PDA

View Full Version : diet

Christy
07-11-2006, 08:31 PM
What is the best Diet for my Baby ?and how do I tell what type of baby I have I read the differant type I want to know what my twister is:Love_Icon
Christy & Twister

island rehabber
07-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Christy we need to know a little more about your squirrel baby....if you can post a picture that would be great. Or, describe him: size, fur, color, fluffy tail or skinny tail, etc. If he is less than 8-10 weeks old he needs to be getting puppy formula (Esbilac) by syringe at least 3 times a day...maybe more. If he is older, he needs a calcium-rich diet. Please give us some detail when you get a chance!

Squirrelly1
07-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Hi! Hope your little one is doing well. As a reminder - remember that babies can aspirate liquids (get liquid in their lungs) very easily which will give them aspiration pneumonia, so make sure that when you give him formula that you hold him at about a 45 degree angle and feed him VERY slowly. If I can get my scanner to work I will try to post up a pic of the best feeding position.

Squirrelly1
07-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Lemme' know if this doesn't work right.....but here are the pics.

island rehabber
07-12-2006, 06:44 AM
:goodpost Squirrelly1.....
Also with very small babies I sometimes angle the syringe so that the nipple tip is pointed toward one side of their cheek, not straight down the throat, for added protection against aspirating. Just a little tip I got from Shirley Casey's class.

Squirrelly1
07-12-2006, 09:19 AM
:goodpost Squirrelly1.....
Also with very small babies I sometimes angle the syringe so that the nipple tip is pointed toward one side of their cheek, not straight down the throat, for added protection against aspirating. Just a little tip I got from Shirley Casey's class.

:thumbsup Island rehabber - I forgot to mention that....very important!
Aren't the Casey's great?!

island rehabber
07-12-2006, 09:52 AM
:thumbsup Island rehabber - I forgot to mention that....very important!
Aren't the Casey's great?!

I love them! Their two-day Squirrel Seminar was the best I've ever taken, and the Squirrel Handbook is excellent (although it seriously needs an Index, dammit!) . Shirley's method of teaching is so effective you really retain what she says for years afterward, and that's the whole idea. :)

Momma Squirrel
07-12-2006, 10:54 AM
Are these seminars just for rehabbers or can anyone go?

Squirrelly1
07-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Are these seminars just for rehabbers or can anyone go?

It is like a $100 for a rehabber or rehabber affiliate and then I believe around $30-40 for the manual.
Their web site is www.ewildagain.org If you want to find out for sure. I am a vet tech, so that is why I could attend..... you might want to make sure that it is open to the general public.

I actually developed appendicitis and had emergency surgery (Saturday)the same weekend I was supposed to attend the seminar, I even tried to go Sunday after my surgery, but my ex hid my keys so that I couldn't drive!
I wanted to go soooo bad but they were super nice and helpful with all my questions online!!!!!!!!!!!!

Momma Squirrel
07-12-2006, 04:40 PM
OMG hope you are doing well? Make him wait on you hand and foot LOL I will check out the link, I would love to learn all I can so when I make Squerly retire and we are living in the woods I will have something to do.

Squirrelly1
07-13-2006, 09:40 PM
OMG hope you are doing well? Make him wait on you hand and foot LOL I will check out the link, I would love to learn all I can so when I make Squerly retire and we are living in the woods I will have something to do.

Doing great - this was last year, but who needs their appendix anyway right?
Lemme know what you find out from the site.
You will really enjoy the manual! It is awesome!!!