PDA

View Full Version : Hello im new here and found a baby squirrel.

LuckySquirrel
04-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Hello im from South Dakota and on Thursday night i found a baby squirrel under my tree(it must have fallen) and her eyes where still closed. it was during a winter storm, it was snowing,freezing outside and very windy. Well when i brought her in she wasnt breathing i rub her and rub her with a warm towel in front of a heater and well she came back to me. Now i have no idea what to do on caring i did get veta-lac puppy formula for her. i need all the help i can get thanks

island rehabber
04-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Hi and :Welcome! First, I'm going to move your post to our "Emergency" thread so more people will see it and respond to you. Second, a lot of critical information is in our Baby Squirrel ABC's section on the main Forum page. Keep the baby in a warm, dark, quiet place. I have never heard of veta-lac formula; Esbilac puppy formula is the best for squirrels, or Fox Valley. Can you post a pic of the squirrel, or tell us what it looks like (fully furred, partially furred, eyes opened or closed, etc??)

The following info should help you:

Emergency Care for Baby Squirrels

Don’ts
Don’t try to feed the squirrel.
Don’t handle him more than you have to.
No loud voices, TV, music, or bright lights.
No children or pets in the same room!

1. Warm the Baby (never feed a cold squirrel!)

Quick Methods:
-Cup the baby in your hands or under your shirt next to your skin.
-Fill a plastic bottle with very warm water. Wrap in a cloth, place next to baby, and cover him. Reheat every 2 hours.
-“Rice Buddy”: Fill a sock with 1 cup of rice or dried beans and microwave for 30 seconds. Place next to baby and cover him. Reheat every 2 hours.

2. Find a Box or Container
A shoebox will do for small babies. A baby that can walk will need a larger box with a lid (with holes). Put a clean baby blanket, flannel shirt, or piece of fleece in the bottom of the box. No towels or terrycloth. Squirrels can get tangled in the loops. Place baby on the material and cover him with one flap. If you have a heating pad, turn it on low and place it under half of the box (not IN the box!) so baby can move away if he gets too warm. You can use the plastic bottle or rice buddy described above, but these are only temporary methods until you get a heating pad, since they must be reheated every 2 hours and won't keep baby warm all night.
NOTE: Monitor his temperature so he doesn’t chill or overheat. His feet should feel warm to the touch.

3. Decide Who Will Care for the Baby

The Squirrel’s Mother—If the squirrel seems healthy, you might be able to return it to its mother—the best choice. The folks on The Squirrel Board can tell you how to do this.

Rehabber or Vet—If reunion with mom is impossible, the baby will have the best chance to live if you contact an experienced rehabber. The Squirrel Board folks will be happy to help you find someone nearby.

Yourself—If you’re thinking about taking care of the baby yourself, please remember:
--The squirrel will have to be fed every few hours—night and day.
--You will need supplies that will cost at least $250.00.
--If the baby gets worse, it will need emergency vet treatment, which is expensive.
--It is illegal in most states to possess a wild squirrel for any reason.
--Most squirrels eventually turn wild and will have to be released.
--Most squirrels raised by the people who find them die within 2 weeks.

If you still want to raise this baby yourself, the folks on The Squirrel Board are here to help.

If the baby is injured, is having trouble breathing, has fly eggs on his fur, or is very skinny or dehydrated, he needs emergency care by an experienced rehabber or vet.

Rehydrating a Baby Squirrel

Most babies are dehydrated when you find them and must be rehydrated before you can feed them. Never feed formula or food of any kind to a dehydrated baby!

Check for Dehydration
Pinch the skin on the back of his neck. If it doesn’t spring back immediately, the baby is dehydrated. If the pinched skin stays up like a tent for more than a second, the baby is badly dehydrated. Other signs of dehydration: pale grayish gums, dry mouth, sunken eyes, whites around eyes showing, rough spiky fur, dry scaly skin.
NOTE: If baby is badly dehydrated, he will need subcutaneous fluids, which can only be given by a rehabber or vet.

