PDA

View Full Version : Zippy needs a clippy

Tommyboy
07-15-2006, 10:32 AM
Can you clip squirrels claws/nails or do I have to get used the scaring of my body from the little she-devil ?
I was thinking of perhaps (if OK) using the typical dog type nail clippers.....

Thank for any help !
~tommyboy

island rehabber
07-15-2006, 11:21 AM
I believe you can clip their nails with a small cat or dog-type clipper. Check out the "Squirrels as Pets" forum for threads on this subject -- I think someone did post a message about how they do it.

Squirrelly1
07-15-2006, 01:14 PM
I would use human nail clippers, they are easier to control. It has been my experience that I could not clip them very far back at all because the quick is very close to the tip of the nail. You should be able to see a clear area on the very tip of the nail - that is all that I would ever trim on my little guy.

Tommyboy
07-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Thanks, I'll try that...... I just want to take the "needle tips" off :-)

GhosTS
07-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Be sure only to clip the tip.Or he will bleed badly.

Tommyboy
07-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Hi There. To answer your question Yes you can clip their claws but as was told only the tip. I use nail clippers small ones and works good on my Baby-Chance and she is 3 years old I do them once a week. If you start very young to rub their feet often and just touch with the clippers in time they get use to it. At first yes was a fight took two of us to get her claws done. Now she lays on her back on my lap and I can clip away and done in one minute. Oh, yes having that tip removed sure does help alot on the skin. I call it the fish hook (ha-ha) Good luck with your baby.

Thanx alot, yea this 1st time may be very memoriable for the both of us.

muffinsquirrel
07-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Try putting her feed bowl on a large flat rock, so that the nails will stay worn down as she walks across it. And give her lots of good thick branches to play on - that will keep her nails trimmed and also help keep her teeth the right length.

muffinsquirrel