PDA

View Full Version : Newborn bunnies

susanjeanine
04-19-2008, 04:57 PM
My boyfriend has rescued two baby bunnies whos mother was killed and I cant find anyone to take them. You all were wonderful in finding a rehaber (ILL) for our Earl the squirrel who by the way was just released last week into the wild. Please help!!!

Thank You,
SusanJeanine

Gabe
04-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Would the rehabber that took Earl be able to help? She should know who takes bunnies in your area.

susanjeanine
04-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Thank you so much for replying. No the eyes are not open they dont even take up all the room in my BFs hand. We are trying to feed them kitten milk with no luck at all. One of them is not doing very well. It is just breaking our hearts. Its for NJ ILL is I LOVE LUCY who rehabed our Earl.

SusanJeanine

susanjeanine
04-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Thank you so much for the #s. I will keep you posted. God bless you for your wonderful work!

SusanJeanine

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
04-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Baby bunnies are very hard to feed. They aspirate easilly and are very prone to respiratory infections. Be VERY careful feeding them. I would actually hold off on feeding them and let the rehabber feed them. They can go without eating for a full day and be ok, so it is better to go without them eating than for them to aspirate. Have you had any luck finding a rehabber yet?

island rehabber
04-19-2008, 06:41 PM
susanjeanine, on the NJ list I know Linda Mihatov personally and she is a fantastic rehabber.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Great work, Gammas :thumbsup. By the time I dug around for Linda's number you had come up with her and 20 others :D :bowdown

susanjeanine
04-19-2008, 08:01 PM
We have left word at all the local #s on the list with no responce yet. Called Lindas # and its busy. Will keep trying every few minutes. The poor babies have not had anything to eat for 24 hours so I know they need help tonight. They have started to move around alot in the last hour. Should we try to feed them soon or wait?

SusanJeanine

TexanSquirrel
04-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Good luck!

susanjeanine
04-19-2008, 08:23 PM
We have eye droppers and a syringe and canned kittens milk. My BF tried to feed them but they would not take any. I took some pics of them, how do I post them for u to see? Again thank you so much for helping.

SusanJeanine

susanjeanine
04-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Sorry the pic was so big Im not very good with PCs sorry!

SusanJeanine

Apple Corps
04-19-2008, 08:29 PM
A quick read for you:

http://www.rabbit.org/care/orphan.html

Cute bunnies deserve a BIG PIC :-)

susanjeanine
04-19-2008, 09:08 PM
I got the little guys to eat a full eye dropper each and they are sleeping now. Thank you Apple for the link Im going there right now. I feel better now that they have had something to drink but am hoping someone weve left a message with will get back to us. Will keep you posted.

SusanJeanine:thumbsup

Loopy Squirrel
04-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Are the bunnies on heat because they won't eat if they are cold? I would only give pedialyte right now. They may be dehydrated and they can't process milk until hydrated. I would make sure they are warm and if you have pedialyte warm it first. Bunnies like it slightly warmer than most other animals but not hot enough to burn. This may sound crazy but I have had sucess feeding them on their backs. A fellow rehabber friend read an article about how mom bunnies come over the nest and the babies nurse under her on their backs. Well, she decided to try it w/ a reluctant to feed baby and it worked. Be very careful though because bunnies noses are so close to their mouth and it is very easy to aspirate them. If they won't nurse just try feeding drip by drip. I would also try to get them to potty first...sorry forgot to mention that first. Sometimes when they have to go they won't eat. Hopefully this will help get you started.

Apple Corps
04-19-2008, 09:57 PM
CAUTION - the link I provided said NO EXTERNAL HEAT if room temp is 65 F or higher????

DO NOT provide extra heat if the room temperature is at least 65 to 70F because excessive heat can be fatal. If the room is much cooler, then you may place a heating pad on a low setting under no more than HALF of the nest so the bunny can move to a cooler area if it gets too warm.

I know zip about bunnies - just posting an alert from the link.

Gabe
04-20-2008, 06:40 AM
I don't know about that link AC. I give all my bunnies external heat. They die without it.
Especially these bunnies that are sick and undernourished. The heat will slow down their metabolism and keep them from burning fuel they don't have, thereby starving to death.

Apple Corps
04-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Gabe - thanks for chiming in - I have zero knowledge about bunnies.

Gabe
04-20-2008, 02:36 PM
AC- Even those with the knowledge often have zero luck with the bunnies.:)

susanjeanine
04-20-2008, 04:04 PM
To all the wonderful people at the board,

Good news!! I found a rehabber to take the bunnies and she said they are doing fine! God bless each and everyone of you for helping these sweet little babies. I wish I could live in the beautiful home that I took them to lol. For the 2nd time you all have helped me and again I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

SusanJeanine

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
04-20-2008, 06:41 PM
:wahoo Glad they made it to a rehabber. I hope they do well!

TexanSquirrel
04-20-2008, 06:59 PM
:alright.gif :alright.gif :alright.gif