrels on Just Born but if you have Esbilac puppy formula on hand it is much, much better. You should feed the baby with a small syringe -- 1cc or 3cc, no needle, and no larger than that, preferably with a nipple attachment. These are all available from chris's www.squirrelsandmore.com -- if you can't get them at a pet supply near you. If you can weigh the baby and even post a picture of her, it will help us to really get you on the right track. :):thumbsup