Supplies You Will Need:
--Heating pad without auto shut-off (if you don’t already have one)
--Pedialyte (any flavor)*
--Plastic syringes (1 cc size; no needles. Ask the pharmacist to get these for you) An eyedropper can also work.
These are available at most drugstores. You can also order supplies from Chris’ Squirrels and More. (http://www.squirrelsandmore.com (http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/))

*If you can’t find Pedialyte at the store, here is a recipe for homemade Pedialyte:
--1 teaspoon salt
--3 Tablespoons sugar
--1 quart warm water
Mix all ingredients in warm water. Store in refrigerator.

How to Prepare the Pedialyte
Use a plastic syringe (with or without a nipple). Never use pet nursers or doll bottles. They will choke the baby. Fill a coffee mug with hot water. Fill the syringe with Pedialyte and place it in the mug for a couple of minutes. Squirt a drop on the inside of your wrist to make sure the liquid isn’t too hot. It should feel barely warm on your skin.

Proper Position
A tiny baby can be held in your hand. A baby with fur can lie on a flat surface on his stomach. A baby that can walk can be held upright or he can drink sitting up. Hold the syringe so the tip points UP to the baby’s mouth and the handle is down. Don’t let the baby get cold. Keep him wrapped up while he eats.

How to Feed Fluids
Place the syringe tip on the baby’s lips (from the side) and squeeze out one drop for him to taste. Don’t squirt a steady stream. Let him swallow one drop before squeezing more. GO SLOW! It sometimes takes a feeding or two for them to catch on. Hairless babies are fed drop by drop. With older babies (once they catch on) you can squeeze slowly for one second, wait for him to swallow, then squeeze more.

If fluids dribble out his mouth or come out his nose, you are going too fast. Stop and tilt the baby’s head down so the fluid drains out (support his head and neck like you would a human baby). Then wipe his nose and mouth with a tissue. Start over, slower. NOTE: There is now a chance your baby will develop aspiration pneumonia from inhaling fluid in his lungs. This is fatal. Please contact a rehabber or vet, or the people at The Squirrel Board, for assistance.

How Much Fluid to Feed
Give 1/2 to 1 cc every 30 minutes for the first 2 hours. Then give it every 2 hours around the clock. Do not feed Pedialyte for more than 24 hours. It is not a subsitute for formula. Refrigerate Pedialyte after opening. Throw away any open bottles after 3 days.

Check the baby every few hours using the “pinch test” described above. As baby rehydrates, he should “perk up” and become more active. Rehydrate all babies for at least 2 hours before feeding formula or food of any kind. Severely dehydrated babies should be rehydrated for 24 hours before feeding.
Note: If your baby will not take any fluids, he must go to a rehabber immediately or he will die.

Potty Time
A baby that is not fully furred will need help to pee and poo. Normally, the squirrel’s mother will lick the baby’s belly and bottom to stimulate him to go. Before and after feeding, use a warm, damp kleenex, cotton ball, or soft cloth to gently tickle the baby’s genital area. Do this until baby goes. NOTE: A dehydrated baby may not pee or poo until he has had several feedings of Pedialyte.
:wave123
images/buttons/edit.gif (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=190847)

LuckySquirrel
04-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks for moving it. Well when i found her eyes where closed. But this morning for the firsrt time her eyes where opened. I gave her pedalite for the first day to help dehydrate her. And now i have been feeding the formula. I bought that formula at my vets. no one in town carrys the others. and they said that it was the closet to it. But she is fully furred, eyes are now open, im thinking she is about 5 weeks old. i did post a picture of her in another thread not sure how to show. But here is a picture of her on the first night i found her. I also have a heating pad on low under blankets and she has had that ever since i found her. I have also been feeding her every 4 hours. I did warm her up also before feeding her the very first time.( i did do some reading before i did anything) But now she is starting to look bloated. i can take a picture of her tummy in a few mins if that will help.

LuckySquirrel
04-14-2008, 04:05 PM
This is her this morning. oh yes i also tryed to get her to someone that knows what they are doing. I was told to put her back under the tree. I couldnt do that. So they said if i didnt want to put her back under the tree then to keep her and raise her myself. thats what game and park told me to do. :)
so i need lots of help.

LuckySquirrel
04-14-2008, 04:22 PM
I just took a picture of her tummy it doesnt look that bad any more. She has pooped for me it was black. Hard to tell if she has peed yet.

