PDA

View Full Version : Maybe good news :-)

Apple Corps
07-17-2006, 06:19 PM
As summer progresses we are losing our ability to tell one squirrel from another. Both weight and color are changing. I think Nutty Buddy returned yesterday. He bounded right up to the patio when he saw me wave him in and grabbed some pecans and walnuts - along with some apple and water. He has a very pronounced "spirited" movement - not 100% sure but almost positive. Very minor limp present but very much improved.

My wife and I have concluded that the best we can do is provide a safe haven for our friends - plenty of food, water, attention and care. We will certainly take care of any needs that we can - but they appear to really love their freedom of the trees!

On a side note - a big commotion along the fence top where 4 blue jays were trying to hurry a huge mother possum along her way. Some baby blue jays are now flying INTO one of our squirrel water bowls to bathe :-0 Off to the garden center in the morning to get a small bird bath for them. Word must be spreading about our yard. It really is amazing what you can experience if you just slow down and look and care. Even the hyper active blue jays are allowing us to walk by them w/o flying off in fear. The squirrels have not yet sorted out what to make of me on crutches - they have made a few light speed scrambles up the trees as I clanked their way - they stop - see me waving them in - and then return to the patio.

Cheers!