Apple Corps
04-14-2008, 04:43 PM
I'll add my :Welcome as well - lots of help for you and your lil fuzzer. She is a real cutie - thanks for caring for her.

Get ready for a lot of questions from TSB members - that way we can give you the best advice :D :D

Here is a link for ordering supplies:

http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/product/1522/esbilac-12-oz-powder.htm

Also - putting that lil fuzzer back out in those conditions = Suffering & DEATH :soapbox :soapbox It makes one wonder about some of the people that are supposed to help critters :shakehead :shakehead

Your feeding position looks pretty good - head elevated above the torso / tummy and go slooooooow on feeding. If she gets formula into the lungs (aspiration) she will most likely have to be put on an antibiotic - slow feeding with the proper position can avoid that.

Welcome again !!

LuckySquirrel
04-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Ok great thanks for the welcome. Im waiting for the questions lol i just got done feeding her. Her tummy looks alot better. Yes i know i couldnt believe there response about this cute little girl. Thats why i took her in. :)
Normally how long before i can stop cleaning her area to pee and poop after and before each feeding.

TexanSquirrel
04-14-2008, 05:10 PM
:Welcome Good luck with her!

Apple Corps
04-14-2008, 05:11 PM
LS - my guess is that you may have another week or two at most - she may be close to handling her "bathroom" duties now - she looks pretty well furred.

Are you planning on keeping her as a house squirrel?

LuckySquirrel
04-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Honestly she is a beautiful girl but she is a wild animal and i would love to keep it that way and let her free when she is able. But then again im not sure. I want to do whats best for her and thats it. :)
oh yes and she has a lot of fur . :)

Gabe
04-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Can you tell me what the percent of fat and protein is in the formula? It should tell you on the label.

atlantasquirrelgirl
04-14-2008, 05:23 PM
The black poo is normal. It will turn a mustard yellow with the puppy formula.

Since she hasn't pee'ed for you, try a quick hydration test. Pinch the scruff on the back of her neck and see if it remains tented. If it does, then she needs more fluids. It's important that she's hydrated before fed, and warmed before given either fluids or formula. Sounds like you've got the warming part taken care of.

You'll notice that she will start wetting/and pooping in the bedding on her own, doing less for you, and a bit squirmy when you try to stimulate her. That's how you'll know she's doing fine with the bathroom business on her own.

Sometimes, their eyes will open on early if they are stressed, like after a fall, or lots of noise in the room where she's being kept. It will take a little while for her to get focussed.

You can also get nipples at that same link listed in this thread. That will make feeding her a lot easier than using the hard end of the syrenge.

Glad her tummy is doing better, and sounds like you are doing a good job.

GoldenEyes
04-14-2008, 05:23 PM
:Welcome LuckySquirrel and :thankyou for saving the cuddly little baby.:)

LuckySquirrel
04-14-2008, 05:30 PM
I have been feeding her according to a squirrel site that i found.
Which is as follows
Age 2-3 weeks, feed 5 times a day, start at 1 1/2 cc of formula and increase to 3 cc

Age 4-5 weeks, feed 4 times a day, start at 3 1/2 cc of formula and increase to 5 cc

Age 6-7 weeks, feed 4 times a day, start at 6 cc of formula and increase to 9 cc

Age 8 weeks, feed 10 to 14 cc twice a day. Begin weaning onto small pieces of solid food.
I have been feeding about every 4 hours or so and she is getting 4cc right now.

and on the label the fat is 35 %
and the protein is 25%

also posted this in the other post to. :)

Gabe
04-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Sorry. I'm jumping from thread to thread also.
IR HELP!!!!! Can you combine these threads and delete one? This is getting very confusing.:shakehead

LuckySquirrel
04-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Yes that would be great thanks again Gabe. lol

Gabe
04-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Esbilac is 40% Fat
33% Protein

As you can see she needs higher levels of each. It will not kill her to start her on your formula but she will need to be switched. The formula can be adjusted a bit by adding various ingredients and may be ok as she is on the way to weaning and no longer a needy pinky.
What do some of you other rehabbers think about that plan?

I would think you are mixing the formula: one part powder, two parts water. You can add 1 part heavy cream to it.

LuckySquirrel
04-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Honestly i would love to get her to a rehabber but i have made many calls and its seems no one wants her they all tell me to put her back where i found her. I dont have the heart to do that. I think its going to be long and hard but if i cant find her a good home or rehabber i will do it myself the best i can.
But if anyone out there can take her that would be great.

TinyPaws
04-14-2008, 07:06 PM
:Welcome :Welcome :Welcome sweet little girl....:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

thundersquirrel
04-14-2008, 07:52 PM
:Welcome luckysquirrel! that's an awesome username. :)

she looks very healthy- whoever mama was, she did a good job. since it's been so long since you found her, i wouldn't try putting her back outside. keep an eye out for other babies. ;)

we can help you raise this squirrel, but you'll need the right formula and a proper cage to do it. the cage can wait, but the formula needs to happen soon. do they sell esbilac puppy formula where you are?

great job so far. keep us updated. :thumbsup

LuckySquirrel
04-14-2008, 08:13 PM
No they dont but i bought veta-lac puppy formula for her and thats what she has been getting for 2 days now. :)
Thanks

AmyRose
04-14-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm of no help to you, Luckysquirrel, but wanted to thank you very much for taking this baby on, and welcome you here. This board is just full of kind, knowledgeable people.:thankyou

Gabe
04-15-2008, 07:08 AM
Lucky squirrel, I've seen no objections to from the other rehabbers in response to my formula question. So, I think we can move forward and try to get yours to work.
Use one part powder, one part heavy cream, and two parts water. This is still not enough protein or fat for her needs.
See if perhaps you can get her to eat egg. You may try it raw, scrambled and see if she will take it.
Avocado is high in fat also
A nice steak bone that still has a few shreds of meat on it may help.
Just think high fat, and protein when you are making food choices.

thundersquirrel
04-15-2008, 08:52 AM
i think you should order some esbilac online. it's extremely important that she grows up on the correct nutrients. at her age, she'll probably only need one can until she's weaned and eating solids.

you can purchase it here and have it shipped. make sure you get the powder and not the liquid;

http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/product/1522/esbilac-12-oz-powder.htm

LuckySquirrel
04-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Ok great thanks. well for right now i will start adding the cream. But an update on her.
She is doing much better today no bloating at all. She also peed last night and peed and pooped this morning for me. poops where yellow. and lots of pee. hehe
I was happy.

Im just woundering what type of houseing/bedding/cage do i use for this young baby.
Right now she is in a 10 gallon tank(all i had at the time) with blankets under her and under the tank is a heating pad. Then i have a tissue box for her to hide in and a sheet that goes over the top of that to keep her warm she seems to love it. Oh yes she cant really walk yet either just trys and gets a little ways. :) very cute
But what does everyone think about that setup let me know if im doing something wrong. :)

Gabe
04-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Excellent set up. It's what I use at this age.:thumbsup

LuckySquirrel
04-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Awesome thanks so much. Im so glad and happy with myself that everything is going great now. And that her cage is ok for her. :) Very good news hehe.
Another question i have noticed her making some kind of noise like when i move the sheet to feed her. Not sure if its just a squirrel noise or possibly pneumonia. But only hear about 2 times a day or so. But im not in the room with her at all times so it could be more.
Thanks

LuckySquirrel
04-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Thank you so much for that post Gammas..If ANY one can help me out that would be so much help. Its hard for me to be able to afford all of this but im trying my best untell we find a rehabber.

thundersquirrel
04-15-2008, 01:34 PM
wish i could help, SO wish it. i'm not sure if we have anyone else from south dakota on the board. i know we have someone in iowa.....

Secret Squirrel
04-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Lucky squirrel, I've seen no objections to from the other rehabbers in response to my formula question. So, I think we can move forward and try to get yours to work.
Use one part powder, one part heavy cream, and two parts water. This is still not enough protein or fat for her needs.
See if perhaps you can get her to eat egg. You may try it raw, scrambled and see if she will take it.
Avocado is high in fat also
A nice steak bone that still has a few shreds of meat on it may help.
Just think high fat, and protein when you are making food choices.

I think the formula is fine for a short period of time just as it is. The squirrel looks fat and health. Add the heavy cream if you must....not whipped cream. Full fat yougert with no artifical sweetner is OK too.
If you can get the esbilac soon ( Chris can ship it overnight if you can afford it ) Then there is no need to have 3 changes to her diet. That can mess up her gut for several days. And we all love healthy poop !!!

I don't agree with the bone and meat idea. Sounds gross to me. She is just a baby and proper formula with rodent food or monkey chow is a good start.
Good luck and I hope you find someone close to you for help. Call a few vets and see if they know any rehabers in your area. It's worth a few phone calls. :Welcome

LuckySquirrel
04-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks so much for the post. I have called all the vets i know and game and fish they all say theres nothing they can do. They tell me to put her back where i found her or raise her. And it is hard for me to afford alot of stuff. So the sooner i can get her to a rehabber the better. But will keep doing my best.
thanks again

Secret Squirrel
04-15-2008, 03:57 PM
I am sorry you are not getting the contacts you need in your area. Have you looked for the mother or other babies ? If you see an adult squirrel look for a nursing momma....her tits will be large....it just maybe her mom....still looking for her baby. 24 hours isn't too long of a time to try and reunight them. It's worth a shot.
Until then your all she has....and good job for not listining to the folks who told you to put her back out in the snow. She wouldn't have lasted long with out you!!!:grouphug

LuckySquirrel
04-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Yes i have looked around i have had her since Thursday so i believe it has been to long now its been way over 24 hours. But yes im so glad i found Lucky. :)

Secret Squirrel
04-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Yes i have looked around i have had her since Thursday so i believe it has been to long now its been way over 24 hours. But yes im so glad i found Lucky. :)

sorry...I was going by the first post you made....my bad!!!
Looks like your momma now :thumbsup Try and get the formula from squirrels and more...it's the best thing. Esbilac is best!!

If you can list the ingreadence on the formula you are using....all of it and the %'s too.

You can PM me and I can help you get the esbilac....my treat !!!!

LuckySquirrel
04-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Wow thanks well i got the formula here are the ingredients and percents. :)
Here is a site i found that sells the formula i am using it list everything on there for you. :)
http://www.drugs.com/vet/veta-lac-canine.html

Secret Squirrel
04-15-2008, 11:31 PM
Good new ya'all :thumbsup
Esbilac, rodent block and monkey chow are on the way !!!! Chris is throwing in some nipples and syrings too !!!! :wahoo
GM are you still looking for someone to help her in SD ???? Or anyone else ????
Lucky needs our help :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Abacat
04-16-2008, 05:50 AM
:Welcome LuckySquirrel. You're doing great. :thumbsup
:bow Secret Squirrel, that was very nice of you to help Brittney.
The only rehabber I found online was in Rapid City, and does bats...:sorry, no help here.

susanw
04-16-2008, 04:02 PM
I just read her other thread and she has found a rehabber, thanks to Mars! :thumbsup

LuckySquirrel
04-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Yes i have THANK YOU EVERYONE... I meet her tomorrow morning and she already has 5 squirrels ...YAY

Thank you Mars.. :thankyou
:wahoo

Feeze
04-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Wonderful!:thumbsup Thanks Mars!:wott

Secret Squirrel
04-17-2008, 08:54 AM
Awesome Luckysquirrel...thank you Mars...you got all the good contacts :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Let us know how the transfer went. Lucky squirrel is lucky to have you. Thank you for caring for her, she would surly have perished without you and your care Brittney.
:alright.gif Awesome job at TSB once again !!!!:alright.gif

LuckySquirrel
04-17-2008, 02:49 PM
UPDATE: Lucky is doing GREAT they told me i did a wounderful job. The lady told me she weighs the perfect amount, eat well(really well lol) And everything is perfect. Im so so thankful to all i have said this but its hard to put into words. But she is now with a rehabber and i just got off the phone and she told me she would keep her nae Lucky, she is going to send me lots of pictues, and she said she will call me to update me and i can also call whenever i want to see how she is doing.

This could not have worked out better. :)
:wahoo
:thankyou

Gabe
04-17-2008, 03:00 PM
That sure is one "Lucky" Squirrel.:)

FuzzyTail
04-17-2008, 03:07 PM
What a perfect ending for a perfect rescue!!! :thumbsup

You are My Hero for Today for doing the right thing and getting her the help she needed!!!:